Realistic test date + goal score?

lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
in General 3190 karma

Ive been studying since June, on and off. I would say Ive studied for about three of those months.
Went from 156 post CC diagnostic. Recently scored 164 on PT 57. BRing about 170-172. Is a goal score of 168-170 unrealistic? Im thinking March LSAT but not too set, I just want to be able to apply in the Fall 2020 cycle.

My study schedule is usually Monday PT Tuesday BR 2 sections plus maybe do an old LR or RC section and FP some games
Wednesday same as Tuesday. Thursday get my score watch the video explanations for all the questions I missed or the hard ones.

Friday+Saturday work on weaknesses from older PTs.
Sunday Rest or do a section. I also try to do games everyday somehow, even if it is just one or two.
What do you all think? Is March realistic?

Comments

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

As somebody who topped out at 165 on the real thing with a BR range in the mid 170s in a situation similar to you, here is what I found at this stage. I do not want to discourage you, but this elevation in score from mid 160s to that 170 is harder than the progress that has come up until this point because there is literally a smaller margin for error. It is likely you have already picked the low hanging fruit, and the solution now is not as much a strategy as it is being a literal master of LSAT material.

That being said, your plan is not unrealistic at all. I would recommend investing in some top notch private tutoring specifically for the section you are either scoring worst in or most inconsistently in. To maximize odds of success, you don't want to just rely on having a good day on your bad section (my score would fluctuate wildly based on my RC performance) Once your section scores appear consistent, you just hammer away at your focus areas to get those extra 2-3 questions right per section

TL:DR, it will be hard, but it can be done. Make sure your PT section scores are consistent. When they are, put all your intensity into fixing problem areas.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@EagerestBeaver said:
    As somebody who topped out at 165 on the real thing with a BR range in the mid 170s in a situation similar to you, here is what I found at this stage. I do not want to discourage you, but this elevation in score from mid 160s to that 170 is harder than the progress that has come up until this point because there is literally a smaller margin for error. It is likely you have already picked the low hanging fruit, and the solution now is not as much a strategy as it is being a literal master of LSAT material.

That being said, your plan is not unrealistic at all. I would recommend investing in some top notch private tutoring specifically for the section you are either scoring worst in or most inconsistently in. To maximize odds of success, you don't want to just rely on having a good day on your bad section (my score would fluctuate wildly based on my RC performance) Once your section scores appear consistent, you just hammer away at your focus areas to get those extra 2-3 questions right per section

TL:DR, it will be hard, but it can be done. Make sure your PT section scores are consistent. When they are, put all your intensity into fixing problem areas.

Can I ask how long youve been studying before you scored 165 on the real thing?

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    edited October 2019 703 karma

8 months. Made biggest jump into the 160s after about 4ish months. Made final jump to consistent 165-166 after 7ish months. Take that with the proper grains of salt because progress is neither linear nor equal for different people. LG I eventually just kind of figured out. LR took at least 15 PTs of deliberate practice, BR, instruction, rethinking, and relearning to get to where it needed to be. I never really got RC. That is why I stress even one hour of tutoring. It really makes a difference for pro to tell you what you are and are not doing sustainably to make sure you can duplicate your score repeatedly.