PT88.S4.Q21 - Airbag question

mariannemarianne Member
edited November 2019 in Logical Reasoning 10 karma

I flagged this one but on blind review stuck with my answer of B...I can understand why the correct answer is A, but still don't see why B CAN'T be right? Has anyone got their arms around this one?

Admin note: minor title edit; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"

Comments

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

@mariannefichtel said:
    I flagged this one but on blind review stuck with my answer of B...I can understand why the correct answer is A, but still don't see why B CAN'T be right? Has anyone got their arms around this one?

Admin note: minor title edit; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [brief description]"

The reason answer choice B is incorrect is because it states something the argument does not. Our task here is to identify the flaw in the statement. Simply put, nowhere does the stimulus claim that any failure in a computer control system will result in accidental airbag inflation. Since it isn't claimed, it can't be the flaw.

• Ms NikkiMs Nikki Alum Member
    edited November 2019 128 karma

B states that it takes for granted any failure = air bag inflate. The argument does not do this. Instead, the argument presumes that more ways to fail = more of a chance it will fail. Not that every time it will fail. The author doesn't even state how it would fail. Maybe the computer control system will fail to make the air conditioning work. Or maybe a failure will cause the airbag not to inflate.

The argument only states that with the increase in possibility of failure due to the complex system, the specific "Accidental air bag inflation" rate will increase.