Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4 months to study full time #help

Layth HertLayth Hert Alum Member

hi guys! so i'm a rising senior at boston university (gpa: 3.33) and i had done some review on here since last summer, but i officially started studying properly the beginning of this week to sit the september test. i have the ultimate+ and i'm trying to get through the core curriculum so i can get as much practice and PTs as i can to be ready by then. i know JY and all of you say that take the lsat when you're ready and not plan around an lsat date, but i have 4 months of absolutely nothing to do but to study so i was hoping i'd be ready by september. i'm thinking of doing 25 hours a week would be good (around 5 hours a day, 6 times per week), and i'm hoping to be done with the CC by the end of june (the CC is extremely long so i have no idea how long it would take me to finish and it's really worrying me), and i'd have around 2.5 months to do PTs. do you guys think that would be doable? i did extremely bad on the diagnostic (137) so i am extremely discouraged, but i am very motivated. i want to get to 170 at some point. i know some of you are gonna say that it's a reach and that i can't improve by that much, but i was not at the best mental state when i took the diagnostic so i don't think it's what i would have scored at my best potential. what way do you guys suggest i study or split my time to reach my goal? september lsat is non-negotiable because i'm applying in the fall and i'm doing ED to northwestern. i reckon that 4 months of only LSAT studying should suffice, no? i don't work or anything this summer. any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! i'm really anxious about the whole thing, like i'm getting a daily anxiety attack thinking about studying and finishing on time reaching my goal. i know this is extremely lengthy so i apologize, i just needed to rant and get this off my chest, and if you made it this far into the post i thank you and any words of wisdom from you would go a long way. thanks guys!

Comments

• Snoopy123Snoopy123 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 105 karma

Hey. You’re in the same shoes I am. I take it September and after I finished the CC my first PT was 160 (diagnostic was 144). It’s doable but you need to make sure that you’re not overworking yourself burning yourself out.i study 5 hours a day (min) like you!
    The best tip to help burnout for me at least, is to keep my nights clear. Finish up before dinner and then spend the rest of the night winding down and relaxing a bit. Watch a movie, take a break. Also, take a break in the middle of your study sessions to grab a snack and cool off for a bit. Burn out is real.
    Focus on the lessons. Drill whatever section you’re weak on. You have time. And you CAN do this. Never forget that you can do this and it will be okay.
    Your first practice exam after completing the CC won’t necessarily be the score you want, but do not be discouraged. Use that as a way to see what you missed and drill those sections. If you ever need a study buddy, I’m here!
    Study groups and BR calls are incredible tools! Use them to your advantage.
    Best of luck. Never forgot that you can do this!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Good luck with your studies! Work through the CC at a pace that allows you to absorb the information. You should really strive to become fluent with conditional logic and when you read LR stimuli get in the habit of identifying the conclusion and support structure for the conclusion. Doing a little bit of work every day is better than cramming. Lastly, stay involved here on the forums! There are a lot of people who are willing to help and commenting on questions in the CC and on practice tests will help you improve.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

I would study 40+ hours a week if you truly have the summer off and MUST apply in Sept. I would also get a tutor once your done with the CC so that you are studying as efficiently and effectively as possible.
    Also, it's so hard to do that well out the gate. You might want to set yourself up with an another test as well. Will NW take the Oct test for ED? I suspect they will.

• Layth HertLayth Hert Alum Member
    76 karma

@Snoopy123 said:
    Hey. You’re in the same shoes I am. I take it September and after I finished the CC my first PT was 160 (diagnostic was 144). It’s doable but you need to make sure that you’re not overworking yourself burning yourself out.i study 5 hours a day (min) like you!
    The best tip to help burnout for me at least, is to keep my nights clear. Finish up before dinner and then spend the rest of the night winding down and relaxing a bit. Watch a movie, take a break. Also, take a break in the middle of your study sessions to grab a snack and cool off for a bit. Burn out is real.
    Focus on the lessons. Drill whatever section you’re weak on. You have time. And you CAN do this. Never forget that you can do this and it will be okay.
    Your first practice exam after completing the CC won’t necessarily be the score you want, but do not be discouraged. Use that as a way to see what you missed and drill those sections. If you ever need a study buddy, I’m here!
    Study groups and BR calls are incredible tools! Use them to your advantage.
    Best of luck. Never forgot that you can do this!

thank you so much that was very encouraging!! i would love to be study buddies if you'd like :)

• Layth HertLayth Hert Alum Member
    76 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    Good luck with your studies! Work through the CC at a pace that allows you to absorb the information. You should really strive to become fluent with conditional logic and when you read LR stimuli get in the habit of identifying the conclusion and support structure for the conclusion. Doing a little bit of work every day is better than cramming. Lastly, stay involved here on the forums! There are a lot of people who are willing to help and commenting on questions in the CC and on practice tests will help you improve.

awesome thanks so much!! appreciate the support

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

@"Layth Hert" @Snoopy123 ---This is awesome! I am studying full-time this summer to take the exam in Spetember with the intention of applying this fall. Would be nice if we could create a group for the people studying full-time this summer to share some tips and what not. I would greatly appreciate it. I also recently made a discussion post detailign what I'm doing this month if you want to look and/or have any suggestions (Suggestions for full-time 8-hour study sessions for LSAT?). Trying to avoid burnout so I'm doing like 5 hours mininimum in an 8-hr time period each day.

• I would be totally up to join this group, we can definitely help each other out!

105 karma

@hurdlehopper101 @"Positively LSAT Street" I would love to create a chat as well! Message me with info and we can get it started!

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Hi @"Layth Hert", studying full-time about 5-6 hours a day 5 days per week I think would suffice. I am doing that now and I have seen great returns. I would recommend doing 5 days and not 6 because of exposure to potential burnout if you are studying full-time 6 days a week. The LSAT is a complex test that takes time for the majority of people and your brain needs time to rest, process and make connections in the background---when you are taking breaks. However, if you are able to study 6 days per week and don't get too tired and bogged down, then go for it.

To answer your question about reaching the 170s from a 137 diagnostic, I would say that is definitely possible. There are some AMAs and webinars here on 7sage with people scoring in the mid to high 170s from diagnostics in the 140s. So, it is definitely doable. However, it seems like, from the majority of those high scorers, it took a lot of hard work, studying, review and breaks to achieve those high scores.

I wish you the best of luck studying and hope it goes well. Studying full-time sure is fun and you can see returns with implementing the proper approach to the test. I hope this helped!

• 604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
    94 karma

Hi guys,

I'm taking the fourth retake and attempting to take the September 2019 LSAT. My scores are in the low 150 range but I work full time. I still manage to get 2-3 hours in during the morning and I study in the evening for an hour if I'm not feeling burned out. And attempt 8 hours during the weekend (so like 9-5). I am just going through the CC to help with my understanding which is lacking before I start taking more PTs again. I don't want to use them all up. Is this a good approach?

• 604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
    94 karma

I'd like to be in this study group if one is being made! My goal is to hit 158-160.

• maraurgarmaraurgar Alum Member
    9 karma

Likewise! Goal is also to hit high 150s-160 by September.

• Best.Yet.2.ComeBest.Yet.2.Come Core Member
    239 karma

May I join the group as well?

• nicolecg123nicolecg123 Member
    3 karma

May I join the group

• 615 karma

I'd say prepare to study for longer(like... be okay with it) if necessary. I started studying for LSAT last year May, to take the real thing in October. However, I was not even close to my goal, and was extremely discouraged when I realized there's no way I was applying for 2019 cycle. I almost quit studying and it took me some time to recover. Looking back, I think it would've been really beneficial if I had a more realistic/long term plan.

• jinfan102jinfan102 Member
    34 karma

Would love to join the group! Will study full-time during this summer.

105 karma

Hi everyone, sadly the group is closed now, we have a lot of people in it already. I would encourage everyone to keep looking at the discussion boards! Groups are forming every week! Best of luck to all!