Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score?

prelawdreamer123prelawdreamer123 Free Trial Member

Hi everyone. I took the July LSAT for fun just because it doesn't matter. I did around how I was doing on practice tests in the time (165-167) and got a 166. I was not fully prepared and I am doing much better on practice tests now (consistently over 170). My question is, should I cancel this score? It is by no means a bad score and may allow me to get into some lower t14s I suppose, but it would not allow me to get any money (I have a good gpa from a top 5 undergrad and excellent internships). I really would love to get the process over with this fall as I am a rising senior in college. The reason I would want to keep it is because it's not an awful score and what if something goes terribly wrong during the September LSAT, which I am signed up for. On the other hand, I do get a free retake if I cancel it. Please provide me your input! My goal would be to go to a school in the lower t14 with money and I am signed up for September and will hopefully do well above that score.

Should I cancel?
  1. Cancel?66 votes
    1. Yes
      15.15%
    2. No
      84.85%

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I don't think it would hurt to keep it. Like you said, it's a solid score, and it's nice to have one on record that you can fall back on if need be. It's impossible to say without knowing your GPA, but it's a good score for T30 admissions/scholarships. I think the only reason to cancel this score would be if it's a financial burden to not get the free retake.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

A good score to have on record, and a high percentile.

• CoffeeEnthusiastCoffeeEnthusiast Alum Member
    211 karma

Is the 200$ registration fee an issue? If not I would definitely keep the 166 and retake when you can.

• prelawdreamer123prelawdreamer123 Free Trial Member
    58 karma

It's not a huge issue but it is mildly annoying is all. I do get financial aid and I received two fee waivers which I used on July and September. I have a strong feeling I will improve and I would not have taken July if it didn't have this cancel option---I took it as a test run/diagnostic. Very conflicted.

• savanyu.emmasavanyu.emma Member
    edited August 2019 34 karma

Why would you consider throwing away all of your hard work? This is a great score!! I wish I had this score! I would be crying with joy if this were my score. It will not serve you at all to cancel it, so why would you?! KEEP IT!!

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I am definitely in the minority here, but I think that if you are confident you can do much better than a 166 and you have the PT data to back it up, you don't need to keep the score.

58 karma

Thank you everyone for your input. I think one thing to keep in mind with my reasoning for cancelling is I do want to go to a t14 with money. That is my goal. I am also looking at some t20 schools like UT Austin, UCLA, USC, but even for those schools a 166 is about or slightly below average. I would not consider going without a scholarship.

• MJGspiceMJGspice Alum Member
    147 karma

If you are confident that you can do better I would cancel. If something goes horribly wrong in September you can always retake. I'm in the same boat. I got a 168 and am consistently PTing between 171-175 and will probably cancel.

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

They can see that you canceled so it's not like nothing is listed, you might as well keep it unless you want a free retake.

• SuperMario929SuperMario929 Alum Member
    464 karma

Schools don’t average your scores anymore—at least, according to admissions directors who have done interviews—so there isn’t much harm in keeping it as backup. If you get sick, or have a bad test day experience, it’s nice knowing this is in your back pocket.

I got into 7 T14s in 2015 with a 166, and I applied late (pursues other grad school options instead so reapplying now with a better score). I know you want the money, so def retake if you can, but keep this as a “just in case” backup score! The worst thing that can happen is that you end up using this score and still get in anyway, so there is no cost to doing so.

• MJGspiceMJGspice Alum Member
    147 karma

From Harvard's Admissions FAQ's.... I would imagine other schools are the same even though they only report the higher score for their medians.

"Should I retake the LSAT or GRE?
    You need only take the LSAT or GRE once, however, if you take multiple tests, the Admissions Committee will consider all LSAT and/or GRE scores presented as part of your application.

Please note, while the GRE is composed of multiple sections, no one section will be weighted more heavily than the others. Similarly, each test score is reviewed individually; we do not “super-score”, average, or consider the highest composite score exclusively.

We consider any information an applicant provides about their scores. If you feel that one or more of your scores is not representative of your capabilities, you may address your concerns in an addendum attached to your application.

• hhhakobianhhhakobian Alum Member
    89 karma

So I did not know this and hopefully someone can confirm, but if and ONLY IF you get a refund for canceling a score AND you get to know your score and still cancel? Then yeah dude, cancel. Free practice test and you get to try harder a bit. Idk how much time you got but you seem motivated.
    Respect yourself, your potential and your money. Idc how rich you are 200$ is $ and saving it and getting a chance to score 170+ is a great opportunity I had no idea this was a thing.

Here's another thing; don't do the "I'm going to keep this as a backup". In life, commit to your goal. The LSAT is probably a venue into Law school which should be a commitment. So the LSAT is your priority right now and you should make sure you do your utmost. If you are planning to get a better score don't think "what if I don't". Think instead, ok good I know I CAN get 166 or whatever, but now I'm gonna get 170 or whatever your new score is. Each additional point you get is worth it, and time and money are your two most valuable assets in this life. Just my perspective.

58 karma

Thank you everyone for your input, I'll definitely consider this in the next few days. @hhhakobian Your mindset and mine are totally aligned and I both respect and thank your words of motivation. This LSAT was a bit different because it was transitioning to the digital, allowing for cancellation post seeing score and free retake if you do decide to cancel--it will probably never happen again in LSAT history!

• yoyowmjyoyowmj Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Hey I'd like to say I'm in very similar shoes as you are!
    I took July test in NYC and scored 165, planning to retake the test in Sept and feel like I could do better this time.
    I plan to keep my score, because most AD officer said they only take into consideration the highest score, as long as you are not taking the test too many times, a 165+ won't really hurt you, it might even looks better than a "cancelled score".

it's simply safer to keep a "not bad" score. Plus there's financial incentive(one more “free” test) if you already signed up for Sept one.