Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How similar are 7Sage's digital PTs to the real thing?

LSATLSAT-3LSATLSAT-3 Core Member
edited November 2019 in General 418 karma

Hi all,

A couple questions about the digital test:

(1) I've noticed that 7Sage's digital PTs differ slightly from the three digital PTs that LSAC has made available. Most notably is the option to collapse answer choices on 7Sage's PTs, an option not available on LSAC's PTs.

An LSAC representative told me that the format of the digital PTs that LSAC has made public is exactly like what we can expect to see on the test. I was hoping to confirm that here.

(2) Does there seem to be any consensus regarding the whole stylus-vs.-fingers question for ease of navigating the test? I’m not interested for highlighting or for using any other features, but rather just for scrolling RC passages and selecting answer choices.

Thanks for any thoughts, folks!

Comments

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    edited November 2019 550 karma

@NovemberLSAT The actual tablet test is different from 7Sage in that 7Sage's version is more stable and reliable. The actual test they give you a BS stylus and the tablet is unresponsive and/or laggy sometimes. The RC is pretty much the same layout and scroll. I used my finger to scroll during the actual test and used the stylus for the answer choices. I believe there was a collapse function on the actual test but don't take my word for it as I don't 100% remember. In all honesty the actual tablet version on test day is TRAAAAAASHHHHHH. If I had two months to learn coding and app design I could have made a WAY better version. The actual thing feels like someone just did the bare minimum and was like "This will do... barely".

• avelamb111avelamb111 Alum Member
    44 karma

I've found that 7sage's digital format was pretty close to the actual testing experience. There was a collapse function as well as the opportunity to eliminate answer choices on the actual LSAC administered test. You can use your finger or a stylus on the actual test. I also found that the stylus/tablet was not always responsive, which was pretty frustrating during actual test. I had to switch my tablet after the break because I was not able to eliminate any answer choices (although I could select those answers if I wanted to). The second tablet I used worked much better. Good luck!

• LSATLSAT-3LSATLSAT-3 Core Member
    418 karma

@DivineRaze and @avelamb111, thanks for your thoughts!

• 776 karma

I'd say 99% similar.

I think on the day of you get a few more options with dimming. However, get used to the font size and screen size change. It was a big for me to get used to on the day of.

• MJGspiceMJGspice Alum Member
    147 karma

On the actual test you can always eliminate answer choices by fading them like on 7sage, but they only have an option to collapse answers when not all the answers fit on the screen at one time. The actual test IME was exactly like the public digital tests that they have available.

edited November 2019 418 karma

@Trusttheprocess, thanks!

418 karma

@MJGspice, oh nice, thanks for this!

• simplayyysimplayyy Alum Member
    59 karma

I took the September test but cancelled. It looks exactly exam, except I think the tablet feels small, and the screen wasn’t as responsive as I would have liked. Definitely take advantage of options to minimize the font size.. helped me a lot. Good luck!

• Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    edited November 2019 81 karma

The tablet is a Microsoft surface go, which is ridiculously small.
    Check your local Best Buy to get a feel for what you will be up against.
    I don’t know why they did not decide to use iPads.

If you practice 7sage PTs on a tablet in fixed layout, you’ll have no problem adjusting in the actual exam.

You can collapse answers.

The stylus pen is trash. The friction it generates against the screen slows you down. Just use your finger.

• galaxygalgalaxygal Alum Member
    224 karma

@"Harvey Dent" Probably a silly question, but I'm assuming they don't let us bring our own stylus?

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@ReginaPhalange negative, they give you a hybrid LSAC labeled stylus/pen. I still have mine.

• Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    81 karma

@ReginaPhalange
    Yeah they won’t let you bring your own stylus.

Side note:
    The pen they give you is not great. Many pencils write faster than the LSAC pen.
    Palomino Blackwing pencils are the best you can get IMO.

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

Its very similar

The font is a bit different, but you can change it

I practice on an iPad with an Apple Pencil, the screen is smaller and i had back pain from leaning over the desk after my exam

I like the stylus they gave me, especially since its a pen (perfect for the games! I cant stand HB2 pencils - also forces me not to erase)

I can also see the whole RC passage on my screen which is quite fabulous

Now, would I pay 300$ CAD for it? That is a whole other debate haha

I cant wait until November is over!!

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@avelamb111 said:
    I've found that 7sage's digital format was pretty close to the actual testing experience. There was a collapse function as well as the opportunity to eliminate answer choices on the actual LSAC administered test. You can use your finger or a stylus on the actual test. I also found that the stylus/tablet was not always responsive, which was pretty frustrating during actual test. I had to switch my tablet after the break because I was not able to eliminate any answer choices (although I could select those answers if I wanted to). The second tablet I used worked much better. Good luck!

When you got a chance to swtich the tablet, did you have to restart taking the exam?

edited November 2019 418 karma

@simplayyy @"Harvey Dent" @Lolo1996, thanks for your detailed replies!

• WishingOnAStarWishingOnAStar Alum Member
    83 karma

Was the flagging questions function the same?

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    132 karma

@WishingOnAStar said:
    Was the flagging questions function the same?

Yes, there is a flag toggle in the top right of the question, which you can select to place a flag over the question number shown down in the bottom.