Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you 7Sage!!

UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
edited December 2019 in General 222 karma

Hi guys, I’ve mostly been a lurker on the forum, but now that my cycle is officially over, I wanted to share a little bit about my LSAT journey and methods. It might not help, and I am no way attempting to plug my study methods. This is just for reference.

My LSAT journey started out in 2016 with the Blueprint Games book. I spent a whole semester on and off familiarizing myself with the games section and going through the book. I took a lot of notes (which in hindsight was not very helpful at all). Then, I learned about 7Sage and purchased the starter pack. At the time, I was still in school full time (STEM major) and working part-time as well, so not a lot of prep time for the LSAT. I was PTing around 160-164, and because I wanted to head straight to law school after graduation, I decided to take the test and wing it. Definitely do not recommend this. I did horribly and did not finish four of the five sections. There was a terrible game section that I believe was an experimental. There was a game about beer companies and different types of beer that I completely blanked on. Got my first score back, it was barely over 160 and it felt like my whole world was ending when I decided to take a year off to study and better prepare. Now looking back, the year was totally worth it, both in terms of the score increase and my mental health. I was able to focus on my classes and enjoy graduation without stressing about the LSAT.

After graduation, I tried a few different approaches to learning the LSAT. Velocity LSAT, LSATHACK, Powerscore, LSAT trainer, etc. In my humble opinion, and everyone is different, I think my score increase mainly came from perfecting the games section, and that I have to attribute that to 7Sage and Blueprint. I preferred using the Blueprint method when drawing diagrams for games and using 7Sage when it came down to reviewing the games. My diagramming technique ended up being a blend of 7Sage and BP, which I found super helpful.

The Blind Review method was very good for the LR sections, but didn’t really do much for me in RC. There were just always a few questions in reading comprehension that I got wrong regardless of how long I looked at them. I honestly don’t think I ever mastered RC, which is my my final score wasn’t as high as it could have been.

In summary, this is what I think worked for me:

1. LR: 7Sage blind review method, Powerscore Bible (used for references), and LSATHACKS free explanations, and trainer. Trainer was especially helpful for me.
  2. LG: Blueprint games methods and 7Sage explanations.
    NOTE: I would recommend trying to memorize the formal logic component like the back of your hand, but also understand that it is only a small portion of the points, and that grasping the skill of finding the conclusion/supporting claims and being able to figure out the logic gap is the most important part of LR.
  3. RC: Manhattan Prep forum explanations.

It took me about three to four months of full time study after graduation to get to 177-178ish blind review scores. I averaged 170 during the last few PTs (PT80-84) and I barely made it over the mark on the actual test. Although I did hear multiple people say the test I sat was super super hard, I don’t really think it would have affected my score too much, maybe 1 0r 2 point upward fluctuation?

I don’t think my method was actually the best or the most comprehensive, and I honestly don’t know if I can say that I succeeded on the LSAT, but I did end up somehow getting accepted to Harvard (after much struggle and the most awkward interview of my life), so I think that it might be safe to say the LSAT is just one (albeit very important) component of your entire application.

Honestly, this is such a supportive place. Special shoutout to @"Leah M B" for answering so many of our questions. Hope everyone can get into their dream school!

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

OMG! This is so amazing and super inspiring. Congratulations! I'm going to send you a private message as well!

• aussie_zacaussie_zac Alum Member
    90 karma

Well done! Harvard is an amazing achievement and you should be super proud!

• madison_esqmadison_esq Member
    16 karma

Thank you for taking the time to write this out. It means so much!

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

CONGRATS!!!

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

Congratulations!! Would definitely love to hear more about your application cycle once you take a well deserved break :smiley:

• 615 karma

Wow!! That's amazing!! Congratulations!!

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad GPA and major(s)? And did you do any sort of reading or philosophical studying prior to taking the LSAT?

• 2567ZRdt2567ZRdt Alum Member
    82 karma

Wow! An Exemplary. Good luck!

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

Amazing, love seeing these posts. Do your thing up there & congrats!

• errrrr1452errrrr1452 Alum Member
    132 karma

congratulations! great to hear success stories.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations & Thanks for sharing your strategies!! Best of luck to you!!

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

Congratulations!!!

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

@simple_jack I majored in Biochem and had a near-perfect GPA. And no, I didn't really do much reading in the humanities, so I definitely had trouble with them in the reading portion.

• AutumnMoon88AutumnMoon88 Alum Member
    65 karma

SUPER CONGRATS TO YOU!! Thanks for sharing what worked for you. Have fun at Harvard!!

• cccccccccqicccccccccqi Core Member
    47 karma

Congrats! Still struggling around 150...

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

WOW freaking amazing!! I'm so happy for you!! And so honored for your special shout out lol. <3 CONGRATULATIONS!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2GnSClbPOkV0eA/giphy.gif

222 karma

@cccccccccqi > @cccccccccqi said:

Congrats! Still struggling around 150...

Stick with the blind review method and you will improve. The LSAT is a very learnable skill, but it's going to take time for your brain to adjust. Wishing you the best of luck!!!

222 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    WOW freaking amazing!! I'm so happy for you!! And so honored for your special shout out lol. <3 CONGRATULATIONS!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2GnSClbPOkV0eA/giphy.gif

Thank you!!!! I know you'll kick ass at Northwestern!!!!

• goodstrongwordsgoodstrongwords Live Member
    33 karma

First of all, Congratulations!!!
    Just curious, but what made you want to pursue law school after studying with a Biochem major?? Were you initially interested in the health field?

edited December 2019 222 karma

@toppriority Yes, I loved my biochem years. Wouldn't trade them for another major.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Wow, congrats. I can't imagine how that feels. Represent 7sage students well out there! Best of fortunes for your coming years.
    Can you explain what you mean by "formal logic component" of RC?

222 karma

@Bamboosprout Ah, sorry that note was more meant for the LR and LG sections. Should have been more specific. Hope that clears things up!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@UnicornFarts said:
    @Bamboosprout Ah, sorry that note was more meant for the LR and LG sections. Should have been more specific. Hope that clears things up!

Ahhh, so you meant the existential and universal quantifiers?

• FilibusterFilibuster Alum Member
    100 karma

So inspiring! Your username and results.

222 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

@UnicornFarts said:

Ahhh, so you meant the existential and universal quantifiers?

Yup!

222 karma

@Filibuster lol, thanks dude