Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I studied all summer and only improved by one point

DjmasterdougDjmasterdoug Alum Member
edited August 2019 in General 30 karma

Hey guys and gals, I studied all summer for the Sept LSAT and my first two PTs afterwards I've only improved by 1 point. I'm feeling really discouraged and would like some advice on how to proceed. Thinking about waiting out this year and seeing if I can do better with more studying time under my belt.

Edit: Thanks for the advice, friends. It's so easy to throw up your hands and give up, but the only thing to do is keep working at it and until I understand the material.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

2 PTs are not enough to gauge how much more you understand this test after studying (and presumably completing the CC)

The CC is phase 1. You learn about what the different question types are asking of you, and techniques for diagramming LG. When you start taking more PTs, you will be exposed to far more questions than you have seen in the CC. Taking the PT isn't going to help you get better at the test, but the review work you put in before checking the score will help you improve.

If I were you I would make sure to foolproof LG (there are several fantastic guides on these forums) and drill LR and RC sections. Don't score the games or sections before reviewing them thoroughly untimed.

Do that for a couple of weeks, then take a PT. Review the PT before scoring it, then take a day to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses. Return to the CC periodically to address those weaknesses.

As you get further along in your prep, you will begin to take up to 2 PTs per week with thorough review. At this stage, if you are Blind Reviewing at a much higher score range than your timed score range you just need to address those timing issues and then you're set!

It takes a long time for many students, and it certainly took me longer than a single summer. I delayed a cycle and that was by far the best decision I could have made for myself. If you aren't ready to take the September test, don't take it. The upside to delaying is you have that much more time to learn the LSAT. Best of luck!

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

I studied a year and a half. Trust yourself an know you know how you learn. Make sure you understand Rome wasn't built in one day!

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

You did not study enough. I dont mean that in a mean way btw!

After my first 2 PTs, I scored 152 consistently. I was SO discouraged by my initial score. I even made a post about it! I went back to the CC, and have been drilling LR, and substantially improved in that domain (but my RC went way down from lac of practice.... ok im getting derailed).

I took the July LSAT and scored 154

I took a PT yesterday, and scored 155

I am taking another PT today (crossing my fingers lol)

Unless you have done every single PT, possibly twice, I do not think you studied enough. The entire summer is NOT enough. I too, spent the entire summer in the library studying. I studied on vacation. I am going to study the entire month of september, october, and november with the hopes of being ready by then. Taking the LSAT is a skill, and that takes time to develop. This is not a standard university course, or even two courses.

You need to do more than you are currently doing. This applies to everyone. I mean this to say: do NOT get discouraged. This really takes TIME, a lot of time, more than a sumer, more than two seasons. Keep at it. Do NOT let this get you down.

Also, maybe take a sheet of paper, hang it on your wall, and write down positive affirmations as well as all the great things youll do after you get into law school! Be confident.

KEEP GOING, YOU CAN DO IT!

• DjmasterdougDjmasterdoug Alum Member
    30 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    When you start taking more PTs, you will be exposed to far more questions than you have seen in the CC. Taking the PT isn't going to help you get better at the test, but the review work you put in before checking the score will help you improve.

If I were you I would make sure to foolproof LG (there are several fantastic guides on these forums) and drill LR and RC sections. Don't score the games or sections before reviewing them thoroughly untimed.

So do you mean just systematically going through the CC again and just skip all the explanations and focus on the problems JY gives us for LR, LG, and RC?

Thanks for the great advice, it's so easy to get frustrated but I'll pull out this cycle and continue grinding.

2227 karma

@Djmasterdoug said:
    So do you mean just systematically going through the CC again and just skip all the explanations and focus on the problems JY gives us for LR, LG, and RC?

Thanks for the great advice, it's so easy to get frustrated but I'll pull out this cycle and continue grinding.

No I was talking about taking new PTs and doing drills. Drills are usually made up of sections from older tests. Return to the CC for question types you are not confident about and be active when watching the explanations. You have to pause the videos and try questions yourself, then compare your reasoning to J.Y.’s.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Blind review like your life depends on it. Review that lesson on how to properly blind review.

2227 karma

@tams2018 said:
    Blind review like your life depends on it. Review that lesson on how to properly blind review.

This.

Listen to the @"Accounts Playable" episode from the 7Sage podcast to get a good idea of the depth you should try to get to during BR.

• 92 karma

Hi! I am taking the October exam and just had the same issue after taking a PT yesterday. I am still at the score I was at a month ago, despite studying full-time and as effectively as I can. Reading this makes me a little happy that I am not the only one, and also more encouraged! All we can do is keep going and not give up. Good things (and scholarships ;) ) take time!!

@drbrown2 said:

@tams2018 said:

This.

Listen to the @"Accounts Playable" episode from the 7Sage podcast to get a good idea of the depth you should try to get to during BR.

I just listened to the podcast and you are right, it was super helpful! Thank you.

• dennis.ashleydennis.ashley Alum Member
    12 karma

Same, but i'm probably just going to blind review harder, theres always more to learn.

• LawSchoolHopeful-6LawSchoolHopeful-6 Alum Member
    143 karma

What do you mean by full proof the logic games?

30 karma

@"LawSchoolHopeful-6" said:
    What do you mean by full proof the logic games?

fool proofing logic games means doing the logic games 10-20 times until you have memorized every inference and can do the game with no mistakes and a minute under time

30 karma

@october_testtaker said:
    Hi! I am taking the October exam and just had the same issue after taking a PT yesterday. I am still at the score I was at a month ago, despite studying full-time and as effectively as I can. Reading this makes me a little happy that I am not the only one, and also more encouraged! All we can do is keep going and not give up. Good things (and scholarships ;) ) take time!!

I've seen other posts about people changing their scores by 20 points and it definitely takes longer than just three months. I could get a good score if I took the September test, but not the score that truly reflects who I am as a student. It may take me longer than most, but goddamnit if I'm not gonna get a 170 eventually.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@Djmasterdoug Hey Doug I second what @drbrown2 said as this is the method that I used. Don't be discouraged, I took my first lsat and got a 147 then took the next one got a 148 then my third one I got a 156 then got a 163. That big jump that happened when I started just taking tests and blind reviewing. I also started taking a lot of Preptests in the 30's range. Taking more Preptests from various years and ranges exposes you to the different types of ways that LSAT writers can manipulate and frame questions. Almost every single question on this test follows the same patterns and when you take a lot you start recognizing them and figuring out exactly what answers and wrong and which are right.

My suggestion would be to stop doing the CC if you've already finished it and just start taking Preptests and blind reviewing them thoroughly. Don't be tempted to check the answer to the questions that you picked and are iffy on, just flag them and come back to them during blind review and spend as much time as you can figuring out which one correct. One thing that really helped me out was doing untimed sections also.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

@october_testtaker Where do I find the podcast? Thanks

• 92 karma

@ilovethelsat said:
    @october_testtaker Where do I find the podcast? Thanks

Hi, i just googled "Accounts Playable 7sage podcast" and it showed up as a soundcloud link!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Also, LSAT Unplugged has interviews with students and is on YouTube or podcast feed sites.