Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start of my Journey (with some questions)! 168+ goal.

edited September 2019 in Law School Admissions 32 karma

I'm starting my LSAT journey in a week after I finish the CPA. I originally had plans to take it 2 years ago, but I finished a masters and got my CPA instead. I have 3.5 months until I start full-time work, and I am planning on studying 40-60 hrs a week; I will be likely working 60-70 hrs a week, so I am going to try my best to crack out the LSAT in the 3.5 months, if that is even possible. Is this a realistic goal? If not, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get a 168+. For reference, I took the 2007 LSAT 2 years ago as a diagnostic and scored a 151 and 160 with the BR method. Does anyone have any tips regarding this process; I am aiming for 168+, and I will do whatever it takes.

Also, with the new digital LSAT, is there anything I should purchase/do to mimic the exam as best as possible.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2227 karma

I would check out the 7sage podcast episodes with high scorers because they talk about their study routines and what worked/didn’t work. Your estimate of hours available to study per week is probably unrealistic because you won’t be effectively studying after around the 4 hour mark. Besides, quality over quantity. 3.5 months is certainly possible for some people, but many need more than that to reach their potential. Just do your best to absorb the material and don’t rush yourself. Focus on quality BR and drill LG into oblivion. Reassess as you move along with your prep and adjust to what needs to be adjusted to.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

The above comment is really thorough. I just want to add that you certainly might ramp up your score in that period of time, but do not become discouraged if you do not because many people cannot raise their score that quickly no matter what they try. Obviously it would be great it you did, but you are not bad by any means if you cannot.

• @drbrown2 said:
    I would check out the 7sage podcast episodes with high scorers because they talk about their study routines and what worked/didn’t work. Your estimate of hours available to study per week is probably unrealistic because you won’t be effectively studying after around the 4 hour mark. Besides, quality over quantity. 3.5 months is certainly possible for some people, but many need more than that to reach their potential. Just do your best to absorb the material and don’t rush yourself. Focus on quality BR and drill LG into oblivion. Reassess as you move along with your prep and adjust to what needs to be adjusted to.

Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. I agree that I should go slow and try to absorb as much as possible, instead of racing to finish the CC and preptests.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@Taxlaw127 said:

@drbrown2 said:

Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. I agree that I should go slow and try to absorb as much as possible, instead of racing to finish the CC and preptests.

When do you plan on matriculating at a law school? If you are going to work for a year you should target one of the summer tests next year so you are ready to apply in September/October. If that’s the case you can study until your job starts and then do 1 PT per week plus review, drills, and LG while you’re working.

Again, some people are able to make big gains in 3 months. However, if you prepped for 3.5 months you would be looking at the January test which is a little late for this cycle. Plus, if you need a retake you are pushed into next cycle anyways. Best of luck to you!

• J.DizzleJ.Dizzle Member
    85 karma

Are you joining a Big 4/Public Accounting Firm? I took a similar path to you but have recently left Big 4 to study for the LSAT after 3 years and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.