Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on creating a test day environment for PTs?

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
in General 938 karma

With less than a month until the Nov LSAT, I'd like to make my PT's as "real" as the real thing. Any advice on this? I will be using an iPad.

Thanks all, and happy studying.

Comments

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

My local public library had a quiet study room that was rather big and had a lot of people in it. That helped create the kind of random ambient noise to simulate test day conditions, and also I guess taking a PT around strangers was something that helped too. I felt like test day was just another PT because of this, if not even quieter.

If you're taking PTs at home, filming yourself keeps you from cheating yourself on time (unless you're doing digital on the ipad lol) and also always play the ambient noise on 7sage's proctor app to simulate distractions.

• vhumenyuk-1vhumenyuk-1 Member
    107 karma

The best thing you can do is to go to a coffee shop to do PT's. It is not just a noisy environment that is useful to get used to, but also a level of physical discomfort that you might experience while seating in an uncomfortable (wooden, in the case of most coffee shops) chair, literally shoulder to shoulder with other people, with only a small tiny desk in the front of you and little or no space to stretch your legs or back when needed.

I got used to study and doing my PT's in noisy environments and to ignore distractions, and did really help me a lot during an actual LSAT. My mistake, however, was that I always tried to make sure I seat in a comfortable position, with enough light, enough space around me and a descent size of a desk, so that I could comfortably keep a tablet in the front of my eyes and have enough space to put my scratch paper on and to write on it.
    On the actual LSAT, however, I just couldn't ignore (at least for very long) a physical discomfort that I encountered. The chair I was seating in was comfortable for at most, at most a one hour class (that's what it was made for on the first place). Because of the other people seating right next to me, I virtually had no space to make any kind of move or a stretch. We also had no luxury of having a nice and flat desk in the front of us. What we had instead was an outdated arm-holder - that's how I would call it. So, doing LG sections on a paper and having a tablet on that miniature desk at the same time was not very comfy. Pain in a back, a neck, and an overall numbness due to physical discomfort wasn't a point of my preparation on the first place. But it should have been.

To summarize, just keep in mind that on the LSAT, you are to follow their game plan and to play away from home on their field. Noise distractions and physical discomfort may negatively affect your level of focus and a positive attitude.

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

Public library is where I did it, but it is hard to simulate a test environment. It is easier to block out noise happening all around then it is when it is very quiet and one very specific noise problem pops up. This happened to me on the test with the girl who had the sniffles all of a sudden during section 5. I took about 20 seconds to refocus and was able to get past it, but to me that is harder than a bunch of noise so if you can practice that somehow.