Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High 160s to consistent 170s

Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
in General 147 karma

I got a 167 on March 2019 test, and i got a 168 on pt 85, 169 on PT 82. I have gotten lucky a couple times and got a 171(PT 83) but thats rare. Anyone have tips on scoring in 170s consistently? For LR i get between -2 and -4, RC -4-6 and LG -2-0

Comments

• tristan.locke1tristan.locke1 Alum Member
    100 karma

How is your timing? I was in the same boat for a while, but focusing on timing was key for me. If you’re scoring that highly, it could be that you’re rushing the more difficult LR sections (15-~25) and spending too much time on the easiest questions. I tried to limit to one minute per question on 1-15. Odds are you’re first choice for an answer will be correct.

Reading is the most difficult section to improve. I would recommend printing all the reading sections for the early LSATs and just getting reps in.

Finally, see if there is one question type that you’re bad at. I focused on PSA questions for 2 weeks and finally saw some good improvements.

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

Thanks. I normally do ok with time. I finish around 3-5 min early most of the time. Yes im finding that getting reps in for rc helps.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

I think using the LR question bank will be helpful. In the weeks leading up to your next exam, I'd go through all 4-star and 5-star LR questions, or at least on the question types that you (1) seem to get incorrect more than others, or (2) seem to spend a long time on. People sometimes forget that improving your score is not just achieved by focusing on your weaknesses -- it can be very beneficial to enhance your skills on question types you almost always get correct but find yourself spending more than a minute on. For example, you can often rule out 2-3 answer choices in a parallel method of reasoning question by simply skimming the choices (I'm talking about looking at each one for about 3-4seconds) and getting a general feel for the structure, strength/absoluteness of language, etc.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

Also, for LG, I found that I improved from getting 0 to 2 wrong per test to getting consistently 0 wrong (with the very occasional 1 wrong) by getting faster and faster (and more accurate!) at reading the game and setting up my board. Doing this in 1.5-2.5 mins for each game, as opposed to 3-4mins for each game (which is still a decent pace) can leave you with a lot of extra time for the section. Sure, you can work on foolproofing to try to ensure you don't miss the inferences that help reduce the overall complexity, but why not also put yourself in a position to have some extra time on hand in the event that you do miss one of those inferences? This allowed me to get -0 on games for this past June exam. From reading around on these forums, I strongly feel that the general consensus slightly overemphasizes the need for spending time on foolproofing. Foolproofing is probably very helpful if you are getting -7 on the LG section. But once you get to the point where your floor is a -2, there are often better, more efficient ways to spend your time while practicing LG.

• 246 karma

@"tristan.locke1" said:
    How is your timing? I was in the same boat for a while, but focusing on timing was key for me. If you’re scoring that highly, it could be that you’re rushing the more difficult LR sections (15-~25) and spending too much time on the easiest questions. I tried to limit to one minute per question on 1-15. Odds are you’re first choice for an answer will be correct.

Reading is the most difficult section to improve. I would recommend printing all the reading sections for the early LSATs and just getting reps in.

Finally, see if there is one question type that you’re bad at. I focused on PSA questions for 2 weeks and finally saw some good improvements.

Were you able to improve by just blasting through RC passages? I am in pretty much the same boat, but I fluctuate by about 5 points depending on my RC score, it is ridiculously frustrating. I go anywhere between -2 to -7 and can't find consistency. I definitely didn't give this section enough attention early in my prep, but I'm guessing I've still done around 35-40 sections. I literally never feel comfortable on this section and always feel rushed.