Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Tablet For Digital Prep #Help

LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
edited July 2021 in General 2464 karma

Hey everyone! rather than buying a $500 surface pro tablet to take PT's on, i've been searching for a cheaper, effective alternative. Preferably a tablet in the $100-$200 range that is compatible with google chrome (for 7sage of course) and meets the same screen specifications (10 Inches). If anyone has found a substitute or has any suggestions, please don't be shy!
thanks!

Comments

• pb3ncva15pb3ncva15 Alum Member
    48 karma

I actually purchased an 8" Amazon Fire for $40 a few weeks ago (Prime Day deal), but it's only $50 now. Having sat in July, if you adjust the type settings in-app or in-browser to smaller and closer together, you can roughly approximate the test-day dimensions.

That being said, the 10" lands in the $150ish range that you're looking for. I'm not really a fan of the Fire's overall speed or functionality relative to iPads, but either Fire size gets the job done if you're looking to save cash doing prep tests

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@pb3ncva15 awesome! thanks so much. In regards to functionality, relative to the surface pro (test conditions in july) do you experience any lags when taking PT's on the fire?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Was just about to suggest the fire. They're cheap, but they work pretty well.
    I would think any significant lag would have to do more with internet connection than the tablet itself. My daughter has a kid's version of the fire, and after two years of abuse, it runs things quickly and smoothly. The LSAT tester here isn't really data heavy nor is it complex software.

• datboikevindatboikevin Alum Member
    4 karma

Do you guys know if we're getting the pen and keyboard along with the tablet?

• 36 karma

@datboikevin said:
    Do you guys know if we're getting the pen and keyboard along with the tablet?

Yeah not sure where to ask this (and I’m sure this has been asked elsewhere) but is there no way to annotate the text as you read? Is the 7Sage digital test taker just like the LSAC one in that you can only highlight and underline?

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

We get a stylus that doubles as a pen and on-screen stylus. It is not the surface stylus. No, you do not get a keyboard. There is no way to annotate the text as you read unless you want to take notes in your scratch paper. The 7Sage digital test taker is just like the LSAC one.

• @sillyquilly when you say it doubles as a pen and stylus, do you mean that there’s a pen on one side and a stylus on the other? Or is it like a typical pen that also works as a stylus? Thanks in advance for your reply!

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

@MichaelScottRegionalManager Yes, there is a pen on one side and the stylus on the other. Its a chubby pen and it is kinda loud. Rather than clicking the top, you twist it and the pen pops out.I found myself just using the pen portion of it. The tablets work fine without the stylus. When it comes to highlighting in RC the stylus is useful but you can get by without it.

(can I be the assistant regional manager or at least the assistant TO the regional manager?)

• @sillyquilly assistant regional manager because you replied. 2 month probationary period. hehe C:

• endless_summer17endless_summer17 Alum Member
    76 karma

Is there a way to buy the LSAC stylus to practice? Also I know we can bring our own pencils, but can we bring our own pen too?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@endless_summer17, First, cool username. Second, I believe a previous comment said if you search for disc tip stylus, you'll see similar products.

• Alice003Alice003 Live Member
    691 karma

@pb3ncva15, when you use "8 Amazon fire, how does it go? Would you know which size of tablet LSAC lets us to use in the real LSAT test? I am thinking which tablet or iPad I should buy now. Thank you so much!