Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LLM, passed bar, and now doing LSAT to go to TOP 14 JD

TlayyyyyyTlayyyyyy Alum Member
edited December 2019 in Law School Admissions 80 karma

I have a super low GPA 3.1 and aiming for 170+ on LSAT.
My background: I am trained abroad. Have a bachelor in Law. Took LL.M in the US from one of the TOP 14 schools, gained eligibility and passed the bar last year.

Because this isn't enough to secure me an opportunity in the US, I decided to pursue JD.
I started LSAT prep 2.5months ago and aiming to apply in Fall 2020.

How high of a chance do I have w/ 170+ and 3.1 undergrad GPA to get into TOP 14?
Any suggestion? I am currnelty getting 155-157 on my LSAT.

Comments

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but just a bit confused here. Since you have your LLM and passed the bar, I'm assuming you already have your JD. So why are you studying for the LSAT?

Also type "7sage predictor" on google and you can see what your chances are with those stats. "Law school numbers" is another good site

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@cooljon525 said:
    Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but just a bit confused here. Since you have your LLM and passed the bar, I'm assuming you already have your JD. So why are you studying for the LSAT?

Also type "7sage predictor" on google and you can see what your chances are with those stats. "Law school numbers" is another good site

Yea you use "TOP 14" twice. First time you say you passed the Bar second time you say you want to go to a TOP 14 law school.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

OP could be a lawyer not trained in the USA. There are schools and bar exams outside the USA.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Honestly I feel like the 3.1 makes it pretty unlikely that you'll get into a T14 even with 170+, unless you're like 175+ and URM and mindblowing personal essay

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    edited December 2019 132 karma

@cooljon525 said:

My understanding is that you can sit the bar in certain states with only an LLM (and not a JD). It sounds like OP obtained an LLM degree from a top 14 school, and passed the bar in one of those states. It is not required to sit the LSAT to do an LLM. However, now OP wishes to get their JD from a top 14 school, and is required to take the LSAT.

I agree that OP should play around with the law school predictor on the 7sage admission site. I think they would need to aim for the highest possible LSAT score (in excess of 175) with only 3.1 GPA, unless URM. I am no admissions guru, but I could only assume that having passed the bar already would reflect well on an applicant, and would be worth highlighting in personal essay.