3.49/173+ Splitter T14 Chances?

sarahking0523sarahking0523 Free Trial Member

Hi all! My CAS GPA is a 3.49. I just finished my degree this summer, and I'm applying this fall (planning to have apps submitted by late October/early November). I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I've been consistently score in the mid/high 170s on all practice tests (highest score 177). If I do get around a 175 in September, what are my chances for admission at a T14 school realistically? Most of the splitter info I've seen was regarding numbers closer to 3.0-3.3 GPA and 170-172 LSAT, and nothing closer to my numbers. Also, another question, what is considered a safe school for a splitter? At schools where my GPA is the median, my LSAT is usually far above the 75th percentile, so I'm not sure where I should be aiming for safe schools. Thanks in advance!

Additional info about my low GPA (some will be included on apps in an addendum):
1) My degree is a BS in Physics from UCLA.
2) I finished my degree in 3 years instead of 4.
3) My GPA increased each year: 3.05 first year, 3.5 second year, 3.75 third year
4) I worked part-time during the majority of my first and second years.

Other application materials I'll be including:
1) Recommendation letters from a UCLA law school professor, a professor from my major, a non-major professor, and current employer (depending on how many I can submit to each school, of course)
2) Resume detailing previous part-time work, current full-time work, and volunteer leadership position I've held for over a year
3) Hopefully killer personal statement (I'm a good writer, but I don't have any particularly exceptional life experiences/struggles to discuss)

Comments

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

Have you looked at https://7sage.com/predictor/ ? Sorry I cant be of more help, but I hope the link is a good start!

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

It's self-reported and only a snapshot, but you can plug & chug into mylsn: https://mylsn.info/6x29e6/.

I think it'd be interesting to hear why you want to go to law school w/your BS in physics.

• Trisiras AtlasTrisiras Atlas Alum Member
    edited August 2019 38 karma

Honestly, no one can predict your chances. There is several criteria such as are you applying ED? I would honestly first get my score and then apply without thinking about things you can't control (you can still control the LSAT---so make sure you everything in your power not to mess it up). You would definitely be competitive for some t14 schools such as Michigan who loves STEM majors. Probably not going to get into HYS or UChicago. But everything else would be in play

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

Although no one can predict your chances I think you still got a pretty good shot at T14. I am a STEM major as well and 3.49 GPA is actually pretty good considering you are a physics major. One of my friends got in to University of Virginia this year with a 2.7 GPA and 170+ LSAT and he is not a STEM major.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    264 karma

My answer is: JUST APPLY. (apply the schools you really want to go. Worse case is just a rejection letter, so what?)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think applying would be a good thing to try doing. And get some fee waivers if possible. :)

• umich101umich101 Alum Member
    364 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    I think applying would be a good thing to try doing. And get some fee waivers if possible. :)

How do you go about this? I applied to the LSAT fee waiver and was automatically denied (even though I really can't afford it). Curious what you would suggest

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Oh, I meant individual application fees.

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

For situations like this, I have found lawschoolnumbers.com incredibly valuable since many of the people who were accepted/rejected to a given school list, in their profile, their soft factors, addendum type, GPA trends, and a host of other data. I will say, all of my information comes from what I've observed and read, but I have not applied to a law school myself.

I find myself in a similar situation to you without the benefit of having a STEM major to explain my GPA, and it seems like I at least have a fighting chance to get into many of the T14 schools. HYS, UChicago, Cornell, and Berkeley are off the menu for me. Even a 180 won't do the trick. For you, Berkeley and Cornell are still plausible. They will do what they have to do to hold their numbers, but it seems like STEM major types or incredible soft factors are situations in which I've seen them make exceptions. You should be a lock for schools like UVA and Michigan. If you have two years of work experience between your undergrad and application, it seems like you'd also be a lock for Northwestern. I'll also note, having your degree from UCLA helps given it is a top public university and there was an upward trend in your GPA.

• ericaherrera401ericaherrera401 Free Trial Member
    4 karma

@umich101 Try appealing the fee waiver denial. I was denied, appealed and then received the waiver. I had a friend who went through the same process: denied, appealed, approved
    Or try lsac forums, it's the easiest way to get multiple fee waivers