Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some successful strategies after taking Practice Tests?

Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
edited November 2019 in General 872 karma

What tips/strategies have helped you the most in improving your understanding and/or score between practice tests? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• aadivineaadivine Member
    48 karma

Blind review really helps instead of quantity focus on quality, which means focus on your weaknesses and really get down to the root of the issue of why did you pick that answer..

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Thanks!

• nat2tulanat2tula Alum Member
    75 karma

Between PTs, drilling is your best friend. I might split it up like this, once you take a PT and assess what the main focus of your studying for that week will be: LG/RC/ or LR.

Once you decide which area will be your main focus, on Monday if LR or RC, do a timed section from a fresh test. Then BR that section the same day or the next day, depending how much timing you have. Then check your answers, and prioritize the answers you either got wrong both times, or got wrong on BR but didn't get wrong originally. Last priority is to go over questions you got right both times and questions you weren't 100% sure on. I always made problem sets of all the questions I flagged, and also a separate problem set for each questions I got wrong (either initially or on BR). I then would copy and paste the LR questions or RC questions that I got wrong/had the most trouble with into a google doc, where I would write out the type of question, premises, conclusion, and then method of attack, then write out why each answer choice was wrong and why the correct answer choice was correct. Then I'd write out a key learning from that question. this process helps you see patterns, learn from your mistakes.

The next day (whether Tues or Wed), I would maybe try drilling some LG Games (3-4), usually I would take a whole fresh LG section from a Practice test and do that section. If you have time, BR the section or individual games that you flagged questions for. Then check your answers, and save in a separate problem set each game that you got wrong answers on. Then watch the explanation on 7sage. Then do each game that you didn't do perfectly again, right after watching the video. If you don't get 100% on the next attempt, rinse and repeat until you get them all right for that day. I would also try some old games that you had trouble with, just to confirm you still remember how to do them correctly.

I personally think you're the only one who is actually going to be doing the learning and the tests. Writing out explanations for questions in LR/RC you got wrong takes a lot of time, but it's worth it because that's how you learn from your own mistakes and start seeing patterns.

872 karma

Thank you so much for your detailed response, @nat2tula! This is incredibly helpful.

• nat2tulanat2tula Alum Member
    75 karma

@Hopeful9812 no problem!! feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. I learned a lot about study techniques during this test and want to help!

872 karma

Thanks again, @nat2tula!!