PT88.S2.Q9 - Myth that a significant amount of music is downloaded to become new music

emmmmmmm-1emmmmmmm-1 Alum Member
edited November 2019 in Logical Reasoning 69 karma

I got this question right during my PT and wrong during BR. I kept fluctuating between A (the right answer) and D (the wrong answer). I totally get why A is right but I do not understand why D is wrong. SOS.

Many thanks.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

D is wrong because it is inaccurate. The argument doesn’t presume all reworked music is always published on the internet.

If D was changed to say that it overlooks the possibility that reworks could be published in a non-internet medium (like a CD) it would still be wrong because the conclusion is specifically talking about music on the internet. The reason I bring up this hypothetical is because it is kind of a negation of what D is saying.

This question tests your ability to quickly identify that percentages of people doing an activity =/= volume of said activity.

• emmmmmmm-1emmmmmmm-1 Alum Member
    69 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    D is wrong because it is inaccurate. The argument doesn’t presume all reworked music is always published on the internet.

If D was changed to say that it overlooks the possibility that reworks could be published in a non-internet medium (like a CD) it would still be wrong because the conclusion is specifically talking about music on the internet. The reason I bring up this hypothetical is because it is kind of a negation of what D is saying.

This question tests your ability to quickly identify that percentages of people doing an activity =/= volume of said activity.

THANK YOU that totally made it click.

2227 karma

Awesome!

• Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    edited November 2019 81 karma

I initially chose D, but later in BR I was able to see that D is not what we are looking for.

Let’s say a songwriter takes samples of downloaded music and makes his own music.
    A total rip off artist. (like Portugal The Man ripping off the Marvelettes)
    He can have a huge folder of “new creations” that he doesn’t post to the internet.
    Maybe he plays them live or listens to them for personal pleasure.

But if he doesn’t post it to the internet, he falls under the 99% mentioned in the editor’s premise.

The author doesn’t presume that all people who rip off other’s music always post them on the internet. (That is what D is accusing the editor of)

the only thing the author is concerned about is “music on the internet”

• Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    81 karma

@drbrown2 aww... beat me to it :( saw yours after I posted comment and page refreshed.

2227 karma

@"Harvey Dent" said:
    @drbrown2 aww... beat me to it :( saw yours after I posted comment and page refreshed.

That’s ok. When I was studying I tried to respond to as many of these questions as I could. Explaining difficult questions helps you improve!