Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CAMPAIGN WORK?

how good exactly does presidential campaign work look to law school admissions? Is it worth postponing law school? Does it look good enough to offset a bad LSAT score?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I’ve read and have experienced that law school admissions is almost always (but obviously not always: there are exceptions) a numbers driven process. Meaning that the single most effective thing that we as applicants can do is work on GPA and LSAT. Obviously there are exceptions to this also: some schools take the GRE, some international applicants don’t have a gpa number but rather a different scale etc but for the most part, numbers will be the differentiating factor between admissions and not.

With that being said some people do indeed out-perform their numbers. @"David.Busis" can speak with greater authority here. As to the core question of "how good exactly" does campaign work look, I don't think anyone has a really solid answer as in: it makes your LSAT look 5 points higher ect. With that being said, I'm not aware of campaign work or other softs making up for a significant gap in one's numbers in a statically significant way, there was a post a few months ago (from memory) of someone getting into Yale with a 156, this year there appears to be a 155 Yale admit, but this is essentially a statistical anomaly. In summation, depending on how far you are away from the school's medians, I believe the common wisdom is that even major political campaign work will not significantly increase the chances of admission.

• SF City DuSF City Du Alum Member
    84 karma

Completely depends upon what your job was with the campaign was, and who the candidate is.

Should go without saying, but a traveling press secretary for Elizabeth Warren will look a lot better than a social media intern for Tom Steyer.