Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! My score is dropping!

katelynkatelyn Alum Member
in General 5 karma

I've been studying for the LSAT since July 2019. After taking a weekend long crash course, my timed score was 158. In the subsequent months, I've gone through the core curriculum, worked with a private tutor, and used the Khan Academy practice resources. My last practice tests have been 157, 156, 154, and now 150. This is going the opposite direction that I want to! I am scheduled to write the January exam, and my goal is to score 162-164. Any advice to stop this downward spiral?

Comments

• RomeyRomeRomeyRome Core Member
    12 karma

Hello Katelyn, perhaps you need a few days or perhaps a week or two off from studying or taking practice tests. I found my biggest jumps in improvement came from taking time off because it is very draining and you could be burnt out and not even realize it. Also, try to enjoy the LSAT for what it is, the more positive energy put in the better! By the way that's a great starting score and you have done it before which means you can do it again!

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

@katelyn People advance at their own pace with this test; what you're going through may or may not be cause to shake up your study habits. That said, you really haven't given enough detail to offer anything but general advice yet. It would be useful to know, for example, what the patterns are in your Prep Test scores. In order to improve, you need to keep a record of the kinds of questions / passages/ games you're having trouble with and then make it your life's mission to become an expert on the underlying logic behind those issues.

I've been studying 25+ hours a week for nearly a year and have spent over $2000 on test prep materials. I've found that, for me, there are three resources that have given me more than everything else combined, so I'll recommend them to you.

1. 7Sage Ultimate+. This is the biggest bang for your buck in the world of prep. Every Prep Test and every question with a solid core curriculum and explanations. It may seem like a lot of cash but if I had it all to do over, I'd start here and save some time / money. Took me from high 160s to consistent 170s.

2. "The Loophole to LSAT Logical Reasoning" by Ellen Cassidy. This book took me from missing -7/-9 per LR section to -0/-3 and broke my 160s ceiling for the first time. You need this.

3. "Manhattan Prep Logic Games Strategy Guide." This really is the best supplementary resource for improving LG after the 7Sage core curriculum.

Honorable mention: "LSAT Trainer" by Mike Kim. This is the book that got me to my first 165+ Prep Test score after struggling in the high 150s/low 160s for months.

Anywho, it would be great to know more about what your section scores are like in order to give you more specific information. I opine that most of us who've been at it for a while have been where you are. Hope I can help!