Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital LSAT Tester Live (Public Beta)

Comments

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    112 karma

@abolitionist @"Alan Cheuk" Yes, agreed, it's tricky, kind of makes you have to BR twice, if you are trying to force an accurate BR score (which still won't be accurate due to unaccounted questions you got wrong).

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14008 karma

@"Super Saiyan" @abolitionist

There's not much different for BR on the digital tester. You're still supposed to do it before seeing the correct answers, so before you click "score preptest." And you're still supposed to BR only the subset of questions you circled / flagged. The ones you didn't circle / flag, you're 100% confident on, so should let alone to see if you got them right or if you committed an over-confidence error.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?

• firefistcaesfirefistcaes Alum Member
    77 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" Hi there Alan, thanks for your feedback. I have this problem both during actual practice tests and Blind Review. I can highlight the question stimulus of both LR and LG, and also RC passages, but it becomes a no go for the question stems and answer choices for all portions of the test, LG, RC, and LR. At best, I am able to select one word at a time of the stem or the AC (by select, I mean pressing down on an actual word to begin the highlighting process e.g. picture trying to copy a word(s) from your phone, or selecting a few words in MS Word for copy/paste). When I do so, only that word becomes covered in blue and I am then unable to continue covering the rest of the words in the stem or AC to highlight them, it covers one word only, and even then, it doesn't highlight the word.

I am using an ASUS ZenPad Tablet, and PT'ing/BR'ing on Google Chrome. I am not clear on what you mean by annotation tool, but I'm using the stylus that came for the tablet.

Thanks for all your help so far, they are ensuring that we can be best prepared for this new style of the LSAT!

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

@"Alan Cheuk"

I had similar experiences as previous users. For RC on the 7sage digital app, if you have the highlight option on, it makes it very difficult to scroll up/down the RC passage without inadvertently highlighting large chunks of the passage.

As you try to scroll down, you end up unintentionally highlighting parts of the passage. On the other hand, I tried the LSAC digital test, and this problem does not seem to happen. When you scroll up/down with your finger with the highlighter on, nothing is highlighted. It is only when you scroll from left to right with your finger that something gets highlighted. So scrolling up and down the passage in RC with the highlighter option is fine (nothing gets accidentally highlighted).

Also wanted to follow up on my previous comment that there is no "Passage Only" part for RC in the 7sage digital test.

Thanks for everything you do!

1755 karma

for those who like JY read with their pencil, how do you read with your pencil on the tablet? Do you just try to avoid having your hand/palm touch the tablet when you read? so you rest your hand on the table (not on the tablet ) as you read with your stylus?

Also, it'll be very helpful if JY could do a "live commentary" of himself taking a PT on a tablet.

• Grace...Grace... Alum Member
    339 karma

I am using iPad (6th Generation) and I have trouble with highlighting. When trying to highlight using Apple Pencil, it grabs the entire passage and drags the entire passage to the direction the pencil is moving and does not highlight, when it does, it highlights large chunk of the passage.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Hi all! One quick question--from the LSAC familiarization tool, it looks like the "alternative" view from LSAT's Digital Tester is what the tablet on test day is going to look like (as opposed to the Default version). Am I correct? Do you think we will have to scroll through the answer choices like in the Default version?

• t.fabio98t.fabio98 Alum Member
    18 karma

Will there be an option to take digital tests under accomodated time constraints soon?

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

@username_hello
    The way I read with pencil is to flip the Apple Pencil using the cap part follow along the passage with the edge of my palm touching the tablet screen. There are no issues with the palm/screen touching except I just kinda need to constantly flip the pencil back and forth. It was a ‘little bit’ annoying at first but you get used to it as you do it over and over and over so now it has kinda become a subconscious habitual thing for me to ‘spin the pencil’ either taking a PT or in BR.

If you wanna try it out just be mindful that the Apple Pencil (1st gen) is significantly longer than the Surface Go stylus so it’s relatively easier to flip and spin if you feel. But if you are a tactile reader like me, it’s the best alternative thus far imo.

2426 karma

@t.fabio98
    It's already there. If you click on the clock symbol on the anotation tool bar (third from the left) you can adjust the time from there.

• Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited June 2019 3075 karma

Custom Problem Sets
    @Bluffer0123
    Just letting you know we have been and still are actively working on this. A lot of progress has been made on this, but it's still not ready for prime time.

RC Passage Line Numbers
    @lsatplaylist @Isaiah4110
    Until we can come up with a long term solution for this, we put in a band-aid fix: There is a "Fixed Layout" option at the top of passages. This changes the layout between fixed lines and a regular fluid layout (like LR and LG). The default now is fluid. If you need to find a particular line number, you may want to switch back to fluid.

The line numbers are still visible as grey superscript, but don't correspond to the lines on the screen. For instance, the "15" superscript might actually be on the 13th line on the screen.

Also, there is a new Extra Small font option, which might help you fit the full passage width on your device on fixed layout mode.

Passage Only
    @username_hello
    This turned out to be far more complicated than it looks, especially when considering highlighting. So it will take quite some time for us to get around to this feature, sorry!

Highlighting Small Sections Results In Large Highlights
    @"Adam Z. Xie"
    I think you may be dragging from the passage to the right side of the screen, where the question stem and responses are, then letting go. When this happens, the system assumes you want to highlight everything from the start point up to the stem/responses, which includes the remainder of the passage. Do you think that might be it, or is it happening under different circumstances?

Highlighting while scrolling
    @Isaiah4110 @username_hello
    We have a solution out for this that should help a lot! If you initially drag left/right, the system assumes you are highlighting, and if you initially drag up/down the system assumes you are scrolling. Please try it out and let us know if it helps.

Highlighting Question Stems and Responses on Android
    @firefistcaes
    We reproduced this issue on our side on Android. It's taking some time to figure out, sorry! In the meantime do you have a non-Android device that you can use? The problem seems to only affect Android right now.

• Linda1205Linda1205 Member
    215 karma

Hello! So I have a few questions:
    1. This will not work on the 7sage app, right? I could only practice on the 7sage website?
    2. I opened the browser on my Ipad, and when I click "take preptest (digital tester beta)", it shows nothing. (When I opened it on my MacBook, it shows the test). So that means the beta does not work on Ipad?

Thank you so much for your help!

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

I finally sat down to do a full digital test and the highlighter/underlining is not working. I'm using an Apple laptop... #help

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

It does work pretty well on my iPad, though, thank goodness!

Does Digital Tester Work On 7Sage App
    @Linda1205
    Yes, it should also work on the app. If you are running into difficulties using the tester with the app, please let us know!

Digital Tester Not Loading On iPad
    @Linda1205
    Oh no, thanks for letting us know! Could you please let me know what iPad, iOS version (Settings > General > Software Version), and browser? It's working on our side on an iPad Pro 12.9" 1st gen iOS 12.3.

Highlighting Not Working on Macbook
    @2ndTimestheCharm
    Thank you for telling us this! Accidentally introduced a bug in the last update, sorry! Fix is live, please force refresh (link at very bottom of each page) and highlight should work again on laptops.

• Guy MontagGuy Montag Alum Member
    13 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" Kind of minor but in the BR I just did the number next to the question stem was static as I was going through all the questions. It said 22 up top even though I was clearly on question 25 or 6 or whatever it was. Just caught me off guard..I'm on a Macbook pro on Chrome.

2426 karma

@Linda1205 try refresh the page it should fix it. It has happened to my Ipad pro fairly frequently as well but it has always fixed it once I refresh the page. If not, it might be a more serious issue I haven't personally encountered.

3075 karma

@firefistcaes
    Fix is live! Please force refresh and let me know if it's working now or if there is still a problem.

edited June 2019 339 karma

I am using iPad (6th Generation, 9.7 inch) and I am having a trouble with highlighting. When I try to scroll up and down the RC passage, it highlights a big chunk of the text. Do you guys have the same problem? Is there any way to fix this? Or is there something wrong with my iPad? (I am using OS 12.3.1)

• jemima.08jemima.08 Member
    38 karma

Thanks for developing a Digital Tester in time for the July test. I took PT 79 using an iPad (Pro 9.7 inch running iOS 12.3.1) and an Apple Pencil. Overall, it was a good experience. The only issue I had was that sometimes the screen would freeze. I won't be able to scroll or select an answer choice. It doesn't freeze for too long, maybe just a couple seconds, but it happened often enough that I took notice.

• firefistcaesfirefistcaes Alum Member
    77 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" said:
    @firefistcaes
    Fix is live! Please force refresh and let me know if it's working now or if there is still a problem.

Woohoo!! Nice goings, thanks mate! It's working now!

339 karma

@"jemima.08" Hi Jemima. Did you have any problem with highlighting at all using iPad? On my iPad, when I scroll down the passage, it highlights the whole line where apple pencil touches. I'm wondering if there is any trick to get over that problem. Thanks.

3075 karma

Highlighting while scrolling
    @Isaiah4110 @username_hello @"Grace..."
    Sorry for all the highlighting issues! Please try highlighting again, it should be much more resistant highlighting on scroll now. If you start your drag moving left/right, it should consistently highlight (even if you move up/down later). If you start your drag moving up/down, it should consistently scroll with no highlight.

Screen freezing on iPad
    @jemima.08
    Thank you for letting us know! Did you notice it consistently freezing in any particular question or section? Do you see anything odd on the screen, or is it simply frozen? We really want to get this figured out for you and others, but we haven't been able to reproduce this yet on a simulated iPad Pro 9.7 doing PT79.

Frozen question number
    @ykhaitov @"Heart Shaped Box"
    Thanks for the heads up! Do you remember if it was only on BR, and if there was any other weirdness that came along with this, or if it was only the question number getting stuck?

• Guy MontagGuy Montag Alum Member
    13 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" It was only BR, no other weirdness. Pretty sure it was only 22 (PT 40 section 1)

339 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" Thank you for fixing it! It is much better.

If I may suggest few improvements...his could be a minor issue, but if you get to it, it would be helpful: when scrolling up and down, now although it does not leave the highlights, it temporarily highlights the whole line and it could be distracting when taking the timed PT.

Also, at the beginning of the PT, it would be great to have little bit of time to adjust font size, view format, spacing, etc.. before the clock starts to tick.

Thank you so much for developing this. It is really helpful!!

RC line is selected while scrolling
    @"Grace..."
    Thanks for letting us know, we pushed a fix that should solve this. Please force refresh and let me know if it helps.

Adjusting options before starting PT
    @"Grace..."
    You can change your options from the home screen, where you see the four sections with buttons to continue/blind review, etc, you can change your options. The timer doesn't start running until you click into a section. The downside from changing the options there is that you won't be able to see the effect of changes in font size and line height until you start the section. But if you already know what you would like, you can set it before you start the test, or between sections.

339 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" Thank you so much for fixing it promptly. It works great now!!

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" said:
    @Mike_Ross You can't take individual sections untimed right now, sorry. After taking a PT you can BR it with unlimited time. You don't need wifi to use the digital tester. Any Internet connection should work.

Hi Alan, thanks for your help. I realized I didn’t phrase the question correctly. I meant to ask: do you need an internet connection to actually run a PT? Could I just take it any time anywhere regardless of internet access? (Random cafe perhaps) Just looking ahead to the possibility of say, WiFi connection cuts out halfway through a live PT. What happens then? Does the system freeze/etc

• Isaiah4110Isaiah4110 Alum Member
    275 karma

Hi @"Alan Cheuk" thank you for the fixes! I no longer experience issues with highlighting chunks of the section when scrolling. But now it seems that the highlighting is not sensitive enough. I have to click the highlight function multiple times to get it to start. This only happens when I first start to highlight. The problem disappears for later highlights. Also, am I suppose to see a light blue band/highlight that appears over the section that I want to highlight just before the actual highlight takes place? I’m not sure if that’s a problem on my end since I’m using an Apple pencil-like stylus for my iPad Pro. But I didn’t experience the same problem on the LSAC website.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I try to do separate sections for practice. Is there no way to grade one section at a time using the digital tester?

3106 karma

Hey Guys,

Just starting my digital LSAT journey today, officially, that is..

I've been trying to Foolproof games. Trouble is, I can't jump straight to the LG section on my LG set of the day. For example, if it's section 4, well, I can't jump to 4. I have to go to 1,2,3, then 4.

I'm running into the same issues with all other sections I happen to only want to work on

Is there a way around this to just work on sections?

3106 karma

Also, #help

When I try to take a digital version of PTs that I have completed by paper before, I am unable to do so. Do I have to delete the data from the previous take to be able to access the digital version? is there a way to do the digital version in a format that allows me something similar to "score without saving" ?

3106 karma

Hi Alan,

(sorry for the string of messages)

I just want to confirm that this issue below is also happening to the digital sections I am practicing with as well, but ONLY for RC. This was the case for PT 28, 32:

Bottom Bar Hidden on Fullscreen

I also tried with Microsoft Surface Go, and accessed through Edge. Couldn't find bottom bar from full screen mode. But could see it when I clicked off full-screen mode.

Highlighted question numbers that carry over

Moreover, I seem to be having issues with highlighting as well. I find that for some reason, some question numbers get highlighted and 'merge' with later questions. For example, as some users have pointed out above, sometimes I accidentally highlight the whole text when I only meant to highlight one word. This causes everything on the page including the question number to be highlighted. So, question 14. itself could bee highlighted. When I go on to question 15., I see: "15.4" and ".4" is highlighted as well.

• jemima.08jemima.08 Member
    38 karma

@"Alan Cheuk"

Hi Alan,
    Just wanted to respond to your question regarding the screen freezing. It was in the last two sections of the PT and no there wasn't really anything odd with the screen. The screen would freeze for a quick second or two. It might be just my iPad and Pencil (both were definitely charged to the best of my knowledge) but I will try again with another PT and keep you updated.

• Has this digital lsat tester been incorporated for all prep tests since I saw it was incorporated for the June 2007 diagnostic, thanks

What if no Internet, or Internet cuts out?
    @Mike_Ross
    If there is no Internet, then you can't use the digital tester, sorry! The digital tester requires an Internet connection to work.

If your computer crashes, or you close the window/tab, or go to another page, then the tester should handle it gracefully. Your progress should be saved to within 0.1m, along with response choices, flags, highlights, eliminations, and settings. IIRC the only things that aren't saved are which responses are collapsed (using the little "^" that appears to the right of responses when they don't all fit on the screen).

We hadn't considered the case where your Internet connection cuts out before now, so thank you for asking! Before, when you lose Internet connection, the tester would silently continue, even though data wasn't being saved to the server. If you reconnected, the data would be saved at that time, so long as the section timer hadn't run out. If you didn't reconnect before the timer runs out or you close the window/tab, then your data from after the disconnect would not be saved

Now when you lose Internet connection, you get a warning at the top of the tester telling you that you are disconnected and that your data will not be saved until you reconnect. You also get the option to close the tester immediately. If you don't reconnect to the Internet, or close the tester within 30 seconds, the tester will automatically be closed.

We tried to strike a balance between preventing students who don't notice the warning message from doing un-saved work, and giving students with intermittent Internet connections time to reconnect before shutting down the tester.

Highlight not sensitive enough on iOS
    @Isaiah4110
    It seems to be working on our side. Have you tried starting highlights with a horizontal swipe? If you start off your highlight by dragging your pencil/finger to the left or right, then the tester knows you are trying to highlight, and then you can drag up/down to select multiple lines. I hope this helps! I know that this may not come naturally, but it's difficult for the tester to figure out if someone wants to scroll vs highlight.

No blue selection of text before highlight on iOS
    @Isaiah4110
    On our side right now the blue selection consistently appears when doing a highlight. That said, we have definitely seen no blue selection on iOS in the past. It may be the case that this issue is intermittent, or that we fixed it as a side effect of another change. Please try again with the horizontal swipe to start highlighting and let us know how it goes.

One section at a time
    @btownsquee
    Sorry, that's not possible right now. This will become possible with custom problem sets in the future. Work on problem sets is in progress.

Bottom bar hidden on fullscreen on MS Edge
    @Mike_Ross
    Thank you for letting us know! We just fixed this in the latest version. Please force refresh and try it out.

Highlighted whole text instead of one word
    @Mike_Ross
    Thanks again! We created this on our side and found a solution. Please force refresh and try it out.

Highlighted question numbers that carry over
    @Mike_Ross
    Thanks for the heads up, that problem seems to affect all browsers whenever the question number is highlighted. The tester now doesn't allow highlighting of question numbers - it shouldn't have allowed it before, this was a mistake. This prevents the problem on our side. Please try a force refresh and let us know if it helps.

Frozen question number
    @ykhaitov @"Heart Shaped Box"
    Thank you for sending the screencast by email, that was a big help! We couldn't get the problem to reproduce, but it looks very similar to the above issue (Highlighted question numbers that carry over). I suspect that it was related, and the fix for the highlighted question numbers is likely to have fixed this. Please let me know if you see it again.

Is digital tester available for all PTs?
    @yadegarjoshua
    Yes, it's available for use with every PT that your account has access to (for U+, that's 90+ PTs)

Screen freezes for a few seconds on iPad
    @"jemima.08"
    Thank you for the additional information!

1755 karma

This might be minor, but on the bottom bar (which for ex. For RC is labeled 1-27, and the circles become dark when you complete a question), can you make it that all 1-27 circles are shown? Right now, I think like question 26 and 27’s are kinda hidden and u have to scroll to find them. A couple times I thought I finished the section but really I didn’t complete 26 and 27.

I think on the LSAC digital test, all 1-27 circles are shown at the bottom, and u don’t have to scroll anything. Thanks .

Questions don't all fit in bottom bar
    @username_hello
    Thanks for the suggestion, I think that'll be a lot better! The bottom bar is slightly condensed now, so that up to 28 questions (the largest section size - only about 3% of sections are this long) will show up on the "Alternative" style. For the "Default" style, the number of questions may or may not totally fit because it's based on the size of your device/window.

• Looks good so far! Wondering when we would get the practice digitalized. Oh and final version of the Tester. July is so close Cries You guys are doing good so far. No errors for me

• ConquerLSATboiConquerLSATboi Alum Member
    edited June 2019 81 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" is there an option to stop the timer? That’d be really helpful

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    edited June 2019 433 karma

Hi Alan. I just wrote PT 60 on my Ipad Pro 2nd Gen (Safari) and when I wrote the LG section it showed me the last game and the last question right when i started. Also, when i started the RC section it skipped the first two passages and started me off on the third passage. Also, a lot of the times the answer choices are greyed out to begin (such as when you have eliminated the answer choice) I have to manually eliminate an answer choice then it turns all the other ones back to normal.

Digital Tester for problem sets
    @TwinklePatel
    Great, I'm glad it's working well for you, and thank you for the encouragement!

Sorry, it's hard to predict when the Digital Tester will be ready for problem sets. A big part of the timing depends on how many bugs pop up for the tester, since those get priority.

The Digital Tester will likely never reach a "final" status, but will be improved over time as we find and fix more bugs and add features and enhancements. That said, we are feeling pretty happy with the current state of the tester, which is why we have been working on integrating it with problem sets.

Pausing timer
    @ConquerLSATboi
    Sorry, pausing is not possible in the tester, and likely never will. It was a conscious decision to not allow pausing. This is because the real test does not allow pausing for any reason, so we believe that it is better to practice with that sort of tension so it doesn't affect you on test day.

We actually built in the pausing feature in an earlier version, and later removed it for the above reason.

Sections start on wrong question number
    @VanishingTaxAct
    Thank you so much for letting us know about this! We put out an update just now that should fix this. Please force refresh and let us know if it's still starting sections at the wrong question number for you.

Responses start off eliminated
    @VanishingTaxAct
    Thank you for the heads up! We couldn't get this to happen on our side, but think there may be a confusion. For RC and LG, when you start a new passage/game, the question panel starts off greyed out until you tap on the question panel, or the "Stop game time tracking" button, or go to another question. The responses aren't eliminated, they are greyed out (along with everything else in the question panel) as a visual indication that the Digital Tester is tracking your time spent as reading/prep of the passage/game.

If that is not the case, is there a particular question where this happens, or is it random? When responses start off eliminated, were they eliminated in the previous question (e.g. are eliminated responses being "sticky" across questions?)

• 310 karma

Has anyone else had a problem opening up a section during BR? I've never had this happen while using the digital tester, but one of the sections won't load when I go to open it and I have tried doing so on two different devices. It's weird because all of my other sections are loading fine!

3075 karma

Blind Review not loading for some sections
    @standardizedcanbelearned
    Thank you for letting us know! Could you please let us know what PT and section are giving you trouble, so we can take a closer look?

• 310 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" said:
    @standardizedcanbelearned
    Thank you for letting us know! Could you please let us know what PT and section are giving you trouble, so we can take a closer look?

Yeah! It's PT 42 section 1 (logic games). It just stays "loading" every time I go to open it.

• lsatstudy18lsatstudy18 Alum Member
    156 karma

Is there any way to take the tests untimed?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

is there a broad target date to implement single section options?

• 70 karma

Hi, I just want to ask whether anybody came across the same problem as me did, whenever I finished 3 sections on a preptest, when I click the 4th section, it shows that it is loading but do not show the content anymore,I have to force refresh to finish a complete preptest. The same occurred to me when I BR my preptest after 3 sections, I do not know why. Also, I came across some RC sections do not start with the 1st passage, it directly jump to the 3rd passage and the questions start there.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

@VanishingTaxAct said:
    Hi Alan. I just wrote PT 60 on my Ipad Pro 2nd Gen (Safari) and when I wrote the LG section it showed me the last game and the last question right when i started. Also, when i started the RC section it skipped the first two passages and started me off on the third passage. Also, a lot of the times the answer choices are greyed out to begin (such as when you have eliminated the answer choice) I have to manually eliminate an answer choice then it turns all the other ones back to normal.

The same thing happened to me when I took PT40. I remember it happening in LR (started me on Question 21 or 22, I think) as well as on LG and RC, if I recall correctly.

What it looked like for me was: I clicked the "start section" button, and started reading passages / answering questions, and then was like, wait a minute, something's not right. And when I looked at the bottom row (where all of the circles with the question numbers are listed) I saw that I was mid-section and mid-passage/game. For me, it wasn't a huge deal - I just finished the passage it placed me into and then manually returned myself to #1 for that section. Hope some of that is helpful.

I'm on a Surface Pro using Chrome.

@standardizedcanbelearned @zmy20093238648
    Thank you for sending us these details! I t looks like there is definitely something weird going on here, and we are looking into it.

Untimed Tests
    @lsatstudy18
    You can sort of do untimed tests by doing blind review (that's essentially what blind review is). You can also use +100% time accommodations using the clock icon, it's not unlimited, but it is a lot more time.

Digital Tester for problem sets - ETA
    @doyouevenLSAT
    We hope to have it out by the end of July, but it could be sooner or later.

This discussion has been closed.