Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do between now and score release if considering retake

MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
in General 470 karma

So I took the June LSAT yesterday. I think it went alright (fingers crossed)... but I have signed up for July just in case my score comes back and I am not satisfied.

I am curious as to what others would recommend I do in terms of being prepared for July if need be. Scores are not released until Thursday June 27 ( a little over three weeks from now), and the July LSAT is on Monday July 15. I don't have any "fresh" prep materials left, at least none that are remotely recent, so I am unsure of how to best invest my time. Do you think it is wise to relax and decompress between now and June 27 (when I get my score back)? I was thinking of doing pretty much nothing until then since I am not sure if I have to retake, and since I have already done all of the recent PrepTests, I could review my June LSAT (since it is disclosed), and then just spend the first two weeks of July reviewing the materials I have already done and familiarizing myself with the digital format in case I end up being in the 50% of test takers that get the digital version in July.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Similar boat -- following for the advice! As for my plan as it stands, I was thinking about taking this week off, ordering a cheap tablet, and then slowly getting back on the grind.

• 101 karma

I gave myself a week to relax, decompress, and just regain composure. I was pretty confident that I bombed my first LSAT (I was right) so I knew that I needed to regroup and recenter before even thinking about putting in more hours.

I think you need to listen to yourself and your mind. If you think a couple days is enough, then take a couple days. If you need two weeks, take two. If you're not mentally ready to jump back in, those hours spent and remaining LSAT material will be a huge waste.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Same boat. Definitely can't jump right back in...I think I overdid these past few months. I need for it to all sink in...and like you, there's hardly any new, fresh material, so most of my prep will for July will just be figuring out how to feel comfortable on the digital format. Maybe those of us in this boat should keep in touch?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think taking a week sounds just fine... but for me, I would have lost momentum and gotten rusty if I took 3 weeks off. I'd maybe take a week or so to relax, and then go back to a lighter studying schedule. It's ok to re-use tests, just maybe use ones that you haven't taken in quite a while so it seems fresher. It's unlikely you memorized most of the questions. The score may be slightly skewed, but it'd be more about keeping in shape if you're happy with where you are PTing currently.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I think taking a week sounds just fine... but for me, I would have lost momentum and gotten rusty if I took 3 weeks off. I'd maybe take a week or so to relax, and then go back to a lighter studying schedule. It's ok to re-use tests, just maybe use ones that you haven't taken in quite a while so it seems fresher. It's unlikely you memorized most of the questions. The score may be slightly skewed, but it'd be more about keeping in shape if you're happy with where you are PTing currently.

I agree with this. I took 3 weeks off after my first take and it was pretty hard to get back into the groove. (Especially after I got my score back and found out I underperformed.)

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Possibly. Ironically, sometimes you get better when you chill out and just take some time off. Go workout, read whatever you want, have a drink and talk to people, eat good food, have great sex.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

@Nunuboy1994 said:
    Possibly. Ironically, sometimes you get better when you chill out and just take some time off. Go workout, read whatever you want, have a drink and talk to people, eat good food, have great sex.

AMEN. I think I went so hard at the studying that it actually hurt my performance. This is heavy shit we're learning how to do and it needs time to SINK in. Why this lesson is hard to learn, I'm not sure...

• 3 karma

Same boat. For me, I took 3 days off of doing nothing and have been easing in by skimming the prep materials. (For me, the course vids here but my friend is skimming the powerscore bibles). When I took the test, I realized I had room for improvement in LG so I'll be focusing on doing as much games to perfection as I can before the test while still living life. I'm also planning on taking the most recent tests in digital format once every two days until the test.
    Not getting burnt out is really important so don't get too swayed by what we're doing in our cases and follow whatever your body and mind tells you:)
    Either way, good luck! Hope you don't have to take it again and if you do, hope we rock it!

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

Happy to say I will not be retaking the exam :) Thanks to all of you, and best of luck to whichever of you still have the LSAT in your future!