143 diagnostic :( need advice plz

olgalsatolgalsat Alum Member
edited October 2019 in General 158 karma

I don't know how to feel but I'm not too discouraged because I know I put in about 50% effort in finishing this diagnostic (HORRIBLE migrane during it, I just wanted to finish the test) . But I'm looking to increase by 20 points & I bought the Ultimate + in hopes of achieving that. Dedicating about 4 days out of the week till March 2020 prepping for this LSAT. Any of you have similar stats and ended up improving? or do I need to get realistic? Please help!

Possible to get into 160s by March 2020?

160+ possible for me?
  1. am I realistic?81 votes
    1. yes!
      95.06%
    2. no. sit down.
        4.94%

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    edited October 2019 656 karma

• Nothing is impossible if you do it the right way!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Yep, started about where you were 3-4 months ago now at mid 160s

• olgalsatolgalsat Alum Member
    158 karma

@lexxx745 if you don't mind, what resources did you use in terms of prep material? Thank you!

• SmoochieWallaceSmoochieWallace Alum Member
    edited October 2019 10 karma

Low diagnostic literally means nothing. It only shows you that there is one way to go and that is up. Keep grinding, follow the proccess and you'll be fine.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

No worries. Just wait on registering for your test until you've had some experience with practice exams. As a data point, according to ThinkingLSAT, their students get diagnostics that tend to fall in this general range: 140-155, but on test day many did MUCH better and got into dream schools. Also, see the AMAs with Sages on the 7Sage Podcast for lots of impressive improvement stories.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Short answer is yes. Would be difficult but certainly possible. Can I ask you why March? Why not give yourself until next fall?

158 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" I'm done University and I work maybe two times a week. Which leads me to spend over 30 hours or more just studying for this exam. So personally for me, I think studying for a year would be mentally draining. Also I'm in Canada, we are big on rolling admissions, I want to write the LSAT March 2020, get results late April, if not good, re-write for July. Finish personal statements in August & get ready to submit all applications in September 2020 which is why I do not prefer writting in Fall. I don't have an excuse as to why I should not be prepared with 5 months of priority LSAT studying! It'll be hardwork but March 2020, I will get over a 160 :)

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Keepgoing said:
    @"Pride Only Hurts" I'm done University and I work maybe two times a week. Which leads me to spend over 30 hours or more just studying for this exam. So personally for me, I think studying for a year would be mentally draining. Also I'm in Canada, we are big on rolling admissions, I want to write the LSAT March 2020, get results late April, if not good, re-write for July. Finish personal statements in August & get ready to submit all applications in September 2020 which is why I do not prefer writting in Fall. I don't have an excuse as to why I should not be prepared with 5 months of priority LSAT studying! It'll be hardwork but March 2020, I will get over a 160 :)

Ah I guess I assumed you're working full-time. Yes, 30 hours a week is practically studying full time and it would be very draining to keep that up for a year. I have no doubt that you can get there by March! Good luck!

• LSATisthehardestthingLSATisthehardestthing Free Trial Member
    edited December 2019 98 karma

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

My diagnostic was 145. I ended up with a 169 on the July 2019 LSAT. Take your diagnostic with a grain of salt. You've never been exposed to the material, so its expected that you will do poorly. I worked full time and studied for the LSATS. Its challenging but if you want it enough you'll find the time and energy to study. Treat LSAT studying like a job, set time aside to study and stick to the curriculum.

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

The difference between my diagnostic and current PT score is 20 points (157 - 177.) I've been at it about 20-30 hours a week for nearly 11 months. You can surpass your goal with effort.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@Keepgoing said:
    @"Pride Only Hurts" I'm done University and I work maybe two times a week. Which leads me to spend over 30 hours or more just studying for this exam. So personally for me, I think studying for a year would be mentally draining.

Just because you have the hours to put into this exam doesn’t mean all those hours will be effective. There will be days where you aren’t focused and you trying to log 4-6 hours of study time when your head isn’t in it won’t do you much good.

Studying for 4 months might be enough time, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be done in March. It takes time to develop your skills, and the LSAT is a test of skill, not knowledge. You can’t really study for the LSAT after you learn the basics, and the basics in the core curriculum will only get you so far. To reach your goals you’ll have to practice and you can’t predict how quickly your LSAT skills will develop just based on the hours you put in.

It’s good that you realize you can retake in the summer, but I would just urge you to only take the test when you are ready. If you’re not ready in March, just wait until the summer or fall. Studying (practicing) for a year isn’t draining unless you are prioritizing quantity over quality. Best of luck in your LSAT journey and you are in the right place!

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

@"Peter.p.l" could you tell us how long it took you to get there and what helped the most to increase your score?Thanks.

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

@Gee-dawg I was working full time 40-60 hour weeks so i was studying on and off for a year and a half. For RC, I found the 7sage memory method really hepful. LG, the foolproof method works, and for LR, i read ellen cassidy’s book lsat loophole and did the drills. Treat your lsat like another job try to schedule at least 12-15 hours a week studying for it.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@Keepgoing I started with a 142 diagnostic and scored 161 on the September LSAT. Anything is possible don't beat yourself up. Now if they hadn't made me wait until 11:45 to take the test I would have scored where I usually score (170+) but starting a test with hunger pains never ends well. Make sure you simulate your testing conditions and prepare for THE WORST because anything can happen.

158 karma

@DivineRaze Still such an amazing score! What prep materail did you use especially for logic games?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I didn’t take a diagnostic, but scored a 152 on my first test after three months of studying, so I set my diagnostic range conservatively in the upper 140’s.
    Worked up to official 176, so my opinion here is self-evident.

550 karma

@Keepgoing I started by reading the PowerScore Bibles, it didn't help. I then moved on to 7Sage and that grounded my foundation much better. Then I moved on to the LSAT Trainer and polished what I learned from 7Sage. After that I took a month or two off, came back, and started doing all the PrepTests and teaching myself on how to reason. Thats how I got to where I am today. Teaching myself was by far the best thing I could have done. I would also suggest getting a tutoring session with @"Cant Get Right" , he can put things into perspective for you.

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

@"Peter.p.l" thank you

• @DivineRaze can I ask what you have been scoring and for how long you studied with PS and then 7Sage before you saw improvements? I also started out with PS and studied using their material for 4 months with no improvement to my score at all. My diagnostic score didn’t start to improve until about 2 months ago when I discovered fool proofing and blind reviewing. I learned both methods from 7Sage’s free resources. Wish I hadn’t wasted any money on Powerscore. I’m also looking into Ellen Cassidy’s book since I’ve heard such good things about it. I’m wondering if I need to study the core curriculum more since I had only learned PowerScore’s.

• katiehoffeckerkatiehoffecker Alum Member
    60 karma

I think it is possible. I don’t think most people ever encounter anything like the LSAT in their lives. I think it is completely unreasonable to expect on your first take to be flawless. Put in some solid study, don’t get discouraged, and I bet you will do amazing come March!

edited November 2019 550 karma

@Stellaluna Im currently scoring in the 170's range with no difficulty. After completing PowerScore I had no improvement in my score at all either, I actually got worse (studied PowerScore for about 4 months). I started seeing improvements when I finished the CC from 7Sage and started PT'ing. However, that increase was not a significant improvement. I saw the biggest improvement when I stopped all LSAT related things for 2 months then returned and started doing it with a fresh perspective. So, currently it will be around a year and two months since I started studying, including my time studying PowerScore. I wasted a lot of precious tests that I could have Blind Reviewed but didn't. BR is very helpful in terms of raising your score in the least amount of time. It also increases accuracy; especially when you get to the 160's BR is a MUST. I would put it like this: 7Sage created a strong base for me and the LSAT Trainer polished it. After polished I began a solo journey and began fixing and teaching myself. If you're relying on PowerScore for CC I would suggest you redo the CC on 7Sage like me. I hear a lot of great things about Ellen Cassidy's book but I haven't had a chance to read it. I would suggest your plan of action to consist of doing the 7Sage CC then Ellen Cassidy's book.

• @DivineRaze thank you for sharing!