Upcoming Admissions Webinars + Edit Giveaways

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited December 2019 in Law School Admissions 7262 karma

We have an exciting webinar coming up!

• On December 11, from 9–10 p.m. ET, we'll host Polly Lawson, a 7Sage consultant and assistant dean for graduate studies at UVA Law. (Register.)

The webinars are free, but you’ll have to register in advance:

We’ll ask our guests about their admissions processes and law school admissions in general. In the second half of the webinar, you'll get a chance to ask your questions directly.

🍪One attendee of each webinar will get a free Edit Once.

What questions would you like us to pose in the first half? What issues would you like us to bring up? Please make your suggestions in the comments.

Past Webinars

• On November 6, from 9–10 p.m. ET, we will host Sabrina Huffman and Anne Richard, the director of admissions and acting dean of enrollment management, respectively, of George Mason Law. Before coming to George Mason, Sabrina Huffman was an assistant director of admissions at USC Gould School of Law; Anne Richard was a dean of admissions at the University of Virginia School of Law.

• On November 13, from 9–10 p.m. ET, we’ll host Mathiew Le, the assistant dean for admission and financial aid of The University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

• On December 4, from 9–10 p.m. ET, we’ll host Matthew Dillard, the director of admissions of The George Washington University Law School, and Rob Schwartz, the assistant dean of admissions of UCLA Law. (Register.)

Comments

• 21 karma

What are common mistakes or 'no-nos' on applications that are frequently seen that could easily be avoided?

• J_ClarksonJ_Clarkson Alum Member
    edited October 2019 585 karma

What are some common traits of applicants who "punch above their numbers"?

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

What are the cases/circumstances/themes/commonalities of admits below both medians who are not URM (ppl with not great numbers, some even with a number way below a median)? Outside of extraordinary circumstances (Olympian, Nobel prize winner, Purple Heart award, etc).

• mooooooo00mooooooo00 Free Trial Member
    44 karma

Advice for a great C&F addendum?

• How advantageous would applying for ED put a student over someone else who cannot do it because of late LSAT registration? I want to apply for ED but I registered for LSAT in November, which is later than the latest LSAT date most ED programs allow. Thanks!

• galaxygalgalaxygal Alum Member
    224 karma

What are the common types of situations where writing an addendum would hurt the applicant more than to not write one at all?

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Funding options for nontraditional students with multiple degrees?

• 3 karma

If you had to assign a percentage, how important is the story of the personal statement vs. the strength of the writing?

Will a relatively mundane personal statement that is written strongly prevail over an interesting story with occasional sentence structure and grammar mistakes or vice versa?

• sidytraoresidytraore Alum Member
    36 karma

On what basis do law schools issue unsolicited fee wavers?

• How advantageous is it for a student to send in their application very early ? In other words, is it better to have a better score in regular cycle or a relatively worse score in early cycle?

• Anonymouse-1Anonymouse-1 Alum Member
    189 karma

If there is a conflict, and you cant do both, what would show better for the purposes of an application:

(1) Applying early (Sept/October) with a decent application package, or (2) applying ED a little later (Nov/Dec) once you've had time to visit the school, talk to admissions, beef up essays, etc.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    264 karma

For USC, is it too late to apply in February after receiving Jan LSAT? Thanks

• For UT: Is it better to try and apply at the tail end of this application cycle and risk being rejected due to the late timing or to wait until the next application cycle to apply early? How does UT view people who apply for a second time after being rejected?

• Silvia_LSilvia_L Alum Member
    55 karma

For candidates who have lower-than-median LSAT or/and GPA figures, what would you find that makes you really want to admit that person - their special experiences, or some traits you found by reading the personal statement? Hope to get some examples, if possible. Thanks a lot for holding the webinars!

• Memeseg_88Memeseg_88 Member
    19 karma

I concur with @Silvia_L 's question.

Also, what is their opinion on personal statements that include political views, especially if it is an important part of why someone is going to law school (e.g. fighting for immigration rights and the influence of the current stance of the fed govt on immigration on one's decision to go to aw school)?

And, what sort of elements do they think are important in a diversity statement?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

The webinar with Anne Richard and Sabrina Huffman is happening soon! I hope to see some of you!

• kaikdamekaikdame Core Member
    77 karma

For UT: With competition from higher ranked schools, could you discuss in-state big law placement ?

• LSATisthehardestthingLSATisthehardestthing Free Trial Member
    98 karma

@"David.Busis" That was a great session with Anne and Sabrina! I really wanted to ask a question, but I'm in Asia and working so couldn't multi-task while my co-workers were within earshot...Thank you so much for organizing this David! Really appreciate it.

• Jena.R.MathewsJena.R.Mathews Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Hey all! Are these webinars recorded and made accessible for later viewing if we can't make it? Thank you!

7262 karma

Congrats to @Malcolm, the winner of our first free edit once!

7262 karma

@"Jena.R.Mathews" we're working on it. Stay tuned!

• Anonymouse-1Anonymouse-1 Alum Member
    189 karma

@"David.Busis" For the U.T. Q&A: I feel like providing information to admissions offers is a delicate balance between "well-rounded" and "too much" whereby, in ones attempt to be as explanatory as possible, a conflict between brevity and addressing only the necessary/important parts of an application is created. In an attempt to be judicious with an applications supporting materials, what is deemed truly important in terms of explanation? (Gap in W.E., Multiple takes/multiple cancels LSAT, Low GPA, diversity statement, why X). To some degree I realize its case-by-case but are there triggers that suggest necessity in these statements? (e.g. 6 month gap in W.E. - Yes definitely explain, 2+ cancellations on LSAT - Yes def explain, etc.)

7262 karma

The webinar with Texas Law is starting soon!

• hf_333hf_333 Free Trial Member
    3 karma

@sidytraore said:
    On what basis do law schools issue unsolicited fee wavers?

I have been wondering this too! Have you gotten a bunch of these emails also?

7262 karma

Congrats to @Bethedream, the winner of our Edit Once giveaway!

• sydneystanciksydneystancik Member
    3 karma

For GW & UCLA- How heavily is one's undergraduate major weighed in the admissions process? My major was not directly related to law (or my interest in it) and I'm concerned it might seem inconsistent with the rest of my application. I did well and developed strong writing/research skills as a result but will my unconventional degree ultimately count as a strike against me?

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

WIll you upload the University of Texas webinar from last month? I was only able to listen in on parts of it.

7262 karma

Webinar with Matt Dillard of the George Washington University Law School and Rob Schwartz of UCLA Law is starting soon!

7262 karma

@"Peter.p.l" unfortunately, Texas Law has asked us not to post their webinars.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    Webinar with Matt Dillard of the George Washington University Law School and Rob Schwartz of UCLA Law is starting soon!

Good evening!
    It's my first webinar with 7sage. Are we automatically muted? Just want to make sure my background noises are not interfering with the meeting.

• MrchampionMrchampion Alum Member
    20 karma

@"David.Busis" Is UCLA allowing yesterdays webinar to be uploaded? If yes, when? Thank you!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Thoughts on writing admissions essays as a nontraditional student?

7262 karma

@Mrchampion one of the schools said yes; still waiting on the other one. I'll let you know here when it goes up.

7262 karma

Hi everyone + @Mrchampion ! The videos are up.

Find Polly Lawson's webinar here:

Find the webinar with Rob Schwartz and Matt Dillard here: