Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp

casmithcasmith Alum Member

How do you do your low resolution summaries on the digital tests? Do you just make note of them on a scrap piece of paper?

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I found using the scrap paper to be a waste of time. I'd experiment with it and see how it feels! In general, I think you should be able to retain the low res summary without writing it down. But I know some people still jot down a couple words so see what works best for you! I also highly recommend experimenting with highlighting. I was spending way too much time highlighting before I established my own system with the colors.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited August 2019 2689 karma

Memory. I tried writing key words ("hypothesis") or underlining.. making boxes and triangles, etc. And it helped, but not enough. It just wasn't me. And you can't do it on digital anyway.Instead, I read it and would summarize in my head. What is this about? Who are the key players? How does it all relate to one another? Once I started reading the passages and summarizing them in my head in a way I could explain to my child, in my own words and in ways I understood, things clicked for me. Like, if you saw a complicated movie, how would you describe it to your friend? How do you remember the plot points and who did what? What type of shotgun did John Wick pick up in the second movie? Maybe you don't remember the name, but you would know where to find it in the movie, right? For those questions about very specific details, I didn't have to retain every detail and remember it, but if I could go "Oh yeah.. I read about temperatures right there in the second paragraph.." and easily find it in the text, I was able to answer questions about specific details quickly. Same thing
    as remembering where it is in a movie or novel.
    If a system is not working for you, or not well enough, try another until it works for you. It is ultimately the same thing JY is teaching -- reading for structure and summarizing -- but do it in a way that makes the best sense for you, and you will remember it better.