Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

test

dyingforpie123dyingforpie123 Free Trial Member
edited November 2020 in Logical Reasoning 147 karma

test

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

It certainly felt that way when I was studying... At least from the 70s and up.

• dyingforpie123dyingforpie123 Free Trial Member
    147 karma

@Alex Any advice? Thanks

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@bsonnenb said:
    @Alex Any advice? Thanks

Focus on the fundamentals. The questions aren't harder, just different and more nuanced. It helps if you learn how to stop paying attention to the fluff. Just focus on conclusions and support. They throw a lot of extra crap into the newer question which can make them more confusing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2019 23929 karma

@bsonnenb said:
    @Alex Any advice? Thanks

There’s no specific advice on the new LR imo. You just have to do enough so that you get used to them. It’s not like you’re going to be doing them any differently.

I disagree that they’re just different — I think they’re harder across the board. Just compare the first 10 questions from a 40s test vs. the first few from a 70s or 80s test. Right away you can see the difficulty differential. A simpler test is just comparing the MP questions from the new vs. old tests. Haha! It’s not all in your head.

Part of getting over the newer stuff is examining and exploring exactly what is making them harder for you. That might be more of subjective thing. I remember always feeling like the newer questions redlined my brain more; like there were more steps to get to TCR. Basically, the newer tests are harder because they force you to really understand your sh*t. There’s a ton of misdirection that you don’t see on the older tests, and that lack of misdirection makes it so you can kind of intuit your way to some of the answers without really fully understanding the argument on the older tests.

So like @"Pride Only Hurts" said above me, focus on the fundamentals. That’s usually the answer, even if it’s not what we want to hear.

You will work on them enough so you get to a point where they’re just the new normal. Even so, when I did finally get to that point they never felt as easy at the 40s and 50s did. So just be mindful of that and don’t let it kill your confidence.

TL;DR Just get exposure to the newer tests, focus on fundamentals. At the end of the day, they’re testing the same skills.

Best of luck!

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

I definitely got slower on the LR sections past the 70s when I was doing test prep. I personally feel that they make the answers more vague, and sometimes I can get down to 2 contenders but will often choose the wrong one...