Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afternoon LSAT, tips to stay alert??

13rb813rb8 Alum Member

For anyone who has written an afternoon lsat (12:30pm), do you have any tips to fight the afternoon sluggishness and stay alert?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe have as restful a morning as possible while building energy, and find foods that are good for you.

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

Sleep in? I too, am a morning person

I ended up staying up until 2 am the night before the October LSAT, and slept until 11 (felt GREAT). I was too stressed to sleep.

Also, I bring a protein bar with me (I like grenade bars — I highly recommend) and buy a coffee. Maybe bring a red bull if you think it will be an issue? Also, do not do any studying the morning of.

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

I've seen people bring candy into the exam room in their clear bags. I don't especially advocate for this option, but eating some candy in the break could give an adequate sugar rush (before the crash) in those final two sections.

• edited November 2019 232 karma

I am a night owl that works out for me. I am more alert in the afternoon and evening than I am in the morning. Taking it at 12:30 PM is perfect for me. I will bring a granola bar and a small 20 oz orange juice with me to the testing center. I will eat a bowl of Honey Bunches Of Oats before go the testing center. I will stick to my LSAT strategy that I have built for months.

The thing is not worry about the people around you because they are stressed out already. Try a little classical music or smooth instrumental jazz. Works great to stay relaxed. You can take the Uber or Lyft there to alleviate the driving stress to the test center. If you are a person of faith, you can pray that you do well on the exam. Also, you can meditate if you are not person of faith. The people do the best on the exam are the ones who are relaxed.

• nat2tulanat2tula Alum Member
    75 karma

Get as much sleep as possible the night before the exam. I had trouble sleeping, so the sleep quality wasn't the best, but if you allow yourself more time to sleep, the better.

If you can, do some aerobic exercise before (even a walk). It's proven to keep the brain more alert. I brought a thermos of coffee along with me to sip on while I drove to the exam, but didn't have any caffeine once I arrived to avoid a crash (don't go OD on the caffeine!). Healthy snacks like granola and berries will give you the carbs for long term energy, and a lil chocolate for a sugar rush at the snack break.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I havent taken an official LSAT yet so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I will say that when I PT in the afternoon, after I have lifted or worked out, I feel so much better and actually perform better. The results for me reflect it. Maybe its because ive exercised for so long that when I take a practice test without having exercised the tiniest errors screw my strategy up, like getting so frustrated I time sink into one question. Also, some studies show like 20-30 minutes of exercise before can improve some aspects of cognition. Obviously may or may not be true, but I dont see how it could hurt? If anything, might be more applicable to the LSAT where how you feel is a legit factor in your performance.

• LawSchoolHopeful-6LawSchoolHopeful-6 Alum Member
    143 karma

Great advice all. Thank You for sharing.