Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategy for Core Curriculum vs PT

Ct555555Ct555555 Alum Member
in General 22 karma

So I just got 7Sage, however I've been studying for the LSAT for a few months now off and on. I have taken probably ~17 PTs (most of them being pre PT35) and gone through the powerscore Logic Games book as well the Logical reasoning book (didn't find that helpful).

My question is should I put my Practice Tests on hold until I've completed the Core Curriculum? I've only gone through a few units of it so far, but I'm already changing my strategies and seeing new ways to tackle problems.

It seems like it would be a waste to use some of my practice tests before being as ready as I can be from a strategies stand point.

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    edited November 2019 1016 karma

Personally, I have only been using 7Sage and a couple Manhattan Prep books. When I was done with the CC I dove straight into PTs without realizing that I wasn't ready for that step yet. I am attaching a webinar that I found really helpful. After listening to the webinar I got a better understanding of how to determine when I will be ready for PTs. Good luck with everything!

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

^^Thanks for the webinar link! Any chance you could give a really brief summary of why you wouldn't be ready for PT right after CC?

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

I’ve been studying since January, finished the core curriculum around April, and dove right into timed practice tests. I deeply regret this!! I’m now in the late stages of my studies (took October test and am registered for November) and feel like I’m having to start over again. If I could go back, this is the order I would do things:

1. CC
    2. Problem sets organized by question type, UNTIMED, no pressure, take as long as you want. Really grasp the assumptions made in the stimulus and each answer choice. Why is each one right/wrong?
    3. More problem sets but with a stop watch (I guess you don’t really need this anymore with the digital problem sets on 7sage, just adjust settings to infinite time)
    4. Timed problem sets (maybe start with time accommodations and decrease timing gradually)
    5. Practice tests: Timed, extensive blind review, extensive review (usually takes me a week to really review and let the concepts settle in, but I have a full time job)
    6. Go back and do more problem sets according to your 7sage analytics and high priority questions
  • noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

^^Thanks for the advice!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I didnt do any PTs during the CC, but right after I dived into the PTs. It worked well for me, but people have different opinions. For me, I do 1 PT a week and in between drill. But I make sure I get 1 fairly recent PT a week with extensive blind review. Ben and Nathan from Thinking LSAT seem to think the same to, that PTs and full timed sections should pretty much be the bulk of your studying.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    edited November 2019 1016 karma

@noonawoon I didn't have a strong understanding of the basics after I had gone through the CC. For example, for LG I didn't even know the difference between a "follower" and a "leader." Not knowing something this basic really hindered my ability to make inferences and consequently I struggled to answer any LG questions correctly. When I was taking PTs I was at a complete loss not just with LG but LR as well. With LR I was able to remember the different question stems, but struggled to remember what each question stem requires you to do (which is kinda of important haha). When I was venting to a friend who has already gone through this process she gave me a really good piece of advice. She said that during PTs you should never feel like you're a deer caught in headlights. I definitely felt that way throughout the entire PT. I'm taking the next month to go over the areas where there are still gaps. My game plan looks pretty similar to that outlined by @a l ex_682. Currently on steps 2-4. Hope this helps!

• axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
    256 karma

@a1ex_682 said:
    I’ve been studying since January, finished the core curriculum around April, and dove right into timed practice tests. I deeply regret this!! I’m now in the late stages of my studies (took October test and am registered for November) and feel like I’m having to start over again. If I could go back, this is the order I would do things:

1. CC
    2. Problem sets organized by question type, UNTIMED, no pressure, take as long as you want. Really grasp the assumptions made in the stimulus and each answer choice. Why is each one right/wrong?
    3. More problem sets but with a stop watch (I guess you don’t really need this anymore with the digital problem sets on 7sage, just adjust settings to infinite time)
    4. Timed problem sets (maybe start with time accommodations and decrease timing gradually)
    5. Practice tests: Timed, extensive blind review, extensive review (usually takes me a week to really review and let the concepts settle in, but I have a full time job)
    6. Go back and do more problem sets according to your 7sage analytics and high priority questions

Hello, thank you so much for this advice. For each of the 6 parts you stated, how long should we spend for each one or how long would you recommend? like 1 month for each one and a few months for the PTs? Thanks!

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

@axbSunDev
    Hi, I think that would really depend on your personal timeline and how quickly you’re running through the drills. It might take longer or shorter than you’re expecting. But, the vast majority of studying should be dedicated to timed PT’s and extensive blind review. I just wish I had done more drills and got to know my weak points better before diving into that.