Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I submit application now if my score is slightly lower than school's median?

Alice8979Alice8979 Alum Member
in General 20 karma

Hi All, I just took Oct LSAT in Asia (can't discuss, zip my mouth...), nothing disastrous happened although I was slightly nervous. Usually I score between 167-170. I want to apply to Cornell. If I get 165-167, which is below the median I'll should retake LSAT in January. In that case, should I still submit application in November when the score is released or do I risk being rejected out of hand? Advice is much appreciated!

Major: Comp Sci, Chem
GPA: 3.8
Other: work as engineer

Comments

• LSATisthehardestthingLSATisthehardestthing Free Trial Member
    edited October 2019 98 karma

Hi, Asia LSAT test taker here. Nothing disastrous. Also aiming for Cornell or somewhere similar. I'm thinking of submitting application in November and if I get accepted somewhere I can retake in January for scholarship negotiation purposes...I think this is better than waiting out to retake in January because January scores won't come out until Februrary and schools will have already accepted many students so only a few seats left....

• Alice8979Alice8979 Alum Member
    20 karma

@"tim.cho" said:
    Hi, Asia LSAT test taker here. Nothing disastrous. Also aiming for Cornell or somewhere similar. I'm thinking of submitting application in November and if I get accepted somewhere I can retake in January for scholarship negotiation purposes...I think this is better than waiting out to retake in January because January scores won't come out until Februrary and schools will have already accepted many students so only a few seats left....

Thanks for replying! I mean it would work if they at least place me on a waitlist. But I'm kinda worried that they just directly reject people who's below median score. I agree that we should apply to other schools with lower median early and at least have somewhere to go.

• ZlawyeredZlawyered Member
    140 karma

I have the same concern. Scored a 166 while the school I am applying to has a median of 167. Do I wait to apply after retaking the LSAT in November and risk having them already accepted a lot of students, or apply early with the risk of being denied before I submit my November score.

• Alice8979Alice8979 Alum Member
    20 karma

@Zdanlawschool said:
    I have the same concern. Scored a 166 while the school I am applying to has a median of 167. Do I wait to apply after retaking the LSAT in November and risk having them already accepted a lot of students, or apply early with the risk of being denied before I submit my November score.

_< IDK if this is the part we should roll the dice. Is there a place in App to specify we are taking a future LSAT?

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

I think the general consensus is that a better LSAT score gives you more advantage than applying early.
    I’d wait until I know what my score is.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is a very high STEM GPA and that speaks well of your academics. Maybe apply early because this is such a selective school, but plan for a possible retake.

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

I would apply now and tell the admissions committee that you plan on retaking in January. This way they can look at everything early and they'll just be waiting for your LSAT score to come in