Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To cancel or not to cancel?

Ryan MurrayRyan Murray Alum Member
edited June 2019 in General 29 karma

I am sitting for the July LSAT, as most of know, we are allowed to see our score before deciding to cancel it. I was wondering what score would be a definite cancel? I have a LSAC weighted GPA of 3.75 and would really like to have ANY LSAT score on file (even if I plan on retaking in November) so I can send out some applications for ED. I do not mind going to a tier 4-5 law school if worst comes to worst, as my REAL need is scholarships. I am under a contractual obligation to take the July LSAT (free prep material from my undergraduate will have to be payed back if not taken by July) but I just graduated in December 2018 and barely got to LSAT studying in March. I am a non-tradition law school applicant, I graduated HS in 2003 and decided to go back to school 10 years later after being in the business world. I am a first generation college graduate and of course a first generation potential law school student and would appreciate any and all advice, as there are so many conflicting posts/threads online. My PTs ranged from 134 in March to 147 as of last week. Of course I will continue to use my Princeton Review prep materials until test day. I would like to know if I should cancel a score if I plan on retaking in November? Is it okay to have, say a 150 on file and retake it in November in hopes of getting a higher score?

Soft notes:
I have 10+ years of work experience (solid resume)
I have 2 LOR's (one from a professor, 1 from a business partner)
A great personal statement
Volunteer experience

Comments

• Best.Yet.2.ComeBest.Yet.2.Come Core Member
    239 karma

Following. I was told from the admissions counselor, during last week's tour, not to cancel a 150; however, I know that would not put me in the running for any scholarships. One saving grace is that I have a high GPA. I graduated HS in 1990 (yikes) and am satisfied with my school of choice which ranks #98-100. I am working hard at LGs because that is an area I have totally bombed. The balance is working on them too much at the exclusion of staying as sharp as I can be in other areas.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

If you have a 150 on file and get higher later? Nah. An addendum of "I studied harder" is pretty much it. I mean, if you went from 150 to 180 in a couple months, I imagine there might be some red flags.

However, consider this: if you don't get a score you like, this one and only time for July, you see your score and get to decide after to cancel AND if you cancel, the next test you take afterwards (before April) is free.
    For example, if I get less than a certain number in July (I have a specific number in mind as my cutoff), I will cancel and I can get my November free. We'll have about four days to decide this.
    So, if you get a score you're pretty unhappy with, and you plan to redo anyway, and you really think you can do better with some more study, cancelling might be something you should consider.

• GenesisGenesis Member
    55 karma

I'm assuming you're in the US, I'm on the same boat, however, if it is less than154 I would cancel. I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Canada they get the average of your LSAT scores and anything less than a 154 won't get you into any law schools. I would personally, worst case scenario cancel if you score really low and do it again in September to have some time to apply to schools in the fall. That gives you about 2 months to practice practice practice. The higher your LSAT score the more likely you will qualify for scholarships, and you have a good GPA. Also, congrats on being first generation to pursue post-secondary education, same here. You should feel proud!

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

@floressanchezg said:
    I'm assuming you're in the US, I'm on the same boat, however, if it is less than154 I would cancel. I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Canada they get the average of your LSAT scores and anything less than a 154 won't get you into any law schools. I would personally, worst case scenario cancel if you score really low and do it again in September to have some time to apply to schools in the fall. That gives you about 2 months to practice practice practice. The higher your LSAT score the more likely you will qualify for scholarships, and you have a good GPA. Also, congrats on being first generation to pursue post-secondary education, same here. You should feel proud!

The only school in Canada that averages LSAT is the University of Alberta and McGill, every other Canadian law school that considers the LSAT takes your highest score.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@"Ryan Murray" said:
    I have a LSAC weighted GPA of 3.75 and would really like to have ANY LSAT score on file (even if I plan on retaking in November) so I can send out some applications for ED.

@"Ryan Murray" said:
    I do not mind going to a tier 4-5 law school if worst comes to worst, as my REAL need is scholarships.

Binding ED applications often prevent you from getting scholarships. Your leverage is gone because if the school accepts you, you have to go there or sit out an admission cycle. Scholarships are given to entice the student to enroll at that particular school over competing offers.

• Ryan MurrayRyan Murray Alum Member
    edited June 2019 29 karma

@drbrown2 what would you recommend? Not looking to get an ED acceptance. Just want to apply asap while scholarships are plentiful.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@"Ryan Murray" said:
    @drbrown2 what would you recommend? Not looking to get an ED acceptance. Just want to apply asap while scholarships are plentiful.

I think you should take the test! Keep studying hard but don't treat July as your one shot to getting into law school. Applying on day 1 with a 150 is not going to get you as good results as applying later in the cycle with a higher score. I understand your desire to have a score on record and think that is a good idea, but you would be giving up the chance to retake the LSAT later in the cycle for free. I would take in July, and if you don't reach your goal score just cancel and retake. Keep studying and sign up once you are more consistently scoring around your target score.

Your GPA is good and if you are able to improve to an LSAT score in the higher 150s/160 score you would be leapfrogging huge percentiles of students. Applying early is nice, but maximizing your LSAT potential is going to pay off more than maximizing the early timing of your apps.