Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time management

mes08mes08 Alum Member
in General 578 karma
Hello all,

I work full time and I'm having a hard time making time to study. I leave the house at 8:10am and come back between 6 and 6:30pm every day. I cook, eat dinner, and then study from 8 - 11pm. On the weekends, I study 4-8 hours each day. However, I feel like I'm not getting in enough study time and find myself making very slow progress because I don't study much during the week. I've tried getting up earlier, but it's a huge struggle and when I do manage, I'm half asleep half of the study time. What do you guys do to improve time management/squeeze in more study time during the week? Do you think I should fix my sleep cycle and study early in the morning rather than at night? I'd really appreciate any advice/tips you might have :)

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    try do something during lunch break... maybe cook all your meals on a particular day and leave them in the fridge.... I typically do that (though for workout reasons so that I have 6 odd meals a day... but it saves time)... cook everything on a Sunday and refrigerate it in boxes so that you can heat it up and save time there... and can study from 7 - 7:30 odd to 11... just a suggestion.
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    Nilesh is totally right about pre-cooking meals. That's a big time-saver, plus it's really healthy. That's practiced religiously by athletes who spend 10-20 hrs training weekly. As a business owner and competitive athlete who's also starved for time, I can definitely agree with that. Also, studying whenever you can squeeze it in helps; keeping study materials with you (pre-printed LGs to do during a 10-minute down time) is a good idea. Studying in the morning is probably good too; since 3 of the 4 LSATs during the year are given pretty early in the morning, it's a good idea to condition your brain to function that way regularly. It's rough man, only so many hours and you're always tired. I feel ya!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Nilesh S" @christopherblair how you got through those posts without saying the phrase "meal prep" once blows my mind. Jk jk ... this is not bb.com ...

Here's my schedule; I just shared this with someone else so figured I would post it here to give you some ideas for where you can find time. I currently buy my meals prepared from one of 2 Paleo take away establishments and have not deviated from my diet at all (I do strict LCHF/ketogenic Paleo). I spend about $70 a week on food and also eat Paleo protein bars from Julian Bakery (23g pre-biotic fiber and 20g protein with 2net carbs !!! )

An aside: I recommend bulletproof coffee ;) Check out marksdailyapple.com to learn about benefits. I do 2 tbsp raw coconut oil or one tbsp raw coconut oil plus one tbsp local grass-fed/pastured butter with 16oz coffee—either blend or shake in my shaker cup. Good for the mind-body.

M-F: I wake up every day at 6:20AM and do LSATs for 1.5 hours, then get ready and leave for work (my workplace is quite flexible so I don't need to rush in the mornings, but I generally get in just after 9am). I leave between 4:30–5; most days I get home around 5:20 and I go to the gym (which is in my apartment complex) for exactly 30 minutes (I lift weights in a fast circuit/superset and I lift heavy with proper form). Then I do LSATs until 10 or maximum 10:30. I'm in bed before 11:30pm. I also have Bible study from 7-9 on Thursdays so I tend to plan for those days to be light on work or heavy in morning work.

On Saturdays I do LSATs for about 2 hours and then a PT at 12:30pm. I either blind review that exam in time for blind review study group (7sagers) at 6pm, or I take 2 PT's back to back. Study group lasts for 4-5 hours. So Saturday is about 12-14 hours LSAT. Sunday I have church 9.30–11 and typically do LSATs from about 12pm to about 5pm and then I go to small group on Sunday nights.

All in all it's at least 40 hours of work a week on LSATs plus gym, 40 hours of work, commute, and church activities.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3462 karma
    What about going over your notes when you're at work such as during your lunch break?
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I have a similar schedule. I get up about 7:00 to get to work about 8:30 and then get home about 6-6:30 PM. Meal prep will probably help a lot. I wish I could do it more. I do a lot of my studying during downtime at work and during lunch or breaks. I preprint a lot of problem sets to do and that is helping my course go faster. And try to do at least about 6 hours on weekend days. I'm going slow too. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, I think whatever works for you will work.
  • bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    Try to wake up early and study first thing in the morning like @nicole.hopkins

J.Y. wrote about it here:
    http://7sage.com/lesson/the-three-worst-lsat-mistakes/

The point I would like to add is that waking up early in the morning actually means going to sleep early at night. It doesn't mean go to bed at 1am and force yourself to wake up at 5am... that doesn't work and I'm speaking from personal experience.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @bobalicious I can absolutely vouch for what you are saying about going to sleep early. I have always been a night owl so waking up early has been the hardest part about studying!
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @nicole.hopkins hardcore!!! Slow clap... #respect !!! I guess I'll spill the beans on my schedule as well. I spend an a little over hour at from 7:30 - 8:45 in the morning - on the days that I'm not lifting I'm doing cardio... 30 min treadmill 10 min elliptical and 20 lengths of the university pool... on the days that I lift, (2 days a week) I switch between 4 weeks of 8 x 8 (not recommended that one do that for too long as it is not sustainable) and 8 weeks of a personally tailored deadlift-squat-bench press-lat pull routine (3 sets of 12, 10, 8)... as for food... salad, brown rice with spinach and chicken, nuts fruit and grilled chicken form my staple - MINIMAL prep of any kind involved. And water... lots and lots of water... hydration is good not just for the body but for the mind!! 9 to 3 is generally when my classes are or alternatively when I do my work & Study for my PhD program on the days when I do not have class. My LSAT study was generally from 7 - 11 except for Wednesdays when it was from 8 - 11:30 as I had office hours for my students from 5 - 7:30. Fridays were off... Saturday was spent testing in the morning and reviewing in the evening (9:30 - 11:30) with PhD work in the interim and Sunday mornings were games ( 5 hours). Oh and thanks for the bulletproof coffee idea... I'll give it a try.
    3438 karma
    @christopherblair which sport? I used to swim competitively when I was younger but a back injury put an end to that :/ !!!
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I'll def prep my meals in advance and hopefully I can shave off a chunk of time cooking. I'll also do LGs during my lunch break. I feel like if I'm really time efficient I should be able to squeeze in another hour or two a day.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    7965 karma
    @"Nilesh S" 8x8 is tough—reminds me of FST-7 except extra insane (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-muscle-building-trainer-day-22.html). I follow Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size—tried Kris' new program but it was too complicated alongside LSATs.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Is it just me or does anyone else check the 7Sage Discussion Forums significantly more than any other social media application?
    3545 karma
    After checking my email, it's the thing I check most frequently. What can I say, the people are just great!! And who else can I talk about the LSAT with ad nauseum AND expect to get positive/helpful responses instead of eye rolls and groans?
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 yes, yes, all the yes ...

@"Dillon A. Wright" Maybe we should have a chat room so the lurkers (...myself...) can make contact with human beings? OR perhaps something more akin to Facebook messenger.
    587 karma
    @blah170blah Exactly! Facebook? Who needs Facebook. You all understand my life. You all are living my life.
    @nicole.hopkins YES! I was just thinking the same thing. What if 7Sage became the only thing we needed in our LSAT spare time. It would be a beautiful world where I might, just might, spend a little less time with my cats and a little more time interacting with the 'human beings' you mention.
    edited April 2015 3438 karma
    lol @nicole.hopkins awesome idea... lol @blah170blah and @VegMeg55 I was actually thinking of a Facebook alumni group for people who are done with the course. 7sage is a bonding experience which I for one will definitely carry on for life (and I can confidently say there are others who probably feel like this) and there is no reason the camaraderie here can't carry on into friendship. I would love a social group where we could all hang out as well!!!
    3545 karma
    @VegMeg55 "where I might, just might, spend a little less time with my cats and a little more time interacting with the 'human beings' you mention" -- um, hi, are we the same person? LOL
    587 karma
    @"Nilesh S" Yes. This needs to happen. Couldn't agree more. @blah170blah Haha We probably are!!! I was afraid that comment was going to make me look a wee bit pathetic but hey, what happens on 7Sage stays on 7Sage. I'm Megan. I have three cats. The LSAT is my life. My cats are my life. And uh... The end. We should start a discussion thread entitled the 'Cats of 7Sage'. 7Sagers would be encouraged to describe their cats, preferably with photos included. Should this ever come to fruition, I will actually shed a physical tear of happiness.
    3545 karma
    Omgogmomgomg I would love that! I have 2 cats who are the dolls of my life :) IT COULD BE A NEW INSTAGRAM HASHTAG
    587 karma
    Yes, ladies and gentlemen. History is being made today. Cats of 7Sage.
    3462 karma
    @"Nilesh S" should go ahead and make that FB group! Don't forget to add your buddy Roy...NVM LOL
    @emli1000 lol tight spot there... common friends :) but yes the FB group is something I've been thinking about a lot @"Dillon A. Wright" should I go ahead and create a 7sage friends & alumni group?
    12637 karma
    @"Nilesh S" Yeah, go for it. I'll PM you my Facebook so you can add me as a group admin. :)
    12637 karma
    @VegMeg55 Make the thread!! I'll post pictures of my fat cat. :o
    7965 karma
    Do it!!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    lol, this is awesome
    Yes!!! We now officially have a "7Sage: Alumni & Friends" Facebook group!
    3545 karma
    OOOOH! How do we get invited to this?
    3438 karma
    Sent you the link via PM @blah170blah
    edited April 2015 3462 karma
    Don't forget it was my suggestion when the group becomes a big thing LOL :)
    587 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" Ok, this is embarrassing, but when I tried making the cat thread I couldn't figure out how to er... post pictures. Could you teach me your ways oh learned one? P.S. Thank goodness the LSAT is not on a computer. I'd actually be the first and only person to ever accidentally delete the exam.
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 you can use basic HTML. For an image, try this:

lessthan img src="http://www.mysite.com/image.jpg" greaterthan

replace "lessthan" with "<" (no quotes) and replace "greaterthan" with ">" (no quotes)
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 take a look at the top example here: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp [no need to include height/width etc, just img src=""
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Ohhhh ok, I'll get around to making the thread once I coerce myself to do more Flaw Problem Sets. Thanks!
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    @Nilesh S Please could you send me the link too? Thanks!