Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferring digital?

ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
edited June 2019 in General 737 karma

Does anyone else now prefer the digital test? I took PT 37 last weekend, and it was the first PT I'd done in a while. Not just that but my first with the digital. It just felt so much less stressful not having to think about bubbling things in, not worriedly double-checking bubbles, etc. Maybe it's also from being an internet addict. I matched my highest PT score. Having the countdown timer is also kind of nice. The only section where I can see needing a watch is LR maybe since it's good to shoot for 10 in 10, 15 in 15, etc. But even that is something you ideally get down instinctually. I'm taking July and praying for the digital version. I feel like my goal score is going to be more attainable with the digital test - hopefully this won't result in adjustments once the data is in on the new version.

I should add the biggest adjustment was getting used to doing LG digitally. I don't see any way to filter out "signal" from noise without using the highlighter function. I will be doing that myself moving forward, as I previously would circle important details.

Comments

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

Do you use a pen or pencil for the LG section?

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

Also do you have a tablet or are you just using your laptop?

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited June 2019 737 karma

I'm using a laptop. Is it harder on a tablet? And I used pencil for PT 37, but I suppose I should be using a pen?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I think I prefer digital as well. LG is still a little more difficult but I'm getting the hang of it. RC and LR are wonderful digitally. I love highlighting conclusions and support.
    I only have three fresh tests left so II also started with some 30s PTs and I also matched my highest score (including retakes).

• 310 karma

I definitely prefer digital. I can score my PT's in seconds, can keep all of my BR work digital, and take my PT's in a small space on a tablet. I prefer LG's on scratch paper with a pen as well, instead of having to print out fresh copies anytime I need to fool proof something. The whole change has just made studying so much more convenient.

2186 karma

@standardizedcanbelearned said:
    I definitely prefer digital. I can score my PT's in seconds, can keep all of my BR work digital, and take my PT's in a small space on a tablet. I prefer LG's on scratch paper with a pen as well, instead of having to print out fresh copies anytime I need to fool proof something. The whole change has just made studying so much more convenient.

The whole thing is making me anxious about possibly getting stuck with a paper test again in July. I wasn't considering retaking after July but if I don't get the digital test I just might

• chadwickangchadwickang Alum Member
    edited June 2019 29 karma

I definitely agree. My first digital PT didn't go well because I couldn't focus like I could on paper. But then I started solving questions or even full sections on the tablet. When I got used to it, I started scoring like 5-8 points higher, which is kind of crazy. I'm taking the July exam, so I've been alternating each practice test between paper and digital.

This brings me to my question and concern: If I don't get a satisfying score because I got the paper form in July, would I be able to register for the September test? I though they would let us scratch out the score and take a free test, but they won't release the score until August 28th, and the deadline for the September 21st test is like in the beginning of August. Any info on this?

help

• edited June 2019 310 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" I don't blame you at all! I am not planning to take the test until November at the earliest and next summer at the latest, so I don't have to worry about that. But, if that was a worry of mine, I would definitely wait. The digital is sooo much easier to deal with and to fly through IMO.

2186 karma

This brings me to my question and concern: If I don't get a satisfying score because I got the paper form in July, would I be able to register for the September test? I though they would let us scratch out the score and take a free test, but they won't release the score until August 28th, and the deadline for the September 21st test is like in the beginning of August. Any info on this?

help

I don't think September will be offered for free if you cancel. Would be nice.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited June 2019 737 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@standardizedcanbelearned said:

The whole thing is making me anxious about possibly getting stuck with a paper test again in July. I wasn't considering retaking after July but if I don't get the digital test I just might

I wonder if this may be something that puts us in at least something of a minority. Perhaps people read a lot of paper books, or who haven't spent much time reading online, etc., enjoy the paper version more. To be honest, personally, I get sort of exhausted just looking at a physical Actual LSATs book; it seems the format itself - with the bubble sheet, pages of the rest of the test underneath what you're currently doing inducing thoughts of what's to come instead of allowing you to fully focus on what you're presently doing, and so on - induces a bit of dread, but this could very well vary by the individual. It would suck if they ended up adjusting the difficulty to account for what people like us are experiencing. I definitely share your worries about July! But, given the benefits of the July exam, perhaps it's still worth the gamble. Of course, people like us can just do a few paper exams to account for that possibility and try to do our best with that format.