Advice needed! - Help greatly appreciated!

ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
in General 348 karma

Hi All,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I feel it's important to lay out everything in order to provide accurate context.

Essentially, I've had quite a lengthy LSAT journey so far (although nothing compared to some other brave and determined 7sagers) and I've sort of hit a wall and am hoping to get some of y'all's thoughts.

I started studying for the LSAT while I was in college about two years ago. My first diagnostic score was a 148, which I know is quite low. My target date was last June (June 2018). Since I was studying while being in school, which made my studying schedule not very consistent, I couldn't take it in June, so I had to reschedule to July. That ended up being a bad idea since I started an intense internship in July and ended up having to work and study at the same time. I then rescheduled to September, but once I started school and one of the most intense semesters, I had to yet again reschedule. Essentially, I've rescheduled sitting for the LSAT about 4-5 times. I just graduated from college and my last semester was incredibly academically intense, so I took a break from the LSAT and as soon as I graduated about 3 weeks ago, I started studying again. Currently, I'm PT-ing in the mid 160s. One of my biggest issues is that when I take timed individual sections, I do incredibly well on them! I average -0/-1 on LG, -1/-3 on RC, and -3/-4 on LR. But when I sit down to take a practice test, I do significantly worse. In other words, if I combined the latest 4 sections I took individually, my score would be in the mid-170s, but my practice test scores are mid-160s.

At this point, I'm feeling quite burnt out. Truth be told, I've been feeling burnt out maybe for the past 5-6 years. I went to a top high school, then a top college (top 10), I graduated with not one but TWO majors, a minor, and a certificate, all while taking classes in three additional languages. I founded and ran many organizations while in college, I wrote articles for a national newspaper, did a radio show, did a bunch of prestigious internships in the US and abroad, studied abroad, ran a big organization outside of college, and did a lot of other things. I graduated with a 3.87 GPA (but if you add in the A+s, my CAS GPA is a 3.92). I was even busier in high school (like I was a competitive pianist/violinist, karate champion, etc etc). And to be perfectly frank, I haven't had more than one or two weeks off (during which I've definitely worried about and done at least SOME work).

My plan is to take one or two years off to work before starting law school. I'll most likely be starting my job in late August/early September. But at this point, I'm not sure if I should sit for the July exam. Should I take a break, maybe a whole month off and just not do ANY academic work but instead relax and start studying again in July? Another issue is that I want to do a dual degree (JD and MPP), so I have to also take the GRE at some point (for admission into a government school to do the MPP), which is why I'll probably give myself two years instead of one before doing the dual degree. I just REALLY wanted to get the LSAT out of the way because I'm so done with it. But I also know that if I sit down and actually study thoroughly and intensely (because frankly these past two years, my studying has not been intense enough since I was always simultaneously busy and burnt out lol, just always pushing through the mental fatigue), I can score in the mid 170s on the actual exam. I feel I still have room to improve, and I've already made about a 15-20 point jump (from 148 when I first started to consistently mid-160s).

If anyone has any similar experiences or just generally has some advice, suggestions, recommendations, anything, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I'd love to hear all your thoughts, even if they're harsh or direct or anything. I'm used to making my own decision, but I also really value others' opinions.

Again, sorry for the length of this. Happy to answer any questions if it would help understand my predicament better. Thank you 7sage for being the best community ever!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

My advice is to give the test the amount of attention and effort that you can look back on without regrets. With your GPA and other academic/extra curricular background you have an opportunity at some really great schools. If you are going to wait a couple of years, don’t rush into the test. Keep studying and building up stamina/focus under timed proctored conditions. Keep BRing hard to figure out why you missed questions and regain some confidence.

• itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    272 karma

First of all, your law school application is going to be extremely strong. You have an excellent GPA, a very strong resume, and lots of incredible professional and personal experiences to write about. You should be so proud of yourself!!!

In regard to the LSAT, my professional advice is to chill out bro. It sounds like you've spent the last 5-6 years working harder than the energizer bunny. The burn out you're feeling is a consequence of your hard work these past few years and is completely normal. It is 110% time to take a break-- you've earned it.

Go on vacation. Take a pilgrimage to the Holy City. Binge watch all 10 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. Whatever it is, go and do something that is not academic, career, or work related for a while. You cannot keep going at this pace; without a break, your scores are not going to improve. Come back to reality in a month and then make a decision about whether you want to write in July, September or November, or even if you want to take a year off and do something else (which is what it sounds like you're doing anyway). You have time to think before you decide.

Regarding the joint degree, I'm also considering the same program (JD/MPP) and its going to be a long road. I recommend taking that break ---- 1 week, 2 months, whatever ---- and then trying to decide if you want to do the joint degree or not. Once that decision is made, then you can consider when to write the LSAT and/or the GRE.

The bottom line is you need to chill out and take an extended vacation somewhere. Decisions can wait until you're not courting the edge of burn out and/or a midlife crisis.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

• itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    272 karma

Also, I appreciate the irony of your screen name.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

@drbrown2 @itsemmarobyn Really great advice guys! Thanks a bunch