Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A long journey...20+ points jump

PrincessPrincess Alum Member
in General 821 karma

First thing, I want to thank anyone who replies because I know this is very long.

The problem is my score isn't where I want it to be. Here are my test breakdowns:

Original last year: 144 before CC on diagnostic
Two weeks ago: PT 63- 159 and BR 173
Two weeks ago:PT 65- 163 and BR 175
Few days ago: PT 69- 170 and BR 172
Most recent: PT 70- 164

I know I am making progress, but seeing the dip from 170 to 164 is a bit stressful. I know it was because the environment got very disruptive last minute, but still...I am very stressed. My main goal was to get into the Top 14 law schools, but I have just a 3.6 GPA. I am worried that my GPA isn't good enough for law school, but I thought maybe with a high LSAT score, I might be able to still get in.

I feel like I should be aiming for the 170, but can I even get that by July? If not July, then September? Is that too unrealistic? I am worried about taking the test in November and applying later on because of my GPA. I really want to go to the Top 14 though, so I don't know because I did sit last year's cycle out, so I don't want to delay ANOTHER year. I was really set on the Top 14 and I am looking for any advice. Thank you so much!

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

Why T14 or bust? We have no way of knowing if you can reach 170 by July but the good news is that you have scored a 170 on a real timed PT. Focus on replicating that success between now and July! Good luck

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

I think I was just hoping for others' stories who have had success going up 5ish points towards 170 and looking for strategies that worked for them!

@"Lucas Carter" said:
    Why T14 or bust? We have no way of knowing if you can reach 170 by July but the good news is that you have scored a 170 on a real timed PT. Focus on replicating that success between now and July! Good luck

• samba324samba324 Alum Member
    36 karma

The progress that you’ve made so far is incredible! I wouldn’t stress out too much about 1 test. There are so many variables that can go into a single test score: environment (as you mentioned), alertness, maybe the section that you struggle on the most was unusually hard this time, etc. Maybe the 170 was unusually high, or the 164 unusually low, who knows? IMO, the best way to find out where you’re really at is to take the average of 5 or so recent test scores, if you’re taking them frequently.

Keep grinding and don’t psych yourself out. If you get the 170 in July, then great! If you need to take it again in the fall to get the score you want, then that’s fine too.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I would wait to take the test until your scores are more consistent. Try to locate the problem of what is causing the fluctuation in scores. Whenever I did bad on the test, I would just blame the test and say that the test was b.s or they put a messed up game or r.c passage and practically ignored it. I noticed I was BR'ing it less than tests I would get above 170 on because I was pissed and was so eager to just move on from a bad score. It ended up costing me on the real test. The good thing is your BR scores are consistent and high which shows you understand the concepts. With the digital version, it makes it easier to understand where the problem is because you can see the time you allocated to each question/game/passage and really examine what went wrong.

edited June 2019 821 karma

Definitely! This was really helpful and I'm going to keep working. Especially with the July retake option available and getting to see the score before, it seems like a good idea. Thank you for being so encouraging!

I think I was just hoping for others' stories who have had success going up 5ish points towards 170 and looking for strategies that worked for them!

The progress that you’ve made so far is incredible! I wouldn’t stress out too much about 1 test. There are so many variables that can go into a single test score: environment (as you mentioned), alertness, maybe the section that you struggle on the most was unusually hard this time, etc. Maybe the 170 was unusually high, or the 164 unusually low, who knows? IMO, the best way to find out where you’re really at is to take the average of 5 or so recent test scores, if you’re taking them frequently.

Keep grinding and don’t psych yourself out. If you get the 170 in July, then great! If you need to take it again in the fall to get the score you want, then that’s fine too.

821 karma

Hey! I feel like I also sometimes blame the sections, so that's why I'm just sitting down patiently and reviewing the test once more. It was my first time doing the digital online for PT 70 where I got the 164. I got impatient...I know I shouldn't have, but I wanted to know my score and see how 7sage new feature works. It was really helpful to see where I was switching answers and I'm going to keep working on this. I'm sitting down patiently and BR-ing effectively on paper and writing out my explanations. Do you think this is a good approach? Take the test digitally, BR on paper and write out explanations.

Also, with the July retake option available and getting to see the score before, it seems like a good idea to just take the test. Thank you for your advise!

@cooljon525 said:
    I would wait to take the test until your scores are more consistent. Try to locate the problem of what is causing the fluctuation in scores. Whenever I did bad on the test, I would just blame the test and say that the test was b.s or they put a messed up game or r.c passage and practically ignored it. I noticed I was BR'ing it less than tests I would get above 170 on because I was pissed and was so eager to just move on from a bad score. It ended up costing me on the real test. The good thing is your BR scores are consistent and high which shows you understand the concepts. With the digital version, it makes it easier to understand where the problem is because you can see the time you allocated to each question/game/passage and really examine what went wrong.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Keep it up! I have also made a 20+ point improvement. My advice to you is to aim for something like a 165 consistently before worrying about 170. Take it one step at a time. Once you’re averaging in the mid 160, work on shaving off a couple points to get your average score into the upper 160s. Once you’re there you can realistically start aiming for 170+ scores.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited June 2019 2227 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    Keep it up! I have also made a 20+ point improvement. My advice to you is to aim for something like a 165 consistently before worrying about 170. Take it one step at a time. Once you’re averaging in the mid 160, work on shaving off a couple points to get your average score into the upper 160s. Once you’re there you can realistically start aiming for 170+ scores.

Agreed. I was really inconsistent when I was scoring in the low/mid 160s and as I've gained consistency I moved up in score. My score range was 7 or 8 points between my low PTs and my highest PTs at the lower/mid 160s and now the range is more like 4 or 5 points. Focus on BR, not your score for any individual PT.

@Princess
    Also, there are tons of opportunities with a 3.6 GPA. Don't box yourself into a 170+ T14 or bust mindset because that seems unrealistically narrow. 3.6 GPA isn't going to prevent you from going to any school. It may not give you an edge, but it won't be a hindrance.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    edited June 2019 703 karma

I am in the middle of the, almost, exact same score trajectory of which you described. Don't panic. What makes the next 5 point jump so difficult, as touched on above, is consistency and the fact that this final jump is, arguably, harder than the 20 point jump that came up to this point. At the 165+ timed and 175+ BR range, it is evident you have a firm grasp on the test itself, but it comes down to execution. It may be many different factors that contribute to your score not getting to 170 (screwed up an LG game, RC passage, or had a particularly tough LR performance), but at this stage, anyone of those individually could put you back at the 164/165. Focus on those incremental gains each test. Having hit the 169/170 on PT69, you have that performance in your wheelhouse, but until you hit 167,168,169 consistently, that 170 is possible, but would be less likely.

821 karma

Hi guys! A little update... I'm trying to make the jump from 167 to 170. My BR score right now is 177. I missed 16 on PT 68 and missed 18 on 71. What is your advise? I'm planning to take the LSAT this November. I'm aiming for the top 14, so I don't know if 167 would still be a decent score. I really do want to break into the 170s if possible though. I'm studying full time so please give me your tips

PT68 S1 2019-10-30 1 week ago RC -4 -3
    PT68 S2 2019-10-30 1 week ago LR -4 -1
    PT68 S3 2019-10-30 1 week ago LR -5 -1
    PT68 S4 2019-10-30 1 week ago LG -3 -1

PT71 S1 2019-11-07 6 mins ago LR -5 -3
    PT71 S2 2019-11-07 6 mins ago LG -1 -0
    PT71 S3 2019-11-07 6 mins ago LR -6 -2
    PT71 S4 2019-11-07 6 mins ago RC -6 -1

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

LR seems to be your biggest weakness right now from the latest PTs. Keep doing LG every day and try to do 2-3 RC passages of RC at least every other day (with blind review). Spend the rest of your time doing LR and review each question (even the ones you are confident about). Make sure your skipping strategy is solid and keep at it!