Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT takers—be staunch

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
in Sage Advice 7262 karma

Before I took the LSAT, I repeated a little mantra to myself: “I will not get distracted. I don’t care if the person next to me hacks up a lung. I don’t care if someone’s using a jackhammer right outside the building. I don’t care if the power in the test center goes out and I have to bubble in the dark. Nothing can faze me.”

I think it helped. People study for this test for so long that they sometimes act like perfectionists about something they can’t control: the world. I know you want to take the test in ideal conditions, but you won’t. You’ll have a crappy proctor, or a distracting neighbor, or a flickering light, or a really itchy foot. Something will go at least slightly wrong. Accept that in advance and promise yourself to do your best anyway. Go in with the attitude of a Spartan. It doesn’t matter what the world throws at you. You’re going to calmly, methodically, do your job.

Comments

• ilikepie65ilikepie65 Alum Member
    2 karma

thanks!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Thanks for this! I will remember this tomorrow.

• Thank you JYThank you JY Alum Member
    328 karma

foldedhandsemoji

Godspeed to everyone taking the exam tomorrow.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely going to remember this tomorrow morning. Thank you, Dave!

• salonpapassalonpapas Member
    138 karma

thank you!

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    edited March 2019 446 karma

Hey David,
    I can’t emphsize enough how much your post has helped me today. I canceled three times before, all because something went wrong. The first and third time I couldn’t fall asleep the night before, the second time I overexausted myself (in an attempt to fall asleep nicely) and felt too tired on the test day. This time, guess what, I couldn’t fall asleep the night before, either, plus I got sick and there were family emergency that forced me to take multiple days off from studying right before the test. But this time I did sit through the whole test and did my best regardless. I’m going to accept my score for the first time! Your post gave me the courage to do so. I can’t thank you and the entire 7sage community enough!
    @"David.Busis"

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

So glad to hear! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you @KarateMaster

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

Bump

• AhkneekeyAhkneekey Member
    66 karma

Needed this, even just for daily study!!

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    115 karma

great advice!