Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preptesting Frequency

DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
in General 550 karma

I usually take 1 preptest and BR everyday with an occasional 1 or 2 day break, and was wondering what other 7Sagers preptesting and BR scheduling is like. Sometimes I feel like i'm doing too much, but it might just be relative.

Comments

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

JY recommends 1 or 2 a week. I think you might be doing too much without giving yourself a chance to process and learn from your mistakes. There is another post that asks about how long BR should take. If you are scoring within 170+, then I think it is totally reasonable to finish BR the same day you take the test. If not, then BR should take more than a day. Right now I am taking 1 PT a week with BR. I hope to increase that to 2 (MAYBE 3). It all depends how I am scoring.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

Woof, yeah. Even if I weren't working at the same time I was studying, I can't imagine doing a PT every day! I want to have enough time in between each PT to really dig into any questions I circled (plus any I didn't circle and got wrong), so that I'm 100% confident on all of those and have hopefully made progress as a result before I move on to the next PT.

I study 4-6 hours each non-PT day and 8ish each day I take a PT. I try for two PTs per week (Wednesday and Saturday), but if I don't get through all of the material I want to in between, I adjust my PT schedule to give myself that time.I think the time in between PTs is more important than the PTs itself - the PTs just give me more material to work from (and a dopamine boost from getting a new score haha).

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    edited August 2019 550 karma

@sillyquilly @aisling I feel like i'm burning out but i can't tell, my LR has taken a dive and its making me more stressed. I just can't stop taking PT's I feel like i'm addicted to being perfect on all sections and even if I miss one question I'll flip out.

• chloe222chloe222 Alum Member
    76 karma

I'd highly recommend against doing a PT everyday.. when I started studying I (naively) took PT everyday. In retrospect my test review was basically pointless because I was exhausted form writing an entire PT. Use your blind review to tear apart each question.. sometimes it takes me 3 days to finish my blind review. Like JR says - if you get a question wrong, watch the video then do the Q 10x until you memorize each of the inferences/methods of reasoning... good luck! :)

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

I think more than 2 a week is too much. You aren't giving yourself enough time to really understand your weaknesses and wasting prep tests. I normally take a test on Saturday under test like conditions and BR it the next day and practice/review the questions I need to work on the following week.

• sillyquillysillyquilly Member
    121 karma

@DivineRaze I think you are burning out. Your LR scores taking a dive might be the fruit of you trying to do too much. You might just be wasting valuable PTs. If you really really really feel like you can't stop taking them, then just start retaking ones you've already taken. You should be able to get 180 on them. If missing one bothers you that much, review the crap out of it and if you are reviewing properly you have no reason to get them wrong again. Good luck!

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Gonna hop on the bandwagon and say you are doing too much. Max 2 PT's a week. I almost never studied more than 6 hours in one day ever. Take that time to BR and give your brain rest.