Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me get a 170 PLZ

jmd337jmd337 Alum Member
in General 30 karma

So I am days away from the october test and I just honestly need someone to talk to and vent. I started studying for the lsat in february of 2019 with testmasters, cold diag was 151. Fast forward to the july test I was averaging around 159 with my highest two tests being a 163 and 166. Ended up gettting a 155 though I partially blame this on the fact that I got a paper test and had only taken digital practice tests. Currently my average is about a 164 but I hit 166/ 165 very frequently. Although I am planning on sitting for the exam on monday, I also have a seat for november. Can someone please tell me things I can do to maximize my time before the november admin to break 170 on the real thing? I have been testing twice a week for months and have already taken 35 PTs. My weakness for certain is RC (started -12, now more like -7/8) but I am unsure if I should strive to get better at LR to go -0 on that or where my efforts are better spent. I have a 3.7 GPA and my top choice is NYU but I would also be okay to go to Fordham. Is the november test too late to apply to a reach school? Can I hit my goal of 170 on the real administration in one month? Or would I be better off just applying with my october score when it comes? Thank you!

Comments

• One piece of advice is to sit down and go over all your wrong answers. Go for quality, not quantity. I have made the same mistake before, just doing one PT after another without knowing why I got this wrong. You should do BR for all sections! You can do it!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Seems like your really stressed out. If you need someone to vent to, PM me and im always happy to listen. As for your questions, 166-170 in a month seems really tough. I would say its not likely at all. You have taken quite a few tests already. I think you need to postpone if you really want to hit 170. Take another year off, and test just once a week and throughly blind review. As for RC, thats where Im having trouble too. There arent that many RC sections (88) as there are LR, so you should use them sparingly. Pick up the economist or other news articles. After all, there are people that can go -1 or -0 on RC without ever haven taken the LSAT because they have read so much their entire lives.

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma

What is your BR score? And what do your LG look like?

• mikesun232mikesun232 Alum Member
    25 karma

is the October 2019 lsat at 12:30?!?!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Between now and November keep working on LG and LR every day to stay on top of those sections, but dive deep into as much RC as you can and blind review each passage until you are confident that you actually understand what the questions are specifically asking you and how to answer those questions given the information in the passage.

For the October test, just relax and trust yourself. Don't keep track of your section by section performance and just take each question one at a time while maintaining good timing. When you open the first section on test day, whether it's LG/LR/RC, tell yourself "Good! I'm glad the first section is RC I'm fresh right now or I'm feeling focused!" Trick your brain into viewing anything the test throws at you as a positive.

• jmd337jmd337 Alum Member
    30 karma

Thank you everyone!