Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games by 7Sagers: Dillon's Dilemma

pseudonymouspseudonymous Alum Member Inactive ⭐
edited April 2015 in General 521 karma
A Game A Day
… keeps the, um, mental atrophy away? :-P

I’m on the verge of completing my Sequencing Games training, and because I have no life am super ultra cool, I made up my own logic game. Take that, LSAC!

I would be so flattered if you will solve this. I think it’s pretty easy (LOL creator bias? It’s nice being on this end), so maybe 5-6ish minutes to solve? Actually, I have no idea.

And now, tongue firmly in cheek, I present to you the following game:

Having scored 175+ on their LSATs, seven smart cookies – @amanda_kw, @blah170blah, @christopherblair, @DumbHollywoodActor, @emli1000, @"Fritz A W", and @nicole.hopkins – were hired by 7Sage to be online tutors for select new members. There is one tutor for each day of the week (running from Monday to Sunday), and each tutor is assigned exactly once. Dillon A. Wright must create a schedule according to the following conditions:

Blah170blah can only tutor on Saturday or Sunday.
Amanda_kw and Emli1000 must tutor before Nicole.hopkins does.
Fritz A W must tutor the day after Nicole.hopkins.
Christopherblair tutors before Emli1000.

Dillon carefully crafted a schedule according to everyone’s stipulations and availabilities, only to be grilled by JY and Alan with the following questions:

1. Which one of the following could be a possible tutoring schedule?

(A) Monday: DumbHollywoodActor; Tuesday: Christopherblair; Wednesday: Amanda_kw; Thursday: Emli1000; Friday: Nicole.hopkins; Saturday: Fritz A W; Sunday: Blah170blah

(B) Monday: DumbHollywoodActor; Tuesday: Fritz A W; Wednesday: Amanda_kw; Thursday: Emli1000; Friday: Christopherblair; Saturday: Nicole.hopkins; Sunday: Blah170blah

(C) Monday: Emli1000; Tuesday: Christopherblair; Wednesday: Amanda_kw; Thursday: Nicole.hopkins; Friday: Fritz A W; Saturday: DumbHollywoodActor; Sunday: Blah170blah

(D) Monday: Amanda_kw; Tuesday: Emli1000; Wednesday: Christopherblair; Thursday: Nicole.hopkins; Friday: Fritz A W; Saturday: DumbHollywoodActor; Sunday: Blah170blah

(E) Monday: Amanda_kw; Tuesday: Christopherblair; Wednesday: Emli1000; Thursday: Blah170blah; Friday: Nicole.hopkins; Saturday: Fritz A W; Sunday: DumbhollywoodActor

2. Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of possible tutor(s) for Saturday?

(A) Blah170blah
(B) DumbHollywoodActor
(C) Blah170blah and Fritz A W
(D) Blah170blah, Fritz A W, and Nicole.hopkins
(E) Blah170blah, DumbHollywoodActor, and Fritz A W

3. If Amanda_kw tutors on Wednesday, how many options does Dillon have for scheduling DumbHollywoodActor?

(A) Two
(B) Three
(C) Four
(D) Five
(E) Six

4. Which of the following days can Nicole.hopkins tutor?

(A) Monday
(B) Wednesday
(C) Thursday
(D) Saturday
(E) Sunday

5. JY and Alan decide that Christopherblair having to tutor before Emli1000 is a silly stipulation. They fire Christopherblair, and Jonathan Wang must step in to fill the gap. However, Jonathan has some stipulations too. Assuming that the remaining rules still hold, which of the following demands could Jonathan make, such that the number of possible schedules created by poor Dillon remains unchanged?

(A) He tutors on Thursday only.
(B) He tutors before Nicole.hopkins and after Amanda_kw.
(C) He tutors before Fritz A W.
(D) He does not tutor on Saturday, and only tutors on Sunday if Emli1000 tutors on Tuesday.
(E) He tutors after Nicole.hopkins but before Blah170blah.

Let me know if I missed something and accidentally gave you an unsolvable game. Pretty sure I didn’t, but I often have too high an opinion of my abilities…

P.S. It would be so sweet if we could make A Game A Day ™, like, an actual thing. If anyone else wants to give this a try, I promise you it was surprisingly fun!

Highlight for answers >>> 1) A 2) E 3) D 4) C 5) B

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I guess since I'm part of this game I cannot answer it. xP
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    #2 is incomplete & inaccurate since I'm not part of it. Therefore, it's unsolvable! LOL
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Lol this is great :) will give it a try tomorrow!
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    love this haha
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I feel so honored to be in this game. I'd just like to thank 7sage for making this possible and the community for being so welcoming, and of course, my family and friends without whom I wouldn't be who I am today.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Alright, I'm a floater! Major life goal is achieved!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited March 2015 12637 karma
    Omg. I'm a bonehead when it comes to the LSAT but I love this. I sat there for a bit and tried to figure #1 out, at least.
    I'm guessing A?
    12637 karma
    Also I'm stickying this thread cause it's a good idea.
  • pseudonymouspseudonymous Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 521 karma
    Thanks!! You are amazing for doing this!
    Also, that is correct.
    7965 karma
    Might try to solve this game over lunch AND I am also inspired to create my own ... Hint, it's a game type that is rumored to have appeared on the Feb '15 test ... !
  • Dgelf321Dgelf321 Free Trial Member
    edited March 2015 87 karma
    That was pretty cool. Here are my answers

1) a 2) e 3) d 4) c 5) b

Not gonna lie # 5 gave me pause (My least favorite sequencing question type) but your problem was pretty awesome, and very reminiscent of an actual lsat problem. Let me know how I did. Also, LSAC should hire you to write problems - then you can tell us the answers! ;)
  • sdiaz2030sdiaz2030 Alum Member
    28 karma
    Very cool -- My answers below

1) a 2) e 3) c 4) c 5) b

Dgelf321 - here are my four combos. What would be the fifth?

ceanfbd
    ceadnfb
    dcaenfb
    ceanfdb
    521 karma
    Love you guys for solving this! <3

@sdiaz2030 Looks to be cdaenfb :-)
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    That was awesome!
    I got

1.A
    2.E
    3.D
    4.C
    5. B
    7965 karma
    1. A
    2. E
    3. D
    4. C
    5. C — I know everyone else got B for this but here is my reasoning.

C–E, A and D are the only ones who can occupy Mon–Weds (A/D/E/N can be on Thursday) since C–E and A all have to be before NF block and D is a floater. So "Assuming that the remaining rules still hold" (meaning that J–E?), it was never true that C had to go after A (but could have), and thus that would change the rule. Or am I missing something ?? Are we not just swapping J for C? or does J become a floater as well (detached from the C–E rule) and thus can be subject to whatever rules he wants? @"Jonathan Wang" is definitely the diva of this game ... :D :D :D

So choice C (given that NF still holds) would maintain that placement without introducing the additional constraint of A–J ... @#$@$%$^%

If I get a game like this on the actual test it will be a dead give-away of an experimental section ... OR WILL IT? #terror

Nice work, @pseudonymous
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    @nicole.hopkins OH NO YOU DI-INT
    edited March 2015 521 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Haha nice! At first I panicked and went, aw shucks I screwed up... but hopefully this will clarify things:

Q5 asks "Assuming that the remaining rules still hold, which of the following demands could Jonathan make, such that the number of possible schedules created by poor Dillon remains unchanged?"
    i.e. we get rid of "C comes before E", but we must replace the rule with something that will create the exact same number of worlds. So while it's true that in case (c), J will come before the NF block, exactly as C did previously, now the replaced element (J) floats in slots 1-3 or 1-4, whereas before, C had to come before something. This changes the number of possible permutations. Does that make sense?

And LOL, you are right, Jonathan is totally the diva in this story.
    7965 karma
    @pseudonymous OH. Ohhhh. You just blew my mind. And I really hope I don't get that question on the exam because it is definitely master-level, IMO. I've played some games. Never seen that exact permutation before. That one stumped me.

Does anyone know of a game where a question of that type has appeared? I must ferret it out and destroy it.

SO, not only did you get to confirm that you done built a good game, you got to teach me (and terrify me) as well. So win-win-and win for me!

[also damn oprah lookin good in this pic ...]
    7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" another LSAT diva #justsaying #goodcompany

12637 karma
    7965 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" Yes! Love it! I had a kid (literally a child) ask me on IG if it was "normal" that he could "answer" LSAT questions "as a kid" and I was like NOPE YUR DOOMED (jk I was like ... Study hard and have fun kiddo)
  • amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
    383 karma
    My favorite part about this game are that the names are equally as weird as the ones that show up on the LSAT! lol.

But great job! My brain definitely got a workout. :)

1) a / 2) e / 3) d / 4) c / 5) b
    12637 karma
    PS: Made a sub-forum for user-created games and put this game there:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/categories/user-created-games
    521 karma
    Whoa, I spawned a sub-forum!! Brilliant. :-D