Back by Popular Demand: The Old-Timer's Thread (30+ only, valid form of ID required)

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited October 2016 1171 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I feel Stanford does the same. I'm fairly certain I read that on their website.

Do any old folks have some advice on a random résumé question (thanks @David.Busis for encouraging us to have that word correctly written)? I am 11 years removed from college. I won the same award as a high school senior and five years later as a college senior (it was a regional student-athlete award). It seems like a lot of the advice I have seen says to stay away from high school awards and accomplishments. Would I include the second time winning the award but not the first? Include both? Eliminate both?
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I have this bookmarked not only for support - but for @"Nilesh S" advice last year for 0L prep to keep as a guideline for next summer if it still holds true during the next cycle:)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Its been my experience so far that fewer skills require the parents many have upper age limits. Columbia however does not :(, not matter what age it gets reported
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" we can be cool and join this thread in 6 years! lol
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I dunno
    LOVE THIS!!

Please next time add that you "ain't a knowing because you already done done that" which is absolutely one of my favorite southern phrases:)
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    Would I include the second time winning the award but not the first?
    Since it was the same award, I would just include it as second time.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited October 2016 1171 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Since it was the same award, I would just include it as second time.
    Are you saying you would only include the second time, or that you would include that I was awarded it a second time?
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    I was awarded it a second time
    This one! Only because it's the same award technically lol, so you aren't going out of your way to mention solely high school awards
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    6 more years! Hopefully by then I'll be done with the LSAT haha ;)
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    @desire2learn leave off the high school award; keep only the college award. The earlier version of the same award wouldn't add anyway.
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn I'd take david's advice over mine :P
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 27821 karma
    @montaha.rizeq and @"Alex Divine" , we don't like your type around here. These are the types we like:
    http://previews.123rf.com/images/moodboard/moodboard0908/moodboard090800265/5404526-Group-of-Friends-Laughing-Stock-Photo-group-people.jpg
    Edit: Picture updated to be way less uncomfortable. If anyone else caught that, my bad, lol.
    11542 karma
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Now I am kicking you out... ID required out youngin... respect your elders...
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Now I am kicking you out
    You'll miss me when I'm gone!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited October 2016 5120 karma
    Removed due to irrelevancy
  • d3wittd3witt Alum Member
    25 karma

I tried to start a thread and was pointed to this one. I only have a few days access left in this invaluable 7sage world, and thought it'd be good to reach out to the other ancient (35+ year old) folks who are likewise chasing their law school dream later in life. For me, I see it as a productive use of a mid-life crisis (sports cars depreciate much faster than JD degrees), and something I've always wanted to do. Whilst doing the school tours and tests I'm surrounded by babies/young whippersnappers, but I'm hoping once I settle into a part-time/weekend program the average age will increase a bit. Learning the test seemed a bit intuitive after having spent a decade or so working with lawyers and picking up how they think, but study time was always sandwiched between career, family and civic duties. 7sage was the perfect fit, and I watched my average score jump about 15 points from beginning to end of the course. I've talked a few friends into considering law school as well, and will be singing the praises of this site for years.

I'm a state government drone in what some may call a "JD advantage" occupation, tenured and bored out of my mind. Happily married with 5 kids (ages 10-18), local community theater director, and downtown revitalization advocate/activist. The ABA's approval of hybrid/weekend law schools renewed my interest. Did my Masters in Urban Planning with 4 kids, so what the heck, why not law school?

So what about you? What inspired the return to school? Challenges? Favorite schools?

• mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma

Hi Folks,

It's been a while and I missed the 7sage community.

I am finishing up my 2L and so far it's been an incredible ride and I have loved every minute of it. I think if you still want to go to law school at this age (I was 35+ when I started), it IS something you are meant to do and you will not regret it!

I have made friends at school and in general law school is very supportive -- but you have to reach out. (If possible, I suggest you pay a school visit before deciding which school you want to attend. ) The best part about being older is that I have a different perspective and I don't get stressed out like those younger kids, which has made law school much more enjoyable.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@mimimimi Hi there, and welcome back!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm 34 and just went through the application gauntlet, but decided to push back a year and reapply. It's really encouraging to hear from you!

That's one of my concerns going into school, the social/community aspect. I don't know if I'll be the sole old woman that the whippersnappers think is boring haha. Good to hear that it's been a positive experience for you though!

What did you do for your 1L summer? Have you seen any differences in how employers view you vs the youngsters? Any challenges there? What are your goals/plans for post-school?

I could probably pick your brain forever haha. I'll leave it at that. :) Thanks for stopping in!

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

I'm 29, but I still consider myself "non-traditional," so I'm joining. I have a MA in Speech-Language Pathology and have been a practicing SLP for 3 yrs. I want to focus on educational law b/c I've felt powerless as an SLP seeing my kids either get super supported or super screwed in the schools. Thanks for digging this thread back out! It's nice to have some camaraderie w/ people studying while also adulting...

• mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 368 karma

Hi Leah,

My school has more 30+-year-old students than I expected (on their website I think the average age is 24?). We have a huge LLM program and the LLM students are usually more experienced and older -- after 1L, classes usually have mixed JDs and LLMs. If you commute to school, you probably will miss many school events, which are good opportunities to network. Living on campus will help you make more friends and stay connected. Sign up to join the student organizations at the beginning of the school year, you will get help and outlines from 2Ls and 3Ls.

My interest is in public service and I have been able to connect to people and projects that I find really interesting. In public service, I think people care more about your passion and interest. Work experiences are generally helpful in big law job interviews (especially if they are law-related) but most employers still care most about 1L grades. As older folks, you only need to come up with good stories about why law? why law as your second career? The rest of the questions you get are pretty standard. Don't worry! Your school's career office will help you and they are very good!

I want to apply for clerkship after graduation. After that, I have no plans yet and I want to keep my options open.

Keep your mind open (I used to be very age-conscious but I am learning to do less of that), reach out and talk to people whom you find interesting, and never hesitate to ask for help!

@"Leah M B" said:
    @mimimimi Hi there, and welcome back!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm 34 and just went through the application gauntlet, but decided to push back a year and reapply. It's really encouraging to hear from you!

That's one of my concerns going into school, the social/community aspect. I don't know if I'll be the sole old woman that the whippersnappers think is boring haha. Good to hear that it's been a positive experience for you though!

What did you do for your 1L summer? Have you seen any differences in how employers view you vs the youngsters? Any challenges there? What are your goals/plans for post-school?

I could probably pick your brain forever haha. I'll leave it at that. :) Thanks for stopping in!

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

Thanks @mimimimi for the inspiring and encouraging post! Happy to hear that the perspective that comes with age helps with the stress (as I have plenty of age to go around :smile: And I appreciate your encouragement to join student organizations and get involved. Best of luck!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Love the thread, have read the previous posts, and am following it hoping to gain further insight.

Hate the fact that apparently a lot of people think that 30+ means you are an old timer :neutral:

Its been a while since I was able to say I'm in my 30's...

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Thank you at @mimimimi for the insight. i hope to have a good experience like you in law school!

@LSAT_Wrecker - I've learned to let go of my age, specially since I started studying for the lsat - i'm comfortable in that my age is "just a number" and if i'm considered an "old timer" well then so be it - I'll find a way to use it to my advantage :smile: .

• msirchiamsirchia Member
    50 karma

Hi guys!

Very reassuring to see a thread like this! I am currently 33 and will be 34 by the time i enter law school

I will be applying coming fall for admission in 2019. I am NY based so hopefully going to get into one of the part time programs here.

Any advice for the admissions process?

I have a solid career under my belt and hope to stay within my industry for law but do not know if they still will evaluate my admissions as if I am 22 years old.

Trying to get the highest score possible on the LSAT but its proving difficult with work and a kid to really dig in lately. Will my work experience help make up for certain aspects?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I will be 37 or 38 in 1L (depending on how this goes), so... Yeah.

• smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
    512 karma

Ha @AudaciousRed, add 10 more to your age, so...yeah. :smiley:

8392 karma

Felt like this thread needed resurrecting as we're coming up on the new cycle. Where all my old folks at? Check in here!

8392 karma

Also, who is applying this year from the over 30 crowd? @LCMama2017? @LSAT_Wrecker? @AudaciousRed?

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Checking in :blush:

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Leah M B"

Also, who is applying this year from the over 30 crowd?

(raises hand)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

29 years old. 30 this october. Applying this fall.

edited September 2018 4850 karma

In it to win it this cycle. Testing on Saturday, hoping to hit submit on all apps by the end of the month.

It is very interesting coming at this later in life. I volunteer at a clinic and my oldest is older than some of the law students there. Not saying mature is better than youth or vice versa, its just an interesting perspective.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Will be 31 this December, applying this cycle.

8392 karma

Oh @"David.Busis", just a note because there always is a significant number of us old folks on 7sage, the Admissions course is awesome and I love it, but I often wondered how being an older, non-traditional student factored in to some of the lessons. Like, some people say that if you are a 30+ year old student, your PS should answer the "why law, and why now" questions. Do you have an opinion on that?

• gkoskigkoski Alum Member
    106 karma

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I want to apply this fall! Depending on my PT scores, I may take the January 2019 test. I keep pushing law school off year after year, so hoping I can set aside more time to study consistently.

2134 karma

@"Leah M B" heck yeah! This is it for me - must apply for 2019 to take advantage of the GI Bill otherwise I'm done.

2134 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Oh @"David.Busis", just a note because there always is a significant number of us old folks on 7sage, the Admissions course is awesome and I love it, but I often wondered how being an older, non-traditional student factored in to some of the lessons. Like, some people say that if you are a 30+ year old student, your PS should answer the "why law, and why now" questions. Do you have an opinion on that?

Agree!!

8392 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    @"Leah M B" heck yeah! This is it for me - must apply for 2019 to take advantage of the GI Bill otherwise I'm done.

Woo, get it mama!

@gkoski Awesome! Word of advice though, as someone who applied late last year (end of January and into February), depending on where you're applying and how debt averse you are, applying that late had significant set backs for me. If you are waiting until after that January score, you might want to hold off on applying until next year. If you're targeting regional schools though, the calculation might be different. I was looking for T20 and lower T14 last year, and the cycle really did not pan out. I got a few decent offers, but some WLs that I'm pretty sure were mostly because of the timing. Also missed out on applying to some scholarships that require separate applications and were all due in December. Just a heads up!

4850 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@gkoski Awesome! Word of advice though, as someone who applied late last year (end of January and into February), depending on where you're applying and how debt averse you are, applying that late had significant set backs for me. If you are waiting until after that January score, you might want to hold off on applying until next year. If you're targeting regional schools though, the calculation might be different. I was looking for T20 and lower T14 last year, and the cycle really did not pan out. I got a few decent offers, but some WLs that I'm pretty sure were mostly because of the timing. Also missed out on applying to some scholarships that require separate applications and were all due in December. Just a heads up!

Can we engrave this in internet stone and plant it somewhere that everyone can see it, maybe highlight it around February?

• MelindaDeeMelindaDee Alum Member
    22 karma

@mimimimi said:
    Hi Leah,

My school has more 30+-year-old students than I expected (on their website I think the average age is 24?). We have a huge LLM program and the LLM students are usually more experienced and older -- after 1L, classes usually have mixed JDs and LLMs. If you commute to school, you probably will miss many school events, which are good opportunities to network. Living on campus will help you make more friends and stay connected. Sign up to join the student organizations at the beginning of the school year, you will get help and outlines from 2Ls and 3Ls.

My interest is in public service and I have been able to connect to people and projects that I find really interesting. In public service, I think people care more about your passion and interest. Work experiences are generally helpful in big law job interviews (especially if they are law-related) but most employers still care most about 1L grades. As older folks, you only need to come up with good stories about why law? why law as your second career? The rest of the questions you get are pretty standard. Don't worry! Your school's career office will help you and they are very good!

I want to apply for clerkship after graduation. After that, I have no plans yet and I want to keep my options open.

Keep your mind open (I used to be very age-conscious but I am learning to do less of that), reach out and talk to people whom you find interesting, and never hesitate to ask for help!

This is really helpful advice. Thanks!

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

I'll be 30 if I start Aug 2019! Good luck to everyone this cycle!

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

This is great! I'm 40 with an extensive background in medical billing. I currently am employed as an expert witness. Most likely will go into healthcare law. @"Chipster Study", we should talk!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Hi @"Leah M B" ! Sorry for the delay.. been slammed. Never decide to take a law class in an overloaded semester where the sessions are only 7 weeks long.
    Holy. Crap. I thought I had no life before. This is the end of week 3, and my notes are already 35 pages long. LSAT training has sadly gone by the wayside these days, as well as weekend plans away from home and pretty much everything else :(
    So... I'm still planning on retesting in November. It may be a mistake, but I'm going to give it a whirl. If it goes good enough, I'll apply for next year. If not.. I guess I'll be skipping a cycle.
    I have a strong suspicion I'll be skipping a cycle. You can change your LSAT score, but you can't change your GPA, and right now, it's my strong suit. Gotta focus on that. It's certainly not the end of the world if I get another year of work history in, some savings, and more time to put towards LSAT prep. If I do delay, I won't consider doing the LSAT again until at least probably June or July 2019.

edited October 2018 4850 karma

Its been way too long since this thread popped up. I was doing some soul searching today and had a funny thought about age and perspective. I have two serious volunteer gigs, one at a local legal clinic and the other as a mentor in a veteran's treatment court. At the legal clinic, I feel pretty darn old when all the law students are around, as they all appear to be in their mid-late 20's. However, when I'm at my mentor meetings with the veteran's treatment court, I'm the only one who did not serve in Vietnam and feel like a baby. Moral of the story: Age is a relative thing, depending on which room you are sitting in.

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

Hi all, I guess I've found my tribe. I am 43 and am sitting for the November test. I feel a certain amount of additional pressure because of my age and the time ticking away from me. I need to nail this and get my butt back in school.

2134 karma

@1Science1Art said:
    Hi all, I guess I've found my tribe. I am 43 and am sitting for the November test. I feel a certain amount of additional pressure because of my age and the time ticking away from me. I need to nail this and get my butt back in school.

Yes - the pressures we face are crazy. The anxiety I have at having to take this test is overwhelming. November is quickly approaching. Good luck.

2134 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Its been way too long since this thread popped up. I was doing some soul searching today and had a funny thought about age and perspective. I have two serious volunteer gigs, one at a local legal clinic and the other as a mentor in a veteran's treatment court. At the legal clinic, I feel pretty darn old when all the law students are around, as they all appear to be in their mid-late 20's. However, when I'm at my mentor meetings with the veteran's treatment court, I'm the only one who did not serve in Vietnam and feel like a baby. Moral of the story: Age is a relative thing, depending on which room you are sitting in.

Yes - great point! I was at a veterans ceremony recently and felt so fake being there because I was surrounded by WW2 and Vietnam vets! I feel like these guys sacrificed more than I did in OIF.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

Bumping this thread for this new application cycle. Who are the 30+'ers applying this fall, and how's it all going for you?

• aussie_zacaussie_zac Alum Member
    90 karma

Hey! I am a 30+ applying this cycle from Australia. So far the international thing has been waaay more difficult than the age situation. But glad there are some other 'old people' on here :)