Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for from mid160 to 170+?? #help

TiaK0419TiaK0419 Alum Member
edited June 2019 in General 61 karma

I am stably getting bet 165-167.
I started prep exactly a month ago, kicking off from 159.
However, never got 170+ in timed set yet.
Are there any tips on getting to 170+ from mid 160??
Think I can literally do anything for that. So desperate.

Also, for those who get 170+, how long did it take for you to get that score from the first prep and from mid160 respectively??
Thank you in advance:)

Comments

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Well I’m not quite a 170 sage- I scored a 169/170 on an untimed PT which is my highest PT record- but a close friend of mine is. She spent 2 years studying for the LSAT and eventually scored a 179. Some advice I remember her giving me is that it’s really important that you quickly understand the conclusion in each LR question that has one; sometimes the correct answer is not very apparent so you have to use process of elimination to eliminate other answers; there’s an element of luck in scoring that high. The latter I think is a good point- you may be PT’ing o
    165-167 right now but score a 170+ on the actual LSAT if you just get a good test with lots of questions you can work with.

346 karma

Also, I would go back and document the questions you’re missing. Try to see if there are any patterns like you’re missing a lot of LR weaken questions or running out of time on ordering games. Without any insight into where you’re missing points- it’s kind of hard to give substantive feedback. Give us some examples of questions you missed.

• TiaK0419TiaK0419 Alum Member
    edited June 2019 61 karma

@Nunuboy1994 said:
    Also, I would go back and document the questions you’re missing. Try to see if there are any patterns like you’re missing a lot of LR weaken questions or running out of time on ordering games. Without any insight into where you’re missing points- it’s kind of hard to give substantive feedback. Give us some examples of questions you missed.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I get 0-1 on LG, 6-9 on 2 LR and 3-9 on RC.
    I rarely run out of time on LG and can go around 2 check with it but with LR, always short of around 1-3min and around 1-5min on RC. So I usually end up skimming thru 1 passage on RC. When I do good time management on RC, it is -3 but when I can just skim thru an entire passage, usually end up getting -9. At those times, since I feel time pressure, I cannot really focus on the second last passage as well, so get more wrongs than I usually get.

With BR usual range is 171-178. LG 0, LR 3/6, RC 0/4.

edited June 2019 346 karma

Well I would said that if you’re performing well on LG that is very good. I would hazard a prediction that a lot of people who score lower on the actual LSAT than on their pt’s/BR’s are losing points on logic games. For example, using diagrams in your blind reviews that are not succinct does not help you on test. Anyways, if you’re consistently getting 0 or 1 wrong on the first logical reasoning section and then 6 or 9 wrong on the next then you could just have endurance issues. That or you’re also perhaps taking too long on easy questions or reading over answer choices that you should eliminate faster. Maybe you’ve got to economize on time? Also, you don’t necessarily have to hit 170 in your PT’s to score a 170. Realistically, your odds of scoring 170+ are much greater if you’ve achieved that on that practice tests but you shouldn’t spend forever doing LSAT prep. A 167+ is going to give you a shot at most T14 law schools with the exception of Yale boiling down to luck in the pick of the draw. And you have to remember most people don’t even break 160.