Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Should I Study for the Digital LSAT?

2»

Comments

• yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
    62 karma

Will we not be able to diagram must-be-true/must-be-false questions on the logical reasoning section? Sometimes those are not so easy to do in your head...

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

There's going to be scratch paper for all the sections.

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

Will there be any strategical advantage to taking the test in July and October in terms of the scoring curve? I'm imagining that the median score will be a little lower than usual...

• ALEXAN.SALEXAN.S Alum Member
    108 karma

Has anyone landed on a good method for using the three highlighter colors and underline option to annotate questions?
    I’ve been experimenting with different approaches to designate context/OPA, premises, and conclusions in LR but haven’t found a method that is intuitive and easy to implement across different question types.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

Did LSAC happen to mention the specific stylus tip they're using? The Surface Go pen has multiple and they each seem to have different pros and cons

My goodness. I assumed they were all the same and that I would solve all a handful of my anxieties by finding myself a Surface and a stylus. Like, any old stylus.

Technology sure complicates things!

• thetrinabaileythetrinabailey Core Member
    138 karma

Thank you for this post. I am very frustrated about the change. I feel like LSAC is moving the goal posts. I am a paper and pencil/person all the way. I print important reading documents, etc., to read through, always. This change is very stressful. Sorry to be so negative. Super grateful for 7Sage though.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    @theLSATdreamer I don't believe so, J.Y. seemed to indicate that the stylus does not include the ability to write freehand on the test. However the interface will allow you to highlight certain sections and color code them. So while it might take slightly longer, you could highlight the premise in yellow and the conclusion in pink for example

Why do we have a stylus if it does nothing that our finger can't do? Is it so they can use the word "stylus" on their website?

750 karma

Is there a way to turn off/on the timer counting down in the corner? I think that would freak me out just watching those seconds slip away...

750 karma

@Louislepauvre said:
    Is there a way to turn off/on the timer counting down in the corner? I think that would freak me out just watching those seconds slip away...

I found the answer to this question (from the LSAC Website):

On the top right of the screen, a time remaining bar appears that indicates there was five minutes and 27 seconds remaining in the current test section. You can hide the section timer by tapping it. The numbers indicating the remaining time disappear. When there are five minutes remaining, a warning will display. The timer can no longer be hidden at that point. Superimposed over the test question, in the center of the screen, a pop up appears that reads five minutes remaining. Beneath the words is a button that reads close.

• NefertariNefertari Alum Member
    202 karma

Is the digital LSAT compatible with the Apple Pencil? Can we highlight, underline, select answer choices, etc. with it just as you are able to do with a Surface Go stylus? I've read that the Apple Pencil is only compatible with certain apps (unless when used on iPad Pros) but since the digital LSAT practice exams are on the Web... will all the functions still work?

I hope the above made sense. I'm just trying to avoid making the wrong purchase :')

• Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited May 2019 3074 karma

@Nefertari the last we checked with a 1st gen Apple Pencil (about two weeks ago) on 1st gen iPad Pro it worked without any issues. It looks like the LSAC tester treats the Surface Go stylus the same as a finger. Our tester should also behave that way. E.g. using a pencil is the same as using a finger.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to 7Sage's digital tester, but on rereading, I think you are referring to LSAC's tester on the test day.

If you bought an Apple Pencil to use on test date, I am fairly certain that will NOT work on LSAC's tester at the test center. You can use it on 7Sage's tester for practice. But on test date, even if I am wrong and the Pencil is compatible with the test center Surface Pros, I doubt they will allow you to use your own stylus to take the test.

• NefertariNefertari Alum Member
    202 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" said:
    @Nefertari the last we checked with a 1st gen Apple Pencil (about two weeks ago) on 1st gen iPad Pro it worked without any issues. It looks like the LSAC tester treats the Surface Go stylus the same as a finger. Our tester should also behave that way. E.g. using a pencil is the same as using a finger.

This is exactly what I wanted to know -- whether the Apple Pencil would work on the 7Sage & LSAC's digital tester. Sorry for causing any confusion! Thank you!! :smile:

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    404 karma

@yurple591 said:
    Will we not be able to diagram must-be-true/must-be-false questions on the logical reasoning section? Sometimes those are not so easy to do in your head...

You'll be given blank sheets of paper you can take notes on with a pen. You won't be able to take notes on the actual tablet though.

• Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
    124 karma

@a1ex_682 said:
    Will there be any strategical advantage to taking the test in July and October in terms of the scoring curve? I'm imagining that the median score will be a little lower than usual...

Will you explain this? I don't fully understand the curve. And so you do think the test will be to our adv?

• LSATLSAT-3LSATLSAT-3 Core Member
    edited August 2019 418 karma

I was told on two separate occasions by two separate LSAC representatives that we will be given a booklet with 8 pages (no lines, watermarked, 8.5" x 11").

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

How do we write low resolution summaries next to rc passages?

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Is there a consensus on tablet options for those studying for the digital? I think some have mentioned the Kindle Fire as a good budget option, but anyone know of other options / have used the 7Sage Digital and could chime in?

Thanks!

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    edited June 2019 112 karma

Just some really quick feedback for those who are a little nervous about studying for the digital version. I HATE, absolutely HATE the idea of the test being digital. I've always been a big pen/pencil and paper fan. After taking my first practice test using the software, I felt like I had either the same or more time on my side than usual.

One weird benefit of studying using the digital software is that it's really forcing me to absorb what I am reading, especially on Reading Comprehension. It is a little annoying to have to scroll through the passage to find desired text, but overall, I think practicing this way might even yield some benefits to you over time. The better you are at holding the information in your head, the easier I think the questions will go. I wrote Low Res summaries on scratch paper as well -- a number for the corresponding paragraph and a small 3-4 word comment/abbreviation for it.

My Logical Reasoning speed was like lightning. I zipped through that much much faster than usual.

As for Logic Games, this is where I think the transition to digital lacks a bit. I really don't think there can ever be a successful substitute for writing next to the questions and knowing exactly where all your mini game boards are. My advice is be super detailed with your scratch paper -- clearly write down the number of the question you are working on.

It is definitely going to be a change, but as a HARDCORE skeptic and technologically inept individual, I think that if I can get through it and actually (kind of) like the experience that anyone can.

As for the machine I'm using, I'm testing with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 laptop. Hope this helps anyone feeling a little anxious about the switch!

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

@"Super Saiyan" said:
    Just some really quick feedback for those who are a little nervous about studying for the digital version. I HATE, absolutely HATE the idea of the test being digital. I've always been a big pen/pencil and paper fan. After taking my first practice test using the software, I felt like I had either the same or more time on my side than usual.

One weird benefit of studying using the digital software is that it's really forcing me to absorb what I am reading, especially on Reading Comprehension. It is a little annoying to have to scroll through the passage to find desired text, but overall, I think practicing this way might even yield some benefits to you over time. The better you are at holding the information in your head, the easier I think the questions will go. I wrote Low Res summaries on scratch paper as well -- a number for the corresponding paragraph and a small 3-4 word comment/abbreviation for it.

My Logical Reasoning speed was like lightning. I zipped through that much much faster than usual.

As for Logic Games, this is where I think the transition to digital lacks a bit. I really don't think there can ever be a successful substitute for writing next to the questions and knowing exactly where all your mini game boards are. My advice is be super detailed with your scratch paper -- clearly write down the number of the question you are working on.

It is definitely going to be a change, but as a HARDCORE skeptic and technologically inept individual, I think that if I can get through it and actually (kind of) like the experience that anyone can.

As for the machine I'm using, I'm testing with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 laptop. Hope this helps anyone feeling a little anxious about the switch!

Can you talk more about the scrolling of the RC passage part a little more? I was playing around with the digital LSAT PT on LSAC's website on my laptop, but don't have access to a tablet right now.

It seems like you use your stylus to tap the various buttons for Underline text and the different highlighter colors. Say you have one of the highlighter buttons selected. If you want to scroll down on the passage, do you have to uncheck the highlighter button, and then scroll down by dragging the stylus?

I was able to scroll up and down the passage without unchecking the highlighter button, but to scroll down by clicking my mouse button and dragging it up/down, I had to uncheck the highlighter button first.

The change for RC is my main concern. It's my weakest section, and having to completely revamp my passage notation strategy is annoying. I benefit from writing short phrases right next to the text. I've been practicing RC passages the last few days and have been trying to make a lot less notations. I noticed this has been saving time, and now that I think about it, there's a good chance I was losing time from over-notating. I definitely agree with you about how the new format will force you to practice by retaining more info in your head which will benefit you in the long run.

The other strategy I was potentially considering was writing P1, P2, P3, etc. on my scratch paper and writing notes next to each.

For Logical reasoning, I don't really see any downsides. If anything, the digital LSAT seems to make this section easier. For Logic Games, I'm not too worried because I'm typically pretty neat when making new game boards for each question, and most of the time I don't write the game boards right next to the question anyways. If I'm making a gameboard for question 2, I put a 2 with a circle around it. If I'm making a hypothetical to test answer choice c of question 2, I'll put 2C in a circle next to the gameboard.

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    112 karma

Hey @sakox010 , so for me, just not being able to see the whole passage while on a question and the ease of looking back and forth between question and passage that the traditional format offered are what’s bothering me. You only get to see about 1.5 or 2 paragraphs of the passage in the slot while you’re working on the one individual question. While scrolling, there can be some accidental highlights, I’ve found too. I do think the different colored highlights are fantastic for distinguishing things like conflicting opinions or Author POV though.

I haven’t yet tried unchecking the highlights like you said in order to scroll without potential accidents. I’ll give that a shot too though! My problem is I don’t want to risk getting slowed down with all this clicking and unclicking and losing whatever extra time not annotating has been gaining me lol. I’ll keep you posted though!

Yes, what you’re referring to about the Paragraphs (P1,2,3) is what I was basically alluding to. I just made a list with the numbers and no Ps. If they work for you, then that’s awesome, bro.

Big reminder for the July takers though, definitely keep practicing with pencil and paper too! Never know if it’ll sneak up on you. So annoying! Lol.

• Tori SheberTori Sheber Member
    77 karma

People seem to care a lot about this pen business, so just to clarify...the LSAC website explicitly states "Digital LSAT test takers will also be permitted to use their own pencil and eraser for making notes." If you're worried about not having a pencil, you can still bring one. I'm not sure why you would even need a pen for this test. I'd just set it aside and ignore it during the test but that's just for me. Obviously, the concern about having to take notes separately is still a bummer.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I've been taking digital PTs via 7sage and I was wondering if there is a way for me to see the passage only on RC section and not the questions?

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Also another issue I am having is when i take the digital test on my microsoft go surface, some tests have the questions cut off on the bottom of the screen. So I full screen it and there is no way for me to go to the next question. Please help

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    edited June 2019 976 karma

Just saw scratch paper is provided for all sections.

• LexafrexLexafrex Alum Member
    8 karma

is the rubber ball at the end of the stylus on the bigger side or smaller side? I'm looking at amazon and have seen them with different sizes, trying to find one that will be the most representative of the one for the digital LSAT. It is a stylus with a pen at the other end correct? Thanks!!

also, is the scratch paper they give you 8.5 x 11 standard??

• stargirlstargirl Alum Member
    74 karma

@Lexafrex Yes it's a pen with a stylus at the end - it's on the smaller side

Yes the scratch paper is 8.5x11

• GalateaGalatea Core Member
    92 karma

The link at the top of the page no longer works.