Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long did it take for you to master logic games?

Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
in Logic Games 73 karma

I have yet to solve one LG on my own even without any time restrictions. I do very well with LR and RC, but for some reason LGs have been beating the crap out of me. It is difficult for me to fully comprehend how I should initially set up my game board, better yet make any inferences consistently. Mind you, I am still in progress with the LG section of the CC—but am nearly finished—but regardless, it has been totally disheartening for me.

How long did it take for you guys to fully grasp LG?

Comments

• H96 J.DH96 J.D Alum Member
    142 karma

My advise is,
    first you should finish Jy's LG curriculum.
    second: To me i love his way of making game boards and i 100% follow his strategy on LG.
    Third: in the CC his last slide is the CHEAT CODE. print that out and memorize those game boards in your head.
    Fourth: Foolproofing! Pt's 1-20. make two copies of each game and do one timed and the other without or with doesn't matter. if you make errors. watch his video and do the second copy.

• aussie_zacaussie_zac Alum Member
    90 karma

Every one learns things in different ways.

I would 100% agree with the comment above and if you do all of that and still can't get it, maybe consider getting a Powerscore book or LSAT Trainer or something. The way JY explains things makes sense to me 90% of the time but occasionally it just doesn't click with me and I go and find how other courses teach it and go from there.

They legit are just practice though and the advice above about the Cheat Code is so true. Picking the right board is more than half the battle.

• 776 karma

LG is probably the only section in LSAT where you will see a linear improvement. Meaning that with the hours you put in = should be approximate to the increase you see.

Questions to ask yourself:
    - How many hrs are you putting in everyday on LG?
    - Are you able to see the different game boards? Like immediately realize it is an in/out sequencing etc...
    - Whats your full proofing process? Pacifico had a great one. I know JY recommends 10 tries. I did about 4 per game. But if it was difficult game that a) I would still get a question wrong in b) my timing was off - than I would do it about 10 times.

For my full proofing - I would do maybe 6-10 hours a week (10 hours would be a great week of LSAT studying for LG. It took me 3-4 months on a very part-time basis (I have my own private tutoring business that runs full time, doing my full-time masters, plus married lol)... but I would say it really helps. I really terrible LG section for is -2.

My biggest recommendation in full proofing would be to understand what rules in what games get you tripped up.... meaning that in certain conditional sequencing games for example there maybe a rule you get stuck on and dont know how to break the game down. i would recommend memorize that - understand what that is and make sure you have in it your back pocket. that same rule will show up/that same diagramming of the game will show up in other games. The LSAT is super repetitive in LG/LR & RC. Great test takers have the ability of seeing this patterning immediately. So when your full proofing - do yourself a favour and understand and see the pattern that is being presented to you.

These are just my 2 cents lol but gluck :smile:

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

There is no exact amount of time, but the comments above are correct in that there should be some general linear improvement. I got my first timed -0 after about six months of studying and after I had done at least 100 games. You can achieve mastery, be patient, foolproof, and really start to memorize some of those common rules (block, sequence) and how to set up game boards. After that, you will realize that most of the games start repeating themselves one way or another.

• endless_summer17endless_summer17 Alum Member
    76 karma

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I used Kaplan but I could not wrap my head around the games section. Everyone described Powerscore and LSAT Trainer as amazing prep. I bought both. My problem was beyond figuring out type of game it is, I needed to learn how to quickly dissect the rules and figure out what inferences to look for -- I needed a toolkit of strategies. Powerscore does just that. It breaks down each game type and then tells you what strategies to use. Then, I used the LSAT trainer. This is where I made my biggest jump in improvement because of the intense repetition of the drills.

Now that I have the foundations down, I do the FP method. I do the game, watch every one of J.Y.s videos and do it again immediately after the video, the next day, and then the next week. I do each game 4x and then if I'm still not making his recommended time improvement I highlight it on my google doc and come back to it later. You will get there.

It sounds like you need to build a stronger foundation in comfort level in game type but also figuring out the rules/inferences to make. I found those two books helped build that foundation for me. After you have that down, the FP method does wonders in fine-tuning those skills.