Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To take or not to take

Best.Yet.2.ComeBest.Yet.2.Come Core Member
in July 2019 LSAT 239 karma

I am currently scheduled to sit for the July 2019 test. Given the unique circumstance of being able to cancel score with a free retake I have planned to take it; although, I am not scoring where I would like. However, I am wondering if scoring low will be a confidence setback and if I should cancel and schedule for the September test. Conversely, should I continue with the plan of sitting for the July test, possibly get the digital format which would give me a practice run at digital format?

Currently, I am taking a summer class concurrently with LSAT studying and will start fall classes the end of August. I mention that because it would give me additional time where I am primarily able to focus on LSAT studying. I would appreciate any general advice. Additionally for those of you who sat for the test more than once, how did you maintain your confidence approaching your second take? Was it a matter of the increased understanding you gained in the time from the first to second test?

Adding to the stress is that LSAC has yet to approve my accommodations request; therefore, I have not done a 35 minute timed section or overall PT with the time constraints.

Comments

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

I would recommend to take it in July! If anything, go in with the attitude that it is a practice test. Although I hope your studies go well, there is no guarantee that you will feel more prepared come September. I think you should take the LSAT come July, and you can choose to reschedule it anytime up to a year after that. So let's say, worse case scenario, you don't feel ready come September, you could take it November or even January. If you start fall classes come August (twelve or fifteen credits) you might feel even more flustered and September might be even worse.

• omarserrano97omarserrano97 Core Member
    edited June 2019 11 karma

I also feel rocky about this July test coming up and not hitting my ideal target, but literally this test is LOW RISK. You should try to the best of your capabilities, but also not think it's a do-or-die situation. You can reschedule in October if need be.

I BOMBED the Sept 2018 test, and I'm coming into this July test for my 2nd take with a 1.5 month's worth of prep because I just graduated. I however, am looking to reach my target in the September 2019 test. The worst case scenario is that I don't get a higher score, but I'll just reschedule for free in October for a fourth take. I honestly think it's worth it even if you don't feel fully prepped.

Start taking more timed tests (at least 1-2 this week), and you'll feel better with the time element.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@omarserrano97 said:
    I also feel rocky about this July test coming up and not hitting my ideal target, but literally this test is LOW RISK. You should try to the best of your capabilities, but also not think it's a do-or-die situation. You can reschedule in October if need be.

I BOMBED the Sept 2018 test, and I'm coming into this July test for my 2nd take with a 1.5 month's worth of prep because I just graduated. I however, am looking to reach my target in the September 2019 test. The worst case scenario is that I don't get a higher score, but I'll just reschedule for free in October for a fourth take. I honestly think it's worth it even if you don't feel fully prepped.

Start taking more timed tests (at least 1-2 this week), and you'll feel better with the time element.

Exactly the same. Tried to juggle LSAT and school, had two bad takes (should have cancelled the second one, flat out. I wound up with a migraine during the last section). Just graduated in May, but I know it's not enough time. I am hoping it's a practice run with the new tech (50% will get it, 50% will get paper tests), and if I don't like it, I'll cancel and use the freebie later like in November or January. Honestly, not that big a deal. I am still studying tho, I am just more realistic this time around.
    The moral of that story is: don't rush yourself to meet a test deadline. And dont be hard headed enough to do that twice like I did.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

I had the same struggle. I took my first test in March after beginning prep in January. I am 12 years out of college, so a little rusty on certain things and habits.
    I did OK- 155. I went at least -17 on Logic Games after realizing a fatal error in the first game which wasted 6 minutes ... and froze me up. I do not think I will perform as I would like on July 15, but as Omar said, it is a low-risk (and quite unique) opportunity. I am hoping to get the digital format to test it out and I plan to sit for the September or October test either way.
    Best of Luck!!