Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume: hours per week

parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
in General 162 karma
  1. Is it okay to have ranges for some activities/jobs and not for others? I know consistent formatting is important but some of my positions were more variable in terms of time commitment week to week.

2. For my current full time job (big law firm), should I just average out my hours? I’ve had as little as 35/week to 90+/week.

2a. Relatedly, I have 2 sub-entries for that job entry because I switched departments (litigation to an entirely different non-litigation group). Should I put a separate hours/week or just put one for that employer?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance! Also, if anyone wants to swap resumes, please reach out :-)

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think it's fine to have ranges. For my full time job(s), I just put 40 hours a week, even though sometimes I might work a little less or more. If your hours are pretty consistent, just put the average estimation. If there is a significant range, go ahead and indicate that. I think they'll understand that some jobs are the same hours every week more or less and some have more variation. For one of my part time jobs, I put 2-10 hours a week.

If your hours/week were the same in both of these positions, I think it's good to just list it once.

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

Hi

I would be happy to swap with you

Personally, I am putting my hours/week for selective roles only (like tutoring, teaching, tax season @ a financial advisory firm, where I worked 70/75 hours/week - my salary was actually adjusted for minimum wage haha). I am currently in audit, and the hours are similar to a law firm, and schools know that we are working full-time and lots of overtime.

So, for my audit role, I do not put the hours I do per week since it is also very variable and depends on my client. But the schools know we are employed full-time with demanding careers.

Hope this helps!

• parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks @MissChanandler and @Lolo1996 for the helpful responses! @Lolo1996 let’s swap at some point, I’ll pm you