Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which part of LSAT should I start from?

1. I'm a beginner and plan on taking the test in nov and June if things don't go well in nov. My question is which part of LSAT should I start? I've purchased the three powerscore bible.
  2. Should I join lsat prep classes now or after some self-studying? In your opinion which one did you do and which one did you wish you did?

Comments

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

There's more tests this year so you may wish to consider test dates in winter or spring. The Starter course on here has been transformational for many students and it's affordable and goes at your own pace. If you feel videos are helpful, then it's a great thing to consider and you can sign up for a free trial and/or free account at no risk.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

If you have until June (I'm assuming you're not applying until Fall 2020 / entering school Fall 2021) my opinion is don't bother with the November LSAT. You can take it in January and March, and have several months of studying under your belt. Depending how far off your diagnostic is from your target (have you taken a diagnostic?), November may be a bit of a reach. I think most folks take more than 3 months to get to their goal. (Also, no use putting a 7-month gap between your first an second takes).

If I could start again and had some spending money, I would get the Ultimate package on 7Sage. The Starter is great, but I'm cobbling together additional PTs from Khan Academy, hand-me-down LSAC books, a handful of a la carte PTs on here, and even a free 7-day trial of The LSAT Demon. If I could have all of my materials in one place, it'd be so helpful.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@lsatprep_tcan I suggest you start with a book called "Problem Solving and Comprehension" by Arthur Whimbey. I feel this book is often overlooked and I believe it should be essential for LSAT takers especially someone who is just starting study.

• ChardiggityChardiggity Alum Member
    edited September 2019 336 karma

I second not bothering with November, if you can postpone. Studying until you're PTing just over your desired score and then signing up for an official take is ideal, if you have the flexibility.

My suggestions:
    Work through the LG & LR Powerscore Bibles, then practice taking tests with the older official preptests, and using Powerscore's free explanations (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lsat-explanations.cfm). This will help you get familiar with the whole LSAT shebang.

Then sign up for 7sage (budget permitting) & go through the Core Curriculum, drill sets, preptests, etc. I found that having a base level of LSAT knowledge really helped me get more out of the Core Curriculum here than I would have if it were my first exposure to the material.