Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the 6 weeks between test and score release?

EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
in July 2019 LSAT 703 karma

Without coming off as too salty about it, why the unusually long break between the July LSAT and the release of the scores? I guess it is to examine inconsistencies between paper and digital. Perhaps it could be other data gathering, but I am curious to know.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

They have to collect all the paper tests from all over the country. Then have to account for missing boxes or poor shipping. Then they grade them all and look for errors/cheating/citations on the test. Then they have to make sure the curve is proper for the test. It's a long process for them, and it's painful for test takers! Before the digital test this was a common occurrence haha

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

I heard it's also because some of it was given digitally so it will take them extra time, also to figure out what curve is fair.

• turbodogturbodog Alum Member
    edited August 2019 41 karma

When testing against (or on) a curve A.K.A. the mysterious bell curve, the distribution of scores should look like a bell, A's and F's being the lowest, B's and D's higher, BUT the bulk of the scores on the curve should fall in the C range. Since C is literally the (American) academic equivalent to "average" it makes sense. Each score, based on the number of tests administered, will also have a standard deviation or what I call "The average number of times the average falls outside of the average." (I know. I'm adorable ^.^) This is not to be mistaken with the margin of error which is an entirely different chapter (lol). If the distribution does not show an acceptable curve or the SD is to wide then something is wrong with the test.