Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't know what to do :(

alicia.xxalicia.xx Alum Member
edited May 2019 in General 56 karma

I've written the LSAT twice before (2017 and 2018) - I scored in the 140s both times. I've been studying on/off for 2-3 years but for the past couple months I've really dedicated all my time to the LSAT. However, I'm frustrated and shocked that I'm still scoring in that range. I'm scheduled to write the LSAT on Monday :(

I've completed the core curriculum with 7 Sage and completed a few practice tests, drilling and blind review. But I'm still averaging -13 on LR, -10 LG, -15 RC.

The 7 Sage curriculum is amazing and it's the most engaging platform for LSAT prep (imo). I've seen the slightest improvement in my score but it's so insignificant (low 140s to mid 140s). I think it's just me and my own inability. I am not improving. I'm putting in the work. I have the perseverance, stamina and motivation to keep trying since I've written it twice before. Going to law school is what I want more than anything and I've had this goal for several years even before undergrad. It's a hard reality to face when I've been trying to get better at the LSAT for so long and not improving significantly. I feel so hopeless right now.

I have an excellent GPA but my very low LSAT score will not compensate for that. I just need a mid 150. I know it's a learnable test but maybe not for me because why am I not improving? I'm drilling question types and reviewing notes I've made on each question type. But I'm still missing them and running out of time.

I feel at my lowest right now...thinking about giving up on a dream that I've had for so long. It's also the anxiety knowing I'm writing Monday and will get the same score I have in the past.

I just don't know what to do. I really don't want to give up but it feels like the only choice.

If any of you have any comments, opinions or feedback on my situation, I would truly appreciate it even if it's not what I want to hear.

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

Don't give up on it. It may be too late to improve by Monday but take it again. Make your sole focus Logic Games, it is the section you can learn the most. If you are getting -10 then you have some understanding of the games which means you have a starting point. This -10 can become -2 in a few months.

• whatlieswithinmewhatlieswithinme Alum Member
    edited May 2019 53 karma

I think taking the core curriculum and "a few practice tests" are not enough for getting 150+ scores. As far as I know, most of the students who've got high scores had taken at least 80% of all the preps and even reviewed more than twice.
    I am also not yet prepared, but I think taking the steps that others have done is necessary for me to get the score that I'm aiming at. So don't blame yourself (I think you are smart enough!) but if you really want to get into law school, you'd better take more time and set a goal to practice almost all the preps (there are more than 80 preps, and that's a lot..) and then decide whether the LSAT is learnable or not. You would finally think "the LSAT is learnable" as others do.
    + I also started with Starter course, and then I upgraded it to Ultimate. and there is no regret at all. You will get more than the money you invest.

• AutumnMoon88AutumnMoon88 Alum Member
    65 karma

Is there any way you can not write this exam? I'm sorry if that's a careless suggestion; I don't mean it that way (I'm not far enough into prepping and haven't done any research yet on changing test dates etc so I don't know if it's even possible) but it sounds like you already know you're not ready yet to re-take the exam (?). Josh's lesson on what to do after completing the CC is very detailed and seems like a sound strategy that you could employ to raise your score -- I think if you can put all of that into practice your score will improve (especially since you're already so motivated and dedicated) but unfortunately it will take more time. Best of luck to you!!

• lydia.huang105lydia.huang105 Alum Member
    41 karma

I am in the exact same boat. Getting two scores of mid high 140 on the past two LSAT and scoring average on the PTs I've done with a few outliers here and there. I've been going back and fourth on just skipping out on June and doing July etc. Let me tell you, you are not alone. Don't feel destroyed, don't feel like this isn't your path. LSAT is different from any other test you and I might've taken throughout our schooldays. no one said it'd be easy. But no one said it is impossible either. Just keep drilling, keep practicing. When you get that first 155 or more, you'll be real proud of yourself. If you give up now, you'll never get that feeling. That's what I tell myself and that is what keeps me going. That being said, take some breaks here and there because burnout is a big issue when studying and practicing LSAT. I'd say take the June one if you want to just give it a shot anyhow, but sign up for July so you have a safety net to fall to. Since they are giving the option to cancel after seeing the score in July AND a free retake, why not make use of it?
    Since we are on the same boat, feel free to DM me! We can both do this.

• FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    122 karma

I think you need to evaluate really critically how hard you've really been working to prep, and if there are additional steps you can take if you give yourself more time. Plenty of people study "on and off" for long periods of time but really aren't changing anything that they do between tests. To get a different result, you need different preparation. Most often I'd say that the sheer volume of sustained prep needs to improve, but there could be other things. I'd only give up if you really felt that you'd done all you can, which it sounds like maybe you haven't. True score increases require sustained practice, except for maybe LG, IMO.

• consistencyiskeyconsistencyiskey Core Member
    131 karma

Cliche advice, but honestly just keep at it....Progress takes time!

If you study with intensity and consistency (3-6 hours per day excluding breaks, 4-6 days a week) you will reach your goal of 155+ by July, or maybe September.

You just have to put in the time, and critically analyze your weaknesses in blind review. Someone else mentioned this, but do 80% of all practice tests and blind review once or twice.

You mentioned you have the stamina, perseverance and motivation! Just dedicate your life to it this summer and you will be rewarded.

• akats1027akats1027 Member
    37 karma

I am in the EXACT same position that you are in right now. Scored a 140 my first time, studied HARD for 6 months after that to take it again, felt more confident, and BOMBED it at a 137. I cried pretty hard after that happened.

As of last week, I took a practice exam and got a146 (my highest score yet!). I am set to take the test on Monday.

I have a very high GPA and have been studying for the last two years. It honestly sucks to see that your LSAT score does not match all of your other accomplishments, GPA etc.

I have two suggestions for you (and honestly you should consider them because I didn't listen to other people when they told me and I regret it now.)

1. Possibly look into taking an IN-PERSON class and use their materials ALONG WITH 7sage to help you. (I went up a lot in points doing this)

2. Get a personal tutor, invest the money, I think you will see it is beneficial. (I still wish I could have had a tutor, it would have helped me tremendously more)

I also feared that I may have to give up my dream of attending law school. What I can tell you is this: if you feel as though you are scoring the same as the last two tests you've done, I would not take the test on Monday. Don't waste the third chance at taking it for a score that really isn't over 5-10 more points. It is better to loose the money rather to have another test you'll have to explain to admissions. Save it for when you know you are comfortable in your scoring abilities.

My personal Plan B options if i can't get into anywhere right now is to take the GRE exam and apply to Suffolk Law School in Boston which accepts the GRE as a test for applying to get into the law school. I do not have much knowledge of the GRE yet but I have heard it is easier in some respects than the LSAT. With that in mind, if you were to decide to do the GRE, you will have to still show ALL LSAT scores you have. The GRE also has a math section, keep that in mind. (There are a good amount of schools that are starting to accept the GRE.)

Another Plan B option is finding a law school that has much lower entrance requirements to get in. Get in that way, work very hard, and transfer out to another school you'd prefer.

DO NOT GIVE UP. YOU WILL GET THERE. I know everyone is saying that to you, and honestly everyone was saying that to me and it really never made me feel better, but YOU WILL GET THERE. I always said I wanted to start law school immediately after I graduated from college, get a 170 on the LSAT and here I am 2 years out and possibly 3 years out with the hopes of getting a score in the high 140s and maybe getting into one law school I applied to.

MAKE SURE YOU SPEND PLENTY OF TIME PERFECTING YOUR APPLICATION (when you get to that point). You know you have a low LSAT, so make sure everything else on there is great. Have someone proofread your personal statement, get advice about whether or not to include an Addendum about your low LSAT scores.

Best of luck, you are NOT ALONE.
    -Angelika

• elias7291elias7291 Alum Member
    269 karma

@FoolProofFun said:
    I think you need to evaluate really critically how hard you've really been working to prep, and if there are additional steps you can take if you give yourself more time. Plenty of people study "on and off" for long periods of time but really aren't changing anything that they do between tests. To get a different result, you need different preparation. Most often I'd say that the sheer volume of sustained prep needs to improve, but there could be other things. I'd only give up if you really felt that you'd done all you can, which it sounds like maybe you haven't. True score increases require sustained practice, except for maybe LG, IMO.

Ditto. I too have been on-and-off for several years (5 i think at this point). I did take a 3 year "break" when i decided to work in politics. But I recently left my job and dedicated myself to this exam. And it's been a lot of work and disappointment. But i'm now in the very high 150s- low 160s. And this after having cold diagnosed in the 130s (can't remember exactly).

• alicia.xxalicia.xx Alum Member
    56 karma

@zacharytsmith26 @hi_haejin @AutumnMoon88 @"lydia.huang105" @FoolProofFun @danielstudies @akats1027 @elias7291

Thank you all so much for your comments. I can't express how appreciative I am of all your comments. I was feeling so very low when I wrote that yesterday and each and every one of your messages helped me feel much better <3

I'm going to re-evaluate how I am studying because I have a feeling if I give up now I will always regret not pushing myself. I've always put the practice of law on a pedestal and admired lawyers. Giving up now means I'll always feel a sense of emptiness because I 1000% want to practice law and no other career (for me) can compare. The LSAT is designed to weed people out for law school and what I realized and helped me feel better is that this is just another barrier I have to get through. It is an extremely tough barrier but I also worked all throughout undergrad and finished which served as a barrier to get me to this point. This is the finish line to get into law school. I'm already familiar with the test and concepts, I just have to get better. It helps having all of your reassurance that some of you started off with very low scores and managed to improve or that some of you are in the same boat as me.

Thank you for not discouraging me as I truly felt someone should just tell me to give up. It's better I don't give up now than go into a career I don't like and realize 10 years later that right now would've been the perfect time to grind it out.