Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bombed my first PT after CC

edited July 2019 in General 413 karma

I scored 141 and my BR was 156. My target is 160-163.

My scores were the following:
LR: - 12
LG: -18 😒
LR: -15
RC: -13

After BR
LR: -9
lG: -10
LR: -12
RC: -7

I’m taking the September test. Do I even have a shot? It was the first time i ever did LSAT on a tablet and i was very nervous dor some reason.....
For full disclosure, i was in and still am in the process of FPing games and it’s been a while since I reviewed LR and basically only did RC for a week. Can i get to my target score in 2 months? And if can you guys give me some advice.
The only silver lining that I see here is my BR score is close to my target score.

Help me folks😎

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Don't sweat it. Your diagnostic score tells you absolutely nothing about where you have the potential to ultimately score. Yes, you have a shot by September!

My advice is that you should use 7Sage and follow the core curriculum and that you should make the 163 the goal to work towards and not the arbitrary September test date. The fact that your BR score is not too far off from the score goal is very hopeful though.

Good Luck

• @Alex how often do I have to revisit the CC? Since I’ve done it once..

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Positively LSAT Street" said:
    @Alex how often do I have to revisit the CC? Since I’ve done it once..

What I did was use the analytics to guide me. I would return to the lessons and review and drill whatever was giving me trouble. How often varied greatly; however, it was fairly often following my first time through.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Practice! You have so much room to improve in some very learnable areas!!! The LG score stood out to me most, because if you do 1 section of LG every day or more using the foolproof method you should be able to make massive scaled score jumps. As you study LR will naturally improve. RC is the most difficult, but if you learn to read for structure and do enough RC you will have an easier time noticing the content that is often asked about in the questions. Practice hard and go really in depth during BR. You got this!

• Kimberly-4Kimberly-4 Alum Member
    30 karma

When you all say "CC" does this mean the core curriculum? I am also planning on taking the September LSAT, and have been going back and forth about whether I should finish the core curriculum and then continue with the PT's, or take them as I get through the core curriculum.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

@"Kimberly-4" said:
    When you all say "CC" does this mean the core curriculum?

Yes.

I am also planning on taking the September LSAT, and have been going back and forth about whether I should finish the core curriculum and then continue with the PT's, or take them as I get through the core curriculum.

I advise you start PTs sooner rather than later. There's a good amount of "test-taking" knowledge that is best cultivated over time (and obviously not garnered by advancing through the CC). Getting used to the time constraints is the biggest, but there's also the mental endurance factor, being able to move on to section 3 immediately after getting rattled by section 2, etc.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited July 2019 470 karma

@"Positively LSAT Street"
    You did poorly on LG -- which is to be expected on someone's diagnostic test. The good news is that many people find LG the easiest to improve upon (though not necessarily to perfect, i.e. going -0). With your LG score, I'm going to assume you had some difficulty in setting up the games. So as a piece of advice, after you do poorly on a game, watch JY's explanation to see how he parsed the rules and set up his board -- then stop there. Reread the game yourself, and see if you now understand it better and can parse the rules/set up your board similarly to JY without having to look back at the video. Then, see if you can solve the rest of the questions with your new setup and better understanding of the problem. Finally, continue watching the rest of the explanation video to see how JY went about solving the questions.

I found this to be a much more efficient, "active" way of reviewing games than simply doing the game, getting rocked by it, watching the video, thinking "damn I did so many things wrong! Where do I even begin?" Rather, by the time you get to the end of the video, you may be thinking "Phew, okay, I did poorly initially, but now I get it and will likely retain this since I've dealt with the explanation actively." It also helps you to realize that while a game may have ~6 questions, the work you do before answering the questions is probably 50% of the battle. So much of LG is simply obtaining an effective board/setup (there are sometimes more than one) before tackling the questions. I think this review strategy helped get me over the hump of consistently scoring in the -3/-2 on LGs to consistently scoring -0/-1.