Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there something wrong with me?

What___IfWhat___If Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma

Hi guys.
I have been foolproofing LGs for a while now and I am a little more than halfway through (have foolproofed ~20 LG PTs so around 80 individual ones). While I have definitely improved my diagramming skills and in/out logic, I still freeze, make dumb mistakes, and go over the target time on most new games. Like for example, today I did a moderately hard one and got really excited when I hit the time, but then went 3 minutes over on two other easy games. It just doesn’t make any sense.
Is it normal that I’m still struggling with these things? Games destroyed me in the September exam (granted, I took the test knowing I wasn’t fully prepared). It’s just frustrating to still be struggling halfway through foolproofing and seeing everyone else (at least on this site) say it is the easiest section to improve.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
(Btw I typed this on my phone so please ignore any typos)

Comments

• lydia.huang105lydia.huang105 Alum Member
    41 karma

Don't beat yourself up. LG has a huge learning curve because it is dramatically different from all the other stuff we are used to do. Break down where you get stuck, what kind of inferences do you usually miss or take a while to make? Make a little note every time you "get stuck", then combine it into a checklist (i.e did I take the contrapositives? did I make the positive inferences from the negative rules, can I split the board?) Then when you attack new games that are of that type, and you're stuck, quickly run that checklist in your mind. That usually gives me a decent direction to go on.

LG is known for the easiest section to improve only because there are alot of cookie cutter inferences to make. So once you get those down, you are good to go for a huge chunk of the games. But that doesn't mean it is the easiest to learn. Take your time foolproofing. Compare yourself to yourself in the past and you'll see improvements :) also don't sweat it for September games, I heard it screwed ALOT of people over.

Good Luck!!!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Yep, take your time and youll be good to go. And you can think about it like this you are ONLY halfway. Most people might not hit their peak till their done foolproofing and have even encountered a ton of new games. So, there is still room for improvement, dont sweat it :).

• Plays No GamesPlays No Games Alum Member
    33 karma

What really helped me was I would watch the video and do the games alongside JY while pausing etc. Then I would wait a day to practice the game on my own. This helped because it didn’t allow me to just speed read through the stimulus and rules while fool-proofing immediately after the video. This helps you connect the way in which the lsat words the stimulus and how you should interpret it into rules and inferences.

When I was just remembering rules JY came up with, I would just breeze through the stim when fool-proofing and regurgitate what JY did with out really thinking about why I was doing it. I think this explained my early struggles when encountering new logic games. By not focusing attention on the stimulus and Interpreting it in a way that made sense to me during my fool-proofing, I wasn’t able to see how the new games I was seeing were similar to older games I had seen.

I hope this made sense and sorry for the ramble! Good luck !

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Nothing wrong with you. Keep plugging away.

• MorbidlyObeseCheetahsMorbidlyObeseCheetahs Alum Member
    50 karma

@Lydia.huang105 is right: don't beat yourself up. Besides, the LSAT takes care of that for us.

In all seriousness, I have asked myself the question in this post's title a few times. In addition to the great advice above, I'll mention a few points that have been very particularly helpful in my journey from absolute LG garbage to scoring consistently -5 and better:

--Take time with the inferences and setup. Acclimate yourself to each game to your satisfaction before approaching the questions. Speed will come; the people here aren't kidding.
    --Note if you're feeling rushed, fearful, or panicked, and then simply dismiss it. These responses are useless. You don't have time for that anyway. Get in there and mix it up. If a move you're considering doesn't violate the implicit or explicit rules of the game, it's fair game.
    --You are what you repeatedly practice. Be your most tenacious and ingenious self throughout your practice. It will become habit.
    --Do not categorically skip any question type on the face of it, even rule substitution questions. Stay firm and give each question a fair shot. That said, know when to cut ties with a game or question and circle back later. Get a sense for when to examine AC B or D or E first; experiment with different orders. Be complete, but also take the test on your terms. Do this in every step of your practice, in every problem set and game.

In some senses, keep doing exactly what you're doing: seek advice, be open-minded, be introspective about the process. Think about metacognition, or self-awareness of your learning and thinking patterns.

Hope at least something here was helpful or thought-inspiring. Practice, gain confidence, and challenge yourself. Enjoy the journey, you future lawyer, you!

• bigjoecbigjoec Alum Member
    56 karma

Have you let yourself taste the fruits of your labors?

Like if you've foolproofed a ton of games as one-offs, but it's been a while since you last did a full section under exam conditions (35 minutes, no extra time), I think you'd be pleased at your progress. You might be slow on some but make up time on one, and your accuracy may have increased so even if you're guessing it's just on a few.

So that's my recommendation -- take a couple sets under true exam conditions, and then evaluate your progress. You can then foolproof them later. And don't work about saving too many for pure, full PT experiences.