Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you already took a LSAT (with the written writing sample), is computer writing sample required?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
in General 1755 karma

hey all

this is probably a pretty easy question, but i've had some trouble finding an answer and i just wanna confirm.

if you already took an LSAT with the old handwritten writing sample, if you retook the 2019 June LSAT (and other future LSATs going forward), do you have to do the computer new writing sample? or can you just ignore it because you already have a handwritten writing sample from the a previous LSAT?

also, can someone show where on LSAC's website or in general this information is provided? thank you!

Comments

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

You don't need to take it again. When I log into my LSAC account I get the following message in a yellow banner on my home page:

Notice starting with June 2019 LSAT: The writing section will be separate from the LSAT starting with the June 3, 2019 test. This change will result in greater convenience and flexibility for test takers as the testing date will be shorter, the essay will be typed rather than handwritten, and it can be completed at a time and place of the test takers' choosing. By registering for the June LSAT, candidates will be automatically eligible to complete the writing section as of the date of the LSAT and up to one year thereafter. Candidates are only required to have one essay on file to complete their Law School Reports. Essays completed during previous LSAT administrations will still be valid for use in Law School Reports. If candidates have already taken the LSAT, they have the option of taking the writing section again for a fee of $15; however, taking the writing section again is not required. If candidates register for the June or July tests, the cost of the writing section is included in the total cost of the test which is $190. In other words, there is no additional cost to candidates.

Also the FAQ page on the writing portion answers your question with "[n]o. Candidates are only required to have one writing sample on file in order to complete a Law School Report. Writing samples may be from either a previous LSAT administration or from an administration of LSAT Writing" (See https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/lsat-writing-faqs).

Hope that helps!

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

@xenonhexafluoro thank you!

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

But if we didn't love our first essay and we just took in June, we have a year to submit a new essay using our own computers, right?

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

@2ndTimestheCharm said:
    But if we didn't love our first essay and we just took in June, we have a year to submit a new essay using our own computers, right?

Think so!