Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you a super-prepper? If so, how has the LSAT changed you?

deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
in General 393 karma
I consider myself to be a super-prepper. I started in December and since then have prepped at least 20 hours a week, and done probably 40+ preptests and 50+ individual sections. In that time I have noticed no less than three changes in myself:

1) I have started to speak very precisely (no less than in sentence above for example, or extreme precision in some, most, all, etc)
2) I am thinking about the precision in other people's language more, and frequently asking myself things (for example, if so, then what else has to be true?)
3) I feel that I am seeing patterns more, for example if someone tells me their schedule the LG circuits go off in my mind.
4) I reread things a lot more often, if there is even a tiny bit that I do not get

Anybody else have things like this? It is simultaneously annoying and awesome!

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    It happens, I get caught up when I read random article online that have nothing to do with the LSAT. My brain goes into LSAT mode and I catch myself trying to validate arguments lol
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 812 karma
    I've realized that just about every advertisement out there preys on common LSAT flaws haha. For example TrueCar "you can know you are getting a good price on your car because that's the price everyone else in your area is getting" well how inclusive is your data base? what if everyone is paying too much? etc etc

I also find myself arguing with my friends, and then pointing out flaws in my own logic to them
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    As mentioned above, I tend to analyze what people say to me and try figure out if they have a solid argument.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    totally... I've started picking holes in what people say... premising my sentences a lot more carefully than I usually would.... all that!
  • edited March 2015 131 karma
    I relate with all four. More so, I have begun to see how illogical I can be as well as how illogical most arguments are (i.e. the ones we are used to hearing on a everyday basis via advertisements, disputes between friends, etc.). Humbling, for sure.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I definitely see logical flaws in everyday contexts more frequently because of the LSAT. And I am trying to speak more carefully to attempt to not commit a fallacy myself. I at least think about logical fallacies a lot differently.
  • sdiaz2030sdiaz2030 Alum Member
    28 karma
    I am a legal assistant and my proofing skills have greatly improved. I find that I no longer skip over filler words in sentences and I reread a lot more.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3545 karma
    I start categorizing flaws people make when arguing/debating something. "Oh, that's an ad hominem" / "oo that's an analogy but doesn't provide proof that the analogy is applicable"

My language has gotten more precise with less use of referential pronouns.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    I agree with all of the above. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've come to realize that just about every argument I hear made is completely flawed. I feel like LR has improved my ability to reason and analyze material more thoroughly.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    When I was studying for the LSAT, I refused to sit next to Bob, but only if he was sitting across from Linda.

(To be honest, it still hasn't fully gone away.)
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    The LSAT has made me less patient and more annoyed with others. LOL
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I work with a person who routinely invokes her "17 years experience" as the sole reason for heeding her advice. It is a convincing argument to most, I suppose, However, I was recently able weaken the strength of her MP by asking a simple question: "You know who else had seventeen years experience?".....
    "Michael Jackson's doctor!!!"

Thanks LSAT study
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Fabulous @nye8870 !!