Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score??

kmdflemingkmdfleming Core Member
edited November 2019 in November 2019 LSAT 23 karma

I'm 30, work full time, and have a Bachelor of Education and this was my very first time writing a real LSAT. I had LR, LG, LR, LR, RC and I felt like I completely forgot how to do anything in LG and am pretty sure I guessed for the majority. After that, I didn't feel very confident in anything I was doing. I applied to law school for September 2020 and it's too late now to take the January test.

I'm debating between A) cancelling my score and abandoning any chance of law school Sept 2020 and taking the LSAT again and applying for Sept 2021 or B ) risking it out and seeing what my score is and applying anyway. The school I really want averages LSAT scores and their average acceptance score is 160. I'm really worried I scored less than 140. I'm leaning toward cancelling my score - any advice?

What to do...
  1. What should I do if I fear my score is below 14040 votes
    1. For sure cancel your score...
      47.50%
    2. Risk it out and see how you did...
      52.50%

Comments

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    edited November 2019 1094 karma

So...
    ...I’ve been there. Many of us have. I actually cancelled my June score only to bomb (for me) and get a 164 in September. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t cancelled because I almost certainly did better than I thought I had. I felt like I bombed every LSAT so far (except today) but I didn’t. It is far more likely that you are within 3 points of your PT average than you think. I say keep it and prepare for January just in case.

• BirdinBookBirdinBook Alum Member
    65 karma

Deadline to register for January test is December 3rd...

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Have you been scoring near what you want to score on your practice tests? If you’re in the ballpark definitely keep your score. I’m assuming you’re applying to a Canadian school since US schools do not average scores.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

The amount of fear and apprehension you show makes me think you should really cancel and really go ham on the LSAT to apply for next year. In all honestly, if you truly guessed on a majority on LG, I would cancel... No one here is going to tell you that your prospects are high with a 140

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

What have your recent averages been? Near the score you are looking for? I took the LSAT for the first time last November. My first section when the 5 minute mark was called I still had ten questions left and hadn’t bubbled anything any. I never expected to be that far away from finishing. I panicked which turned into a full blown panic attack by section two. I later found out the first section was experimental, made since why it didn’t feel like the rest of the test but still I as so shaken I remember next to nothing for the rest of the test. My first instinct was to cancel. I should have cancelled. Instead I convinced myself to cancel and ended up with the worst score I had ever gotten.
    Take a couple days and really think through the test. Look at your last 5-10 prep tests and really think about if you could have gotten the score you want or if you should cancel. If you decide to cancel you can register for the January LSAT still. I am taking January, was going to take the test today but have been ill for over three weeks and couldn’t. But I feel like January I could really do well and am going to study hard for that one and still try for law school 2020.

• kmdflemingkmdfleming Core Member
    23 karma

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment on here. You’ve honestly helped so much. I’m going to think on it one more day, but I’m pretty sure I’ll cancel and write in January. I think I’ll always regret it if I didn’t go hard now and aim for my best score possible. I think I underestimated how I’d react in the real testing environment and overestimated my abilities after just not enough practice. My goal is to walk out of that exam feeling like I did everything I could have. Then I think I can accept whatever that score may be.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@kmdfleming seems like you’re making the right decision. Both sleeping on it and leaning towards the cancel if you don’t think you were ready.

• prepedonlineprepedonline Free Trial Member
    25 karma

You have to choose cancel your score and abandoning any chance of law school Sept 2020 and taking the LSAT again and applying for Sept 2021 will be better choice. because of A good business school will matter for whole life So i would suggests to go with A.