Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lsat meaning of the word "often"?

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
in General 205 karma

"lying is often the morally appropriate thing to do"

Is "often" quantifiable?

28:3:23

Comments

• SaraFromOCSaraFromOC Member
    148 karma

I usually categorize it the same way I would for 'most' or 'usually'. It allows for instances where, for example, lying is NOT the morally appropriate thing to do. So an answer choice that says something along the lines of, "it is always the case that" would be a red flag. Hope that helps!

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    205 karma

That helps. Thanks

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

Often only means some. For often to mean most it would have to be "more often than not."

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    edited August 2019 289 karma

"Often" is left up to the interpretation of the writer. If I say, "I often take the train to work," I could mean that once a week I take the train to work and the other four days I walk to work. It could also mean that four times a week I take the train to work, but it doesn't have to mean any more than "sometimes."

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

I agree that "often" is like "some". Another word I see on the LSAT quite a bit that reminds me of it is "many".

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Everyone already covered it, but combining what @BranTwice and @aisling said above, I think of "often" as "many" because both terms are left to interpretation. For example, three dogs is "many" to me, but maybe not someone who runs a kennel, or eating pizza twice a week is "often" to me but maybe not someone else. I feel like both terms can be easily read in casual conversation as "usually" or "most" so I think of them together rather than comparing them to "some" (though in effect "some" is the same thing, I don't think it's interpreted as "most" or "usually" like the other two terms are).